Her pit bull pets kill Middleburg woman

Always a good idea to get rid of an agressive dog. I was just reading a story about a couple that had an akita mix and it had nipped their children in the face twice. They wrote to this website asking what they could do so they wouldn't have to get rid of the dog :eek: because the dog was a big part of their family. Now how stupid is that?

Well, you can sentence the dog to live in a pen or yard with no human contact, but that doesn't sound very humane. Much better to give the dog away to someone who doesn't have small children and can care for it. We had to do that with one dog- a shepherd/lab/collie mix that used to go after our young son. The dog thought it was a game to nibble on son's ears.

Well, you can sentence the dog to live in a pen or yard with no human contact, but that doesn't sound very humane. Much better to give the dog away to someone who doesn't have small children and can care for it. We had to do that with one dog- a shepherd/lab/collie mix that used to go after our young son. The dog thought it was a game to nibble on son's ears.
whoops...don't like that game!
The way I see it, if a dog shows any aggression and is banished to a pen, it only takes one time for it to escape the pen or slip through a door to do the damage.

Beyond Belief - I just wanted you to know your post (as awful as the stats were) made me laugh today. Since it's only natural to pick your own state out of a list of states to look at the numbers for - I scanned "Florida" all those years you posted. Florida dog bites, Florida dog bites, Florida dog bites... then at the end you greet us and tell us to come to Florida! EEEEK!

:)

I guess you had to be in my brain, but it amused me!

JBean - I know you weren't talking about me when you said it was stupid for someone to ask what to do about a dog that bites... but you might as well have been. I have one, and I'm so incredibly torn. I know it's an easy descision when it's not your dog (I'd advise others to get rid of it, too) but when it's a dog that worships the ground you walk on, it's horribly painful to consider that killing her is the only option. I'm not denying it makes me stupid, by the way! It's just hard. Okay, here's my violin for myself. :boohoo: I'm calling myself stupid.

Anyone that can give me the strength to call my friend and have him take the dog to the pound while I am on vacation for a few days, please do. Maybe I'll PM someone my friend's number and they can ask him for me. Wah!

...I'm backing out already. No I'm not. Yes I am. No I'm... :confused:

Glitchwizard I am sorry your having to deal with that. I know how hard it is because I had to get rid of our dog before too. We had him for 3 years and he started just being ''funny'' towards me but nobody else so I just thought well I guess he don't like me..one day he bit my daughter in the leg and she tried to hide it from me because she knew the drill..My kids even my hubby were so mad at me for getting rid of the dog but I have a 'one bite your out' rule in my house! We now have a 4 year old German Shepherd who I love and adore and has never so much as barked at me or my kids so I am pretty sure she is a keeper but the rules still apply even to her. (believe me it will take time for you to understand this but you are doing the right thing)

Beyond Belief - I just wanted you to know your post (as awful as the stats were) made me laugh today. Since it's only natural to pick your own state out of a list of states to look at the numbers for - I scanned "Florida" all those years you posted. Florida dog bites, Florida dog bites, Florida dog bites... then at the end you greet us and tell us to come to Florida! EEEEK!

JBean - I know you weren't talking about me when you said it was stupid for someone to ask what to do about a dog that bites... but you might as well have been. I have one, and I'm so incredibly torn. I know it's an easy descision when it's not your dog (I'd advise others to get rid of it, too) but when it's a dog that worships the ground you walk on, it's horribly painful to consider that killing her is the only option. I'm not denying it makes me stupid, by the way! It's just hard. Okay, here's my violin for myself. :boohoo: I'm calling myself stupid.

Anyone that can give me the strength to call my friend and have him take the dog to the pound while I am on vacation for a few days, please do. Maybe I'll PM someone my friend's number and they can ask him for me. Wah!

Glitchwizard I am sorry your having to deal with that. I know how hard it is because I had to get rid of our dog before too. We had him for 3 years and he started just being ''funny'' towards me but nobody else so I just thought well I guess he don't like me..one day he bit my daughter in the leg and she tried to hide it from me because she knew the drill..My kids even my hubby were so mad at me for getting rid of the dog but I have a 'one bite your out' rule in my house! We now have a 4 year old German Shepherd who I love and adore and has never so much as barked at me or my kids so I am pretty sure she is a keeper but the rules still apply even to her. (believe me it will take time for you to understand this but you are doing the right thing)

Thank you. I make excuses for her, that's my problem. She's never bitten any family member and mostly is just aggressive to other animals... if I ignore that she bit a couple friends of mine (men) who came over without calling her first.

I'll probably have my friend take her this weekend, to the pound. I just hate to put that on the pound when they have so much else to deal with and she's my responsibility. I know... excuses.

Thank you. I make excuses for her, that's my problem. She's never bitten any family member and mostly is just aggressive to other animals... if I ignore that she bit a couple friends of mine (men) who came over without calling her first.

