Hands-only CPR, pushy dispatchers are lifesavers

Dark Knight

Reaction score
ATLANTA – More bystanders are willing to attempt CPR if an emergency dispatcher gives them firm and direct instructions — especially if they can just press on the chest and skip the mouth-to-mouth, according to new research.

The two new studies conclude that "hands-only" chest compression is enough to save a life. They are the largest and most rigorous yet to suggest that breathing into a victim's mouth isn't needed in most cases.

The American Heart Association has been promoting hands-only CPR for two years, though it's not clear how much it's caught on. The new studies should encourage dispatchers and bystanders to be more aggressive about using the simpler technique.

"That could translate into hundreds if not thousands of additional lives saved each year. What are we waiting for?" said Dr. Arthur Kellermann, a RAND Corporation expert on emergency medicine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100729/ap_on_he_me/us_med_hands_only_cpr

I remember this in Brittany Murphey, but as a medical professional, who used to lead code teams, it goes against every fiber of my being.
the reason for rescue breaths is that you are giving the body 02 and compressions distribute that 02. No 02 will allow brain damage and not breathing is not breathing!

I remember this in Brittany Murphey, but as a medical professional, who used to lead code teams, it goes against every fiber of my being.
the reason for rescue breaths is that you are giving the body 02 and compressions distribute that 02. No 02 will allow brain damage and not breathing is not breathing!

As far back as I remember and I was taught, breathing is an important and lifesaving part of this technique. I don't think doing away with it is fair to the pt. in crisis mode.

Thanks SunnieRN.

Goz

The blood stays highly oxygenated for a lot longer than was previously believed. In my last series of CPR-pro classes, we were taught how the emphasis was on fewer breaths and more chest pumping to keep that blood circulating. If you are the only person available to do CPR, stopping to give breaths is defeating the purpose because circulation stops while you are giving the breaths. Obviously, there is a finite period of time where chest pumping alone will be effective, and rescue breaths should also be taught, in my opinion.

I have also taken Neonatal Resuscitation as a part of my training, and the emphasis there is opposite. A baby is born with low oxygen levels (actually lives in uterine in an oxygen depleted environment), so the first breaths are absolutely critical to successfully resuscitating a newly born baby.

But a person who was just breathing moments before a crisis should have highly oxygenated blood already.

I understand completely what you are saying. I really feel however, that in a situation of a single rescue provider, that help will not usually arrive in time that a person can survive with compressions only.

I understand completely what you are saying. I really feel however, that in a situation of a single rescue provider, that help will not usually arrive in time that a person can survive with compressions only.

That could be very true. I liked the part in the article where they mentioned that dispatchers who simply proceed to give CPR instruction were more successful in getting callers to act than those who asked whether the person was willing first. So many people are disposed to just do what they are told. I think this factor might be even more significant than whether using breaths or not.

Another factor to consider, is that in my understanding the Good Samaritan laws protect a person only if they proceed in the manner they were trained (or in the case of dispatcher instruction, following instruction). So in the event any of us are in this situation, we should proceed with our training and not deviate because of some news article. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back