Have you seen me?

On the birth certificate you should find the Doctor's name, and the hospital name. Try them as they would also have records. On the hosp. check under both your name and your mother's name. Do you know who your doctor was when you were a baby? If you do, contact him to see what is in your records. Check your school records, there should be a copy of your birth certificate there, see if it is the same as the one you have. The address where your parents were living when you were born should also be there. That is a long shot, but you might try to find a long time resident that lived in that neighborhood then.

SpongeBathHotPants said:
I sent an email to my mother's sister and she said that she wasn't around when my mom was pregnant. She says that my parent's (they were big time hippies) were living on an apple vineyard while she was pregnant. I wonder if that is why I like apples so much LOL. I will keep trying though.

Spongebath - do you really want to know?

Being created in an apple orchard is a pleasant place to start. Do you think, with all the research you could do, that you will find out your beginnings are more comforting or nicer than that?

So often people who research their heritage are really crushed, and hurt, and have a hard time reconciling their parents.

Bless your heart. It's heartbreaking to think of what you're going through, but maybe you should read Cider House Rules by John Irving, a bestseller, and consider yourself that baby conceived in an apple orchard.

Blessings for you. You don't have to take on the burdens of your parents. You can just create your own persona and be who you want to be.

Thank you Honeywest...that rules out my "dad"His middle name is/was Francis,and my Aunt referred to him as "Fran". Was nice to have hopes up again tho. Forgot how good that felt after 23 years of looking !!! I was wondering how to find out the middle name of the Steuben J.Roy so I really appreciate the info.

Sometimes there are geneology research groups in your local area. They might meet at the local library or the local library might know how to contact them.

They might be able to assist you since they often sort of network info through each other & they often have lists of cemetaries etc that might be helpful.

NanaMcZoo said:
Thank you Honeywest...that rules out my "dad"His middle name is/was Francis,and my Aunt referred to him as "Fran". Was nice to have hopes up again tho. Forgot how good that felt after 23 years of looking !!! I was wondering how to find out the middle name of the Steuben J.Roy so I really appreciate the info.
Nana, still get those 2 death certificates (Roy and Ray) and look for obits, etc. Because they both have the name Joseph that may mean they are cousins. In fact, having the same 1st name may be why he was called Fran - in order to keep family confusion at bay. It can be frustrating and confusing, but this is how you find someone - you do it by finding someone else (or get really really lucky). It took 8 months to find the other father I mentioned, lots of false leads, lots of leads that went no where, but eventually BINGO.

A "metaphone" search of SSDI revealed another listing:

Joseph F. Roy 6/12/1926-1/5/1994
No birthplace listed, but the card was issued in Connecticut
Last residence: Delavan, WI (Walworth County)
041-20-7335

I wish I had more to go on for Spongey :(

OH WOW !!! When all this came out in 82, I contacted some relatives of my "daddy" to see if they knew or had heard of anything about real dad. His family was always very mean and nasty to me from childhood on and I never knew why. Anyway..one of those people said my real dad was probably in a jail in Connecticut...that is what she had heard as a little girl herself. I queried her again over the years and she said said that is all she remembered THE grandmother saying,but that her mom said it wasn't true. They are all dead now.
I think this might be the guy...gosh..Wisconsin is sooo close to Mich.

H0NEYWEST said:
A "metaphone" search of SSDI revealed another listing:

Joseph F. Roy 6/12/1926-1/5/1994
No birthplace listed, but the card was issued in Connecticut
Last residence: Delavan, WI (Walworth County)
041-20-7335

I wish I had more to go on for Spongey :(

You can order this death record here

Thank you...I tried and it won't let me without providing info I don't have ( his mothers name,etc. Any secrets to doing this? I so want to get on the phone and call every Roy in Wi. but I know better than to try that.

