Helen Gurley Brown, longtime Cosmo editor & sexual revolution champion, dead at 90

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Longtime Cosmo editor Helen Gurley Brown has died (AP)
Helen Gurley Brown, the longtime editor of Cosmopolitan magazine who invited millions of women to join the sexual revolution, has died. She was 90.
---
“Sex and the Single Girl,” her grab-bag book of advice, opinion, and anecdote on why being single shouldn't mean being sexless, made a celebrity of the 40-year-old advertising copywriter in 1962.

Three years later, she was hired by Hearst Magazines to turn around the languishing Cosmopolitan and it became her bully pulpit for the next 32 years.
---
much more at link above

Well, my hat's off to her for her business accomplishments, and for helping usher in the sexual revolution, but as far as her work at Cosmo goes, I think that rag has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to sexualizing and objectifying women, and for pushing harmful body image standards. :snooty:

RIP tho, of course. :innocent:

RIP Helen. Why do I have a feeling she went kicking and screaming?

"Good girls go to heaven, but bad girls go everywhere."
~Helen Gurley Brown~

R.I.P. Helen Gurley Brown

Well, my hat's off to her for her business accomplishments, and for helping usher in the sexual revolution, but as far as her work at Cosmo goes, I think that rag has been one of the worst offenders when it comes to sexualizing and objectifying women, and for pushing harmful body image standards. :snooty:

RIP tho, of course. :innocent:

Totally agree. Every time I see Cosmo in the grocery store, it's the same.."50 Ways To Please Your Man!" "What HE Really Wants!", etc, etc...

Totally agree. Every time I see Cosmo in the grocery store, it's the same.."50 Ways To Please Your Man!" "What HE Really Wants!", etc, etc...

Odd that they chose a 30year old picture of the "feminist" to print.

Sali Hughes in the Guardian:

Helen Gurley Brown: how to have it all
Helen Gurley Brown, creator of the Cosmopolitan magazine brand as we know it, died in Manhattan on Monday. To many, she is the founding mother of women's magazine publishing and the woman who first put the concept of sex and single girls into the mainstream. Decades before Sex and the City and 50 Shades of Grey, and at a time when single women couldn't even obtain a mortgage, Cosmopolitan was telling them to celebrate their unmarried status, demanding better sex, better orgasms and better men.
---
the rest at link above

Helen Gurley Brown's complicated feminist legacy
(CNN) -- Longtime Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown was a self-described "devout feminist" who paradoxically preached that "if you're not a sex object, you're in trouble." Another of her famous quips had it that "good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere."

Since her death Monday at age 90, how the original "Cosmo girl's" contrasting ideas became manifest in the pages of her iconic magazine has stirred debate over whether she left the world a better place for women.
---
the rest at CNN link above

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member