Henry Lee Lucas - "Confession" killer

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by kporter, Jul 20, 2019.

1. kporter

kporter Member

We (Utah Cold Case Coalition) are looking into one of the hundreds of cases to which Henry Lee Lucas confessed back in the 1980s. So many of his confessions were debunked/recanted/improbable, understandably the victim's family is skeptical. Is there a recognized Henry Lee Lucas expert? Or a central database of Lucas material, including a list of Lucas's confessions that have been disproved/called into question?

neesaki and RookieInvestigator like this.

2. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

3. RookieInvestigator

RookieInvestigator Well-Known Member

I'm unsure about a Henry Lucas expert but several people on Websleuths are familiar with him...I can try to assist you by providing useful information I come across...

Here's a link to a timeline of his life you can download...I was unable to attach the doc to this post...

HENRY LUCAS TIMELINE

Here's a link to an American Justice YouTube video on Henry Lucas...This episode discusses the murder of his mother, his landlady, Toole's niece and how he tricked law enforcement...I posted the video on another thread...

After watching it again recently, I realized Lucas attempted to draw sketches of his victims...IMO, I think it's possible Samuel Little is trying to emulate Lucas and obtain publicity and better treatment in prison...

4. RookieInvestigator

RookieInvestigator Well-Known Member

Here's info on a still unidentified female victim that Lucas claimed he killed...His confession can be taken with a grain of salt...

Notorious Texas serial killer, Henry Lee Lucas, confessed to killing up to 3,000 people but was only convicted of 11 homicides.

Among the 11 convicted deaths was that of an unidentified girl between the ages of 13 - 17, allegedly from Durham, North Carolina.

...Lucas confessed to Cheryl's murder in 1984. He led investigators to the place where the body was found and was able to give details only the killer would know.

The teen is believed to have been Caucasian or Hispanic with auburn colored hair (which is under analysis to see if it was dyed or natural) and measured between 5 feet 1 inches and 5 feet 3 inches.

She was also wearing a 1904 gold St. Gauden's coin made into a ring that was sold in teen magazines in the 70s and 80s.

WEBSLEUTHS
    NAMUS
    ARTICLE (2018)

5. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

Here is a recent report about this killer:

Get Access

6. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Believer of Miracles

Marla Scharp, 26, was killed in her Provo apartment 41 years ago while her roommates were out. Lucas - who died in a Texas prison in 2001 and once claimed to have killed nearly 600 people in 26 states - admitted to the slaying in 1984.

But after Marla's cousin, Valerie Colgain, asked the Utah Cold Case Coalition to take a look at the case his confession was called into question.

The coalition - which says could be up 80 more closed cases in the same situation - believes Lucas, who went back on many of his confessions, did not commit the crime.

It is this new evidence that has now forced Provo Police Department to reopen the case, The Herald Extra reports.

And website Henry Lee Lucas confessions states: 'In the 1980s, hundreds of murders were 'solved' by Henry Lee Lucas confessions, most of which were later debunked. Many cases were reopened. Many others need to be.'

Utah Cold Case Coalition co-founder Karra Porter added: 'We are calling on law enforcement to reopen any Henry Lee Lucas confessions.'
    Police reopen 1978 murder case after evidence casts doubt on serial killer's confession | Daily Mail Online

7. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

8. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

9. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Nov 19 2019
    HUNTER: Families want serial killer Henry Lee Lucas’s murders reopened
    [​IMG]

Henry Lee Lucas claimed he murdered university student Marla Sharp in 1978. Her family never believed it.

One of the killings the Virginia-born Lucas boasted committing was that of Brigham Young University student Marla Sharp.

On June 29, 1978, Sharp, 26, was discovered raped and murdered inside her Provo, Utah apartment.

For more than five years, the case gathered dust.

Then, Lucas started talking in Texas.

And talking.

But there was something about the self-proclaimed serial killer’s tale Marla Sharp’s family never quite bought.

“I have never believed that Henry Lee Lucas committed the murder,” Sharp’s cousin, Valerie Colgain, told ABC News."

jaejae likes this.
  10. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

11. jaejae

jaejae Well-Known Member

True Crime does appear to be a little bit of a craze but perhaps it always was with Crippen etc. I can think of one Serial Killer that is likely to keep Netflix and others in business for a long time:

If it feels like Netflix and other services and networks are strip-mining the biggest true crime stories from the last fifty years, you’re likely on to something. From Ivan The Terrible to The Preppy Murder and beyond, viewers have been revisiting cases they may have hazy memories of from when they were kids. Now, the case of Henry Lee Lucas, who confessed to hundreds of murders that he didn’t actually commit — he was played by Michael Rooker in the 1990 film Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer — is revisited. Read on for more…

https://decider.com/2019/12/06/the-confession-killer-netflix-stream-it-or-skip-it/

12. kporter

kporter Member

To bring more attention to (and generate tips on) Marla Scharp's case, she's the subject of our first podcast episode, Cold Case Talk. We released it yesterday, so I'm not sure whether you can hear it yet except at Cold Case talk. It includes audio of previously unheard conversations with Lucas. The 2nd part (next Monday) includes info we found in 1980s records that forensically rules Lucas out of most cases. It wasn't in the Netflix docuseries (which is EXCELLENT); maybe because we were told the records we searched had never been requested before.