TX - Heidi Broussard, 33 Found Deceased, & Margo Carey, 2 weeks, Found Alive Austin, 12 Dec 2019 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty standard protocol in a missing infant case like this, that when they fortunately found the child alive, they took to the hospital for a full medical examination. Even if she appeared in good condition. Also they could do the DNA test at the hospital as well to officially confirm that this was in fact Baby Margo. I think all that part is standard operating procedure for a case like this.

I don't think it's odd that CPS got involved. MF was taken into custody (and clearly NOT the mother), and no parent/guardian :( was there in Houston to protect or care for Margo.

I’m not an idiot LOL.

Like I said, I had the facts mixed up. I thought someone had called CPS and that a caseworker responded to a report of abuse or neglect, and that they took the infant to the hospital and THEN police figured out it was baby Margo.

Just curious. Some questions about search warrant consent for our lawyers (and others in the know):

1) Can a landlord provide consent to search a property leased by a tenant?

2). If multiple people are on a deed, does LE need to get consent from every owner, or just one?
Law enforcement can look at lease paperwork and a landlord can open the door for them for a welfare check. They would have to have a warrant for an actual search. That is the apartment business, houses may be different. They probably didn't have a lease, IMO

Oh my goodness, this is such a good post and so helpful! What good information!! Thank you!! I did not mean to make it sound as though a lesser or sketchy place to give birth; I’ve simply never heard of one (I have one kid who is barely a kid) and just didn’t know why the media seemed to lend credence to the idea that giving birth there made it excusable that her friends didn’t know about the baby, if that makes sense.

Oh definitely! I meant the article making it out to be sketchy not you, sorry! But it is a super common misconception because many people (even those with kids) don’t realize that there are so many options when giving birth. To have an undocumented baby, she would have to give birth completely unattended- if her attending health practitioner didn’t fill out paperwork, they could be stripped of their right to practice! So I think that’s what the media is alluding to, but it definitely wouldn’t be the case for a birth centre.

It was a great question!

Yes, and going by the date of the ad, it was about 2 months before Heidi would have become pregnant, which kinda played into MF's hands (if that's what the ad was really about).
And the fact that the crib is still listed and never "sold" especially at such a cheap price. I tried reverse image searching on it to see if she just grabbed a pic from another listing or online, but nothing came up. The timing is definitely suspect.

I’m not an idiot LOL.

Like I said, I had the facts mixed up. I thought someone had called CPS and that a caseworker responded to a report of abuse or neglect, and that they took the infant to the hospital and THEN police figured out it was baby Margo.
Ha, sorry! I wrote my response before I even saw the other comment and your reply! And it's easy to mix up some of those facts surrounding finding the baby because the reporting has been all over the place. The only idiot here is that MF!

And the fact that the crib is still listed and never "sold" especially at such a cheap price. I tried reverse image searching on it to see if she just grabbed a pic from another listing or online, but nothing came up. The timing is definitely suspect.

Ha, sorry! I wrote my response before I even saw the other comment and your reply! And it's easy to mix up some of those facts surrounding finding the baby because the reporting has been all over the place. The only idiot here is that MF!

No problem!

AGREED, MF is the idiot here.

In the olden days in Texas a guilty plea wasn't allowed for capital offenses, but I don't know if that's still the case.

I'm a bit back in the thread so this may have been addressed already, but I believe the supreme court has ruled a judge cannot dole out the death penalty, only a jury, so if she pleads guilty, there would still be a penalty phase trial.

Texas isn't all that big on cameras in the courtroom and live streaming, the last high profile trial here in Houston we only got to see openings, closings and the verdict, similar to most trials in Texas lately, as far as I've noticed.

I’m really curious to learn when HB died. The fact that she was transferred to a second vehicle in Houston, found outside MF’s home and we’ve seen no reports anyone was alerted by the smell of decomposition makes me wonder if HB was actually alive but captive for a few days. I hope not—the horror would be unimaginable.
she was transferred to a second vehicle? Where did that come from?

Thanks, I found the quote you linked to:
As the week progressed, this current week, a lead was generated that created a location of interest in the Houston area, in Harris County. Federal, state, and local resources deployed to that area of Harris County and began to investigate a resident there.

I take that to mean a lead/tip led them to that house/MF. Will be interesting to see if anything more comes out -- if the tip came from surveillance cameras, the car, or someone calling in report suspicions or odd behavior of MF.

I don't see anything in MSM or from LE about a relative or specific person reporting abuse to CPS.

This is an ongoing investigation and investigators are not going to identify who contacted CPS -- at least not at this time.

People don't only call CPS just for suspected child abuse. They call if they think a child is left alone in the house too long without adequate supervision while mom goes to the store, or they're worried a parent is ill or in bed and unable to properly care for their children. (Texas doesn't have a minimum age law where a child can't be left alone).

For this case, let's assume this hypothetical scenario:

On Thursday, Dec 12, HB and her newborn daughter vanish without a trace -- it's national news. If MF and HB were bff's since childhood -- more than 20 years-- it's likely HB would be like a daughter to MF's own family.

Your daughter (that may or may not have been pregnant) suddenly presents with a baby girl at the very same time that one very close to her goes missing. MF seemingly had the baby all on her own, allegedly at a birthing center, but she won't let the grandparents, aunts, uncles, see their new grandchild. The whole thing is very suspicious -- and the family wants to help just as Tammy came to help her daughter HB.