I'll probably have my friend take her this weekend, to the pound. I just hate to put that on the pound when they have so much else to deal with and she's my responsibility. I know... excuses.

Glitch, don't make the pound your first and last resort. Please check in your area for animal rescues before you sentence the dog to sure death. Some pit rescues will work with the dog to reverse the behavior and if it can't be done, chances are it will be sent to a sanctuary to live out it's life. Please consider other alternatives. The pit rescues will not place the dog with a family with children and other animals if it shows agressive behavior. They will test it to see if it's beyond redemption, let them decide! I know in my county a pit at the pound doesn't last more than a day or two and is always euthanized.

OH Glitch no way was I talking about you. I have been skimming this thread and if you made refernce to that, I missed it.
Jbean----->open mouth insert foot
Has your dog nipped your kids in the face? That is what the dog I was referring to did and I couldn't keep that dog for a minute longer.
Good luck with your dog dilemma. :blowkiss:

Glitch, don't make the pound your first and last resort. Please check in your area for animal rescues before you sentence the dog to sure death. Some pit rescues will work with the dog to reverse the behavior and if it can't be done, chances are it will be sent to a sanctuary to live out it's life. Please consider other alternatives. The pit rescues will not place the dog with a family with children and other animals if it shows agressive behavior. They will test it to see if it's beyond redemption, let them decide! I know in my county a pit at the pound doesn't last more than a day or two and is always euthanized.

I'll look for organizations here. She is trained as a "hog dog" and I've been hitting up all the hunters I know because she absolutely loves the hunt. I'm just afraid of finding some of the dog fighting people that permeate my area, pretending to be hog hunters. I do know she'd be put down at the pound - that's why it's been tough for me. It would not be a problem for me to hand her off to someone else who promised to contain her.

She's not beyond redemption and adores kids. It's just been a man on a motorcycle that came in my yard, an obnoxious guy that makes everyone nervous who came too near her puppy and a horse that eats her food that she's bitten.

I'll look for organizations here. She is trained as a "hog dog" and I've been hitting up all the hunters I know because she absolutely loves the hunt. I'm just afraid of finding some of the dog fighting people that permeate my area, pretending to be hog hunters. I do know she'd be put down at the pound - that's why it's been tough for me. It would not be a problem for me to hand her off to someone else who promised to contain her.

She's not beyond redemption and adores kids. It's just been a man on a motorcycle that came in my yard, an obnoxious guy that makes everyone nervous who came too near her puppy and a horse that eats her food that she's bitten.

The second link I posted has a place where the dog can be adopted to be a working dog. That sounds like it could be a match.

http://adopt-a-pit-bull.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

http://www.pitbullregistry.com/workingpitbulls.htm

http://pitbullrescue.jupiterdaily.com/

OH Glitch no way was I talking about you. I have been skimming this thread and if you made refernce to that, I missed it.
Jbean----->open mouth insert foot
Has your dog nipped your kids in the face? That is what the dog I was referring to did and I couldn't keep that dog for a minute longer.
Good luck with your dog dilemma. :blowkiss:

Not this thread - I posted the other day in another one - I assumed you hadn't seen it, and knew you weren't talking about me. Even if you had been, though, you'd have been correct. No, my dog never nipped my daughter in the face, however, she goes after the horse when we are near it, and we may end up getting horse kicked due to her being like she is. Damage isn't always intentional with a dog, I suppose! I think if she ever bit a child, my redneck friend John would shoot her before I could protest. (Not that I would hope he would take my protest seriously.)

<Authorities and family members are looking for answers about why a pair of pit bull terriers with no history of violence suddenly turned on their owner Tuesday, killing her and keeping others from being able to help her>

uuuuuhhhhhhh..... because,, THEY ARE PIT BULLS!!!..?? They just answered their own question.......LOL

Like it or not, the TRUTH of the matter is this:

1) Pit bulls have had violent tendencies BRED INTO THEM for generations. They have the physical characteristics they do because they were bred mostly for fighting,, to look as scary as possible and do as much damage as possible. Not ALL will be violent, obviously.. but they are prone to "suddenly snapping' without warning. Countless news stories and person and eyewitness accounts attest to this (that is, if the person is still alive to tell the tale!).

2) Yeah, duh,, we know that a lot of other dogs might have the potential to do this too. HOWEVER.. most dogs are NOT going to cause as much DAMAGE as pit bulls,, BECAUSE PIT BULLS ARE BRED TO PHYSICALLY BE ABLE TO CAUSE LOT MORE DAMAGE than most other dogs.

Just the other day a classmate told me about taking her little dog to the dogpark and a pit suddenly came up and attacked her dog, had its whole huge jaw around her dog's head, AND WOULD NOT LET GO. Even the monster's owner was screaming his dog and kicking it to let go. Finally someone came up behind the pit, grabbed its back legs, picked it up and slammed it into the ground. The girl thought her dog was dead, fortunately he survived & was fine. However during the original scuffle her boyfriend got bit, went to the emergency room, and it required stitches and rabies shots to the tune of about $1000. Needless to say they don't go back to that dog park anymore. Yeah,, such great dogs, they are!

