GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

Maui