It's been one week now and the family thinks there's a baby in the house because they heard crying but MF won't allow the family to come visit. MF's mom is worried about her daughter and alleged grandbaby and calls CPS and asks if they can do a welfare check because her daughter has a newborn baby under very suspicious and stressful circumstances. She tells them her daughter's best friend and baby have also been missing for a week.

There's been no update on the investigation and MF's mom is sick with worry about both her daughter and HB too. Mom is very concerned about the state of her daughter and grandbaby under the circumstances.

At CPS request, Cy-Fair VFD goes out on the welfare check and finds MF at home with a baby in a swing. VFD is also aware of the resident's missing bff and her infant. The baby in the swing resembles the missing baby, and MF is being very evasive. All forces land on the property where they proceed with caution to remove the baby from the house and transport her by ambulance to the hospital.

In the meantime, investigators are learning MF has no birth certificate for her baby, there's no record of her at the birthing center, and the case is now wide open. Investigators know they found the baby and now they're searching for HB.

MF's car was hidden out of view from the street -- almost on the rear patio. We don't know if MF drove her car to Austin as the registration was expired, and no proof of insurance. There's also a problem with her driver's license. It doesn't follow that MF would risk driving that vehicle with expired tags to Austin when she could be pulled over with more penalties than expired registration.

Also, it appears that both MF's driver's license and/or her vehicle registration did not reflect her current address. If MF driving her own vehicle, I just don't think LE could track MF to Bo Jack Dr in Houston from surveillance video.

MOO

Last edited:
Are there any mamas in here who can give me insight into a birth center? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that MF told people she gave birth to “Luna” in a birth center, and it is mentioned as though it might be some sort of shortcut to a hospital. What’s the deal? Is there less documentation there? Shorter stay? Cheaper? What’s the draw and difference from hospital labor?
I had two out of three at a birth center. Basically, the purpose is to treat birth as a normal process instead of something that needs medical intervention. The rooms are set up like normal bedrooms, while they do periodically monitor the baby they don't keep a monitor strapped to you. No epidurals, they will give certain other pain meds upon request, or at least upon begging, lol, since the idea is to minimize any medical intervention. They have bathtubs available since that's supposed to help with pain and relaxation. You can be in whatever position you want, no laying on your back in stirrups, and can move around, walk, whatever you feel like doing. Most of all, they leave you alone unless you want them to be there. They are staffed by regular nurses and doctors, but also have midwives. The ones I was at were adjacent to hospitals, but a lot of them aren't. And yes, generally you are out within 24 hours. There shouldn't be any difference in paperwork, but the cost should generally be less as there is less medical intervention.

I highly recommend birth centers over hospital deliveries. My first was a normal hospital delivery, with epidural, and it was horrible.

I love my girl friends, but I'm not going to invite them to my OB appointments? Did Heidi go to MF's appointments too?

Mr. Carbuff came to mine, but if for some reason he hadn't been around, I might have asked a friend to come. Some of the friends seem to be saying that HB and SC had been separated for a while, so maybe while they weren't together, she needed the friend.

I’m really only alarmed by the change in her eyes over the years - which very much appears to me to be consistent with alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and high stress. Her weight and hair can be explained so many ways, but the eyes are... odd. JMO
Wow. They could all be different people.

There is lots of research on mental illness and the eyes. You should google it. It makes for an interesting read.

My first thought when I saw her mugshot was that it reminded me of these three mass shooters:

James Holmes
505c98d9eab8eace4700000f

RTR358GS.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/19/us/colorado-theater-shooting-fast-facts/index.html

Robert Dear
160428-robert-dear-clinic-shooting_7a80afe55ac424450e03568bc8686242.fit-1000w.jpg

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna564506

Adam Lanza
images

adam-lanzajpg.jpg

https://www.biography.com/crime-figure/adam-lanza

Last edited:
This scenario would make the most sense to me for the CPS arriving on the scene:
- after painstakingly combing through security tape at Heidi’s apartment complex, a car was IDed by LE as a vehicle of interest.
- that car was traced through records or as part of the investigation to the address in Jersey Village in the Houston area.
- a baby was discovered at this location, and since this location was connected to a kidnapping, CPS was called by LE in the interest of protecting the child.

I think things got real when a baby was found, and since they had no way of knowing for sure at that point if the baby was Margo, CPS was called while they sorted it all out.

Just MOO.
Or someone visiting saw a two week old baby they knew didn't belong to her?

Even with the planning do you go from NEVER having committed a violent crime to expertly incapacitating your best friend, kidnapping her and a child, strangling her and leaving her in your trunk? Even Israel Keyes didn’t start out with what he considered a successful first attack. It really makes me wonder about an accomplice. If not, it’s hard for me to get my mind around your first violent crime being so heinous and involved, regardless of the planning.
I agree. My problem is that every time I think she definitely had an accomplice, I remember that her body was still in the trunk of MF’s car. I can’t think of a scenario where that would be the case if she had help, but I can see a scenario where MF managed to somehow put her in the trunk but didn’t factor in the newborn baby that would most certainly require her immediate attention. She probably thought she could deal with it later—without considering the rate/stages of decomposition and the nightmare she‘d have on her hands in just a few short hours. be facing in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member