NanaMcZoo said:
Thank you...I tried and it won't let me without providing info I don't have ( his mothers name,etc. Any secrets to doing this? I so want to get on the phone and call every Roy in Wi. but I know better than to try that.
Nana, in some states it's really getting difficult to obtain records since 9/11. I suggest calling and finding out what information you need to send in. If you have to state a relationship say father/daughter. Put 'unknown' for his parents names. And go ahead and call those Roy's! Call and ask for him by name, if they say "sorry" then ask if they've ever known anyone by that name, and ask if they have a parent/grandparent/Aunt/Uncle or other relative of that generation who you could call and ask - and always leave your number. You gotta work it girl! I made a lot of cold calls when looking for my friends bio-family. If you need a story, then tell them your Dad was a Navy buddy of his and wants to get in touch (until you find out more).

SpongeBath, it kinda sounds like you were adopted. My birth certificate was issued one year after I was born, because that is when the adoption was finalized. I was held in a foster home for the first three weeks, so no early pics. That is how long a birth mom has to change her mind.

Single moms put "father unknown" when the dad is relinquishing his rights--so he can't come back and petition for custody. It's also a way of promising the man he won't be hit up for child support down the road.

So maybe your case is half an adoption--birth mom and adoptive dad.

SpongeBathHotPants said:
Well I have always wondered if my father was my real father. Every woman on both my mom and my dad's side are all under 5'5 and I am 5'8. They all have dark hair and eyes and I have dark blonde hair with green eyes. My mom dated this guy all through high school and he went away to the Navy after high school and they broke up. So mom hooks up with dad and then they break up in Feb and she goes home to NH. the ex BF comes home the December before and he is there the whole time. Well mom and dad get back together in June and mom finds out that she is pregnant with me and I was born in February. According to mom I was really early but I weighed 6 pounds. If there is anyone here that lived in Franklin NH in 1974 let me know. It is a tiny town and I have a few questions. Also, if anyone knows of a little girl under the age of 1 that was kidnapped or missing in 1975 let me know. My whole family is from upstate NY and NH so if it rings a bell let me know.
---------------------

Do you have any idea what hospital you were born in? It's a long shot but if you do,call and explain. They may be able to help.Check the Franklin City hall also.Good luck.

docwho3 said:
Sometimes there are geneology research groups in your local area. They might meet at the local library or the local library might know how to contact them.

They might be able to assist you since they often sort of network info through each other & they often have lists of cemetaries etc that might be helpful.

If you don't have a geneology society, you might try the historical society. Someone there may be experienced in tracing geneology.

Spongebath, NanaMczoo have you had any luck?

Go back to the last town/school you attended and look up school records, census records, hospital records (may be difficult but you could try). What was the last town you ever remember living in and how old were you at the time if you don't mind my asking? Also, did any other family members ever tell you where you were born, or where you "used to live?" Start there and work your way back. Try looking at court records---(not implying anything bad) but sometimes court records can reflect quite a bit.

Do you know your mother's previous occupation(s)? Try employment records, sometimes they list spouse/dependents/household member info. Also, insurance beneficiaries, joint loans on automobiles, etc. Sometimes school records list the occupations of your parents, and if so you might be able to trace back to employment for your father/mother which could reveal some information. I don't know how much luck you would have at trying to obtain this info but I believe if you are tracing parents the laws might be a little more lenient. A geneologist that has experience with helping adopted people trace ancestry might be helpful. Good luck to you and keep us updated. Maybe more ideas will come forth.

I have a cousin who had several adopted siblings who were first foster children before adoptions, and she researched each one somehow with the assistance of an agency....can't remember what it was called but I'll email her and see. Anyway, there were about 5 or 6 of them and she researched and contacted them. She planned a meeting, and they all and they had a "reunion" in which they all met one another and told about their lives. Although they do not remain in close contact now, at least they know where one another is. It was interesting to say the least how 2 brothers were successful musicians and they played the same instrument!! Two other siblings lived in the same town and didn't know each other until the meeting! (Sorry, I'm off on a tangent now).

Anyway good luck.

Nore said:
---------------------

Do you have any idea what hospital you were born in? It's a long shot but if you do,call and explain. They may be able to help.Check the Franklin City hall also.Good luck.

Hey everyone, Just a quick update. Although I still wonder about it I think for now I will let it rest. I am happy with the life I have and don't want to take the chance that I could cause a world of hurt. So for now it is all good. Thanks for all of the great posts!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back