:clap: :clap: :clap: Some applause for this great post reb, before the people who refuse to believe it start opining. We just had another pit attack here in the Minneapolis area last week and there was one a few weeks before that, too. Luckily the victim survived, this time - the other one resulted in the death of a 3-year old boy:mad: .

Eve

:clap: :clap: :clap: Some applause for this great post reb, before the people who refuse to believe it start opining. We just had another pit attack here in the Minneapolis area last week and there was one a few weeks before that, too. Luckily the victim survived, this time - the other one resulted in the death of a 3-year old boy:mad: .

Eve
HI Eve. Speaking for myself, it's not that I do not believe that Pits can do damage and kill, but many breeds can. If we lull ourselves into a state of complacency by believing that pits are the only problem, we are doing ourselves a great disservice.
I believe that any and all dogs can be a danger and we should treat as such. A properly socialized pit is a very brilliant a loyal pet. But pits, like any other breed, is not a safe animal if improperly raised and bred.
According to dogbitelaw.com, the rate of bites won't even decrease if pits are banned, BUT fatalities will and that is of course very important.
I have always kept my dogs, whatever breed, properly restrained and away from small children. This is even with no signs of aggression or biting. I will always be careful. because it is not only pits that turn. I have had an english bulldog that turned! I was attacked by a Great Dane.
My only point is that this is not just pit specific. We need to be this careful with every dog, every breed. I think a little pom killed a newborn for pete's sake! If people think they are ok just because they do not have a pit, they are sadly mistaken.

HI Eve. Speaking for myself, it's not that I do not believe that Pits can do damage and kill, but many breeds can. If we lull ourselves into a state of complacency by believing that pits are the only problem, we are doing ourselves a great disservice.
I believe that any and all dogs can be a danger and we should treat as such. A properly socialized pit is a very brilliant a loyal pet. But pits, like any other breed, is not a safe animal if improperly raised and bred.
According to dogbitelaw.com, the rate of bites won't even decrease if pits are banned, BUT fatalities will and that is of course very important.
I have always kept my dogs, whatever breed, properly restrained and away from small children. This is even with no signs of aggression or biting. I will always be careful. because it is not only pits that turn. I have had an english bulldog that turned! I was attacked by a Great Dane.
My only point is that this is not just pit specific. We need to be this careful with every dog, every breed. I think a little pom killed a newborn for pete's sake! If people think they are ok just because they do not have a pit, they are sadly mistaken.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I totally agree! My friend had a Pom that bite her 2 year old in the face and she had to get 15 stitches. Then a few years later the same child got bite in the shoulder by a black lab. Poor kid!

Again (and again and again),,, yes.. pits are not the 'only problem'. Of COURSE,, all dogs have the potential to bite and do some damage to some degree... dogs have been biting ever since they were wolves.

BUT PITS HAVE OBVIOUSLY,, NOW BECOME THE MAJORITY OF THE PROBLEM NOW... AND OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM. AND they are more prone to SNAPPING and PHYSICALLY ABLE TO CAUSE MUCH MORE DAMAGE-- AND TO KILL than most other dogs!!!!!

When's the last time you heard of a pack of pomeranians mauling someone to death as they walked down the street...???? Not something you hear about every week,, is it now?

Oh yeah, so a pom supposedly killed a newborn.. well, it doesn't take much to kill a newborn. And yeah, that was ONE incident.. where as pits are snapping, mauling, mutilating, and often KILLING-- people- INCLUDING GROWN ADULTS--- ALL THE TIME!!!
What we hear about in the news is just the worst of it....!!

It is not just pits. You all know how I feel about this subject. Talk to me about aggressive dogs once you have had a loved one almost killed by a pit or shepherd. I have lived through it twice with a child and my hubby.

Tell me to shut up now JBean before I go to far again. LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great example Reb I love it...

When's the last time you heard of a pack of pomeranians mauling someone to death as they walked down the street...???? Not something you hear about every week,, is it now?

It is not just pits. You all know how I feel about this subject. Talk to me about aggressive dogs once you have had a loved one almost killed by a pit or shepherd. I have lived through it twice with a child and my hubby.

Tell me to shut up now JBean before I go to far again. LOL
Bless your heart SassyT. You have sure been through your share. :blowkiss:

As an avid dog lover, I can honestly say I'd be afraid to own a pit bull. I know most are sweet dogs, but that doesn't alleviate my concerns. There are other breeds I wouldn't own for the same reason. I would promptly euthanize a dog with temperament problems because I don't want the financial liability in today's sue-happy society. I'll be darned if I want to work for my financial stability only to have someone take it all from me because of an unprovoked attack. I'm too greedy and materialistic to let that happen. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back