Heat Waves in Western Europe, U.S., Summer 2022

Currently is 33c in Stockholm which is really hot, there are many disturbances in train traffic in many parts of Sweden and many buses are affected too.
Bus I used was so hot I had to get out because I thought I will pass out.I worked so had to use commute, I decided to call uber instead.
It’s only one hot day but it’s tough if you can’t stay off work.

A milestone in UK climate history​

A press release about the recent severe heat wave from the UK Met Office.

Author: Press Office
15:24 (UTC+1) on Fri 22 Jul 2022

A new event summary from the Met Office shows that the UK’s recent extreme heat was far more intense and widespread than previous comparable heatwaves. This was the first time 40°C has been recorded in the UK.

A new record daily maximum temperature was provisionally reached on 19 July, with 40.3°C recorded at Coningsby, Lincolnshire, exceeding the previous record by 1.6°C. A total of 46 stations across the UK exceeded the previous UK record of 38.7°C. Many long-running stations with 100+ year records recorded their highest ever temperature, some by extraordinary margins of 3 to 4°C. Records were set overnight too, when Kenley Airfield, Greater London, recorded a new highest minimum temperature of 25.8°C.

New provisional national temperature records were also set for Wales and Scotland. On 18 July, 37.1°C was recorded at Hawarden Airport, Flintshire, while 35.1°C was reached at Floors Castle, Borders on 19 July.

The post-event report from the Met Office shows that the record-breaking temperatures seen as part of the heatwave demonstrate much more widespread and significant heat than previous noteworthy extreme heat events.

(more at link including an interesting GIF image I couldn't figure out how to post here)

A heat wave that has blanketed much of the country this week will peak in the Northeast on Thursday, with potentially record-breaking temperatures described as “oppressive” in National Weather Service forecasts. Temperatures will reach the mid-to-high 90s across the region, with heat indexes over 100.

Parts of upstate New York, eastern New Jersey, southern New Hampshire and Pennsylvania could break records set in 1944, during a sweltering August heat wave that The New York Times later described as “A Month Too Hot for Satan” — Satan being an overheated vulture at the Bronx Zoo.

The heat spike comes less than two weeks after another sizzling heat wave across the Northeast, in which records were broken throughout the region.

Few parts of the country have been spared this summer’s sweaty misery. The week started with dangerous heat receding from the Pacific Northwest, after a string of high temperatures that may have killed more than a dozen people in Oregon.

The heat then soared again across the Central Plains — which has been scorching for most of the summer, enduring historic strings of triple-digit temperatures — and into the southern Great Lakes region and even Montana by midweek.

A heat wave that has blanketed much of the country this week will peak in the Northeast on Thursday, with potentially record-breaking temperatures described as “oppressive” in National Weather Service forecasts. Temperatures will reach the mid-to-high 90s across the region, with heat indexes over 100.

Parts of upstate New York, eastern New Jersey, southern New Hampshire and Pennsylvania could break records set in 1944, during a sweltering August heat wave that The New York Times later described as “A Month Too Hot for Satan” — Satan being an overheated vulture at the Bronx Zoo.

The heat spike comes less than two weeks after another sizzling heat wave across the Northeast, in which records were broken throughout the region.

Few parts of the country have been spared this summer’s sweaty misery. The week started with dangerous heat receding from the Pacific Northwest, after a string of high temperatures that may have killed more than a dozen people in Oregon.

The heat then soared again across the Central Plains — which has been scorching for most of the summer, enduring historic strings of triple-digit temperatures — and into the southern Great Lakes region and even Montana by midweek.
Oh I like this saying..... “A Month Too Hot for Satan”

Oregon authorities are investigating four additional deaths possibly linked to last week’s scorching heat wave that encompassed much of the Pacific Northwest, bringing the total number of suspected deaths from hyperthermia to 14.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday that the designation of heat-related death is preliminary and requires further investigation.

Multnomah County, which is home to Portland, recorded seven deaths suspected to be related to heat, the highest of any Oregon county. Portland and Seattle set records Sunday for most consecutive days of high temperatures. ...

Europe is suffering under a severe heat wave and drought that has produced tragic consequences for farmers and ecosystems already under threat from climate change and pollution.

In France, which is enduring its worst drought on record, flames raged through pine forests overnight, illuminating the sky with an intense orange light in the Gironde region, which was already ravaged by flames last month, and in neighboring Landes. More than 68 square kilometers (26 square miles) have burned since Tuesday.

Along the Oder River, which flows from Czechia north into the Baltic Sea, volunteers have been collecting dead fish that have washed ashore in Poland and Germany.

Piotr Nieznanski, the conservation policy director at WWF Poland, said it appears that a toxic chemical was released into the water by an industry and the low water levels caused by the drought has made conditions far more dangerous for the fish.

The National Farmers Union also said 'tinder dry' standing crops and parched grass posed a huge risk of fires spreading as Britons were urged not to have barbecues in case it starts blazes amid warnings that fire brigades are already too stretched to cope.

Hosepipe bans have already been announced for around 17million people – and another 15million could soon join them. Parts of southern England had the driest July since records began, and reservoir levels have fallen to their lowest levels in last 30 years.

28-year-old reveller has been killed and another 20 are injured after heavy 40mph winds brought down part of the stage at a Spanish music festival - as wildfires and droughts sweep Europe in the Continent's worst climate crisis in 500 years.

Organisers have suspended the Medusa Festival, a huge five-day electronic music festival held over six days in the east coast town of Cullera south of Valencia whose headline acts this year included French DJ David Guetta, in the aftermath of the horrific 4am sandstorm.

The gusts brought down several heavy metallic structures, including the entrance billboard, and killed one man and several revellers.

The National Farmers Union also said 'tinder dry' standing crops and parched grass posed a huge risk of fires spreading as Britons were urged not to have barbecues in case it starts blazes amid warnings that fire brigades are already too stretched to cope.

Hosepipe bans have already been announced for around 17million people – and another 15million could soon join them. Parts of southern England had the driest July since records began, and reservoir levels have fallen to their lowest levels in last 30 years.
This is just getting worse and worse!

28-year-old reveller has been killed and another 20 are injured after heavy 40mph winds brought down part of the stage at a Spanish music festival - as wildfires and droughts sweep Europe in the Continent's worst climate crisis in 500 years.

Organisers have suspended the Medusa Festival, a huge five-day electronic music festival held over six days in the east coast town of Cullera south of Valencia whose headline acts this year included French DJ David Guetta, in the aftermath of the horrific 4am sandstorm.

The gusts brought down several heavy metallic structures, including the entrance billboard, and killed one man and several revellers.
Wow--this article and photos really shocked me! The heat, drought, and wildfires in Europe are severe and scary.

From the article:

Europe's weather crisis, country by country​

France
Wildfires burning in at least four locations - the worst of which is in Gironde, where 10,000 people have been evacuated from their homes.
Country is also going through the worst drought in its history, with 100 villages now without drinking water.

Germany
Widespread drought has dropped the level of the Rhine river so far that it will soon become impassable to barges carrying coal, oil and goods.
Should the river become blocked it will cause huge economic damage. The last time that happened - in 2018 - the country narrowly avoided falling into recession.

Italy
The River Po, which runs across the affluent north, is dangerously low - threatening farms that rely on it to water their crops.
Stretches are so low that sunken ships are reemerging, and an old WW2 bomb was even uncovered and had to be defused.

Spain
Having suffered through a record heatwave in July, crucial reservoirs in Spain are now running close to empty - with weeks of summer left to go.
The Cijara reservoir, near Madrid, is around 84 per cent empty while the Vinuela reservoir in the arid south - near Malaga - is 87 per cent empty

Portugal
A large wildfire is burning out of control in central Portugal, just weeks after dozens of blazes tore through the country during a 40C heatwave.

Switzerland
A glacial mountain pass, covered in ice for the last 2,000 years, will become ice-free in the next few days - the first time since the Romans were conquering Europe that it will have been fully exposed.

It is worrying that so many crops across Europe will be badly affected by the drought.
Yes it’s really worrying, I honestly can’t wait for September to come by it’s way too hot. I’m looking forward to a bit colder weather.

Yes it’s really worrying, I honestly can’t wait for September to come by it’s way too hot. I’m looking forward to a bit colder weather.

Hopefully temperatures will be down to mid 20s next week in England. I am hoping we have a mild winter as the cost of gas and electricity is soaring in price and there is the possibility that there could be power shortages this winter.

Talk about hot nights, America got some for the history books last month.

The continental United States in July set a record for overnight warmth, providing little relief from the day’s sizzling heat for people, animals, plants and the electric grid, meteorologists said.
[...]

Scientists have long talked about nighttime temperatures -- reflected in increasingly hotter minimum readings that usually occur after sunset and before sunrise -- being crucial to health.

A glacial mountain pass, covered in ice for the last 2,000 years, will become ice-free in the next few days

I guess we knew these climate-change-fueled permanent changes were coming, but doesn't it make you scared about the future?

So I’m visiting friends in Spain now ( Madrid) and it’s hell, impossible to get out of the house luckily they have ac.
I live in Sweden but heat is coming there too 31 c tomorrow and I’m flying tonight back home

I shall be in Sweden next week! And I did look at the temps - and here I thought it would be much cooler there - NOT! :(
I shall be staying near Malmo/Lund so too far from Stockholm! :) Otherwise I would come visit you!

I shall be in Sweden next week! And I did look at the temps - and here I thought it would be much cooler there - NOT! :(
I shall be staying near Malmo/Lund so too far from Stockholm! :) Otherwise I would come visit you!
Oh that would have been awesome if you stayed closer to Stockholm. This is brutal 29 currently.
Its gonna be pretty warm but I think the temp will go down a bit luckily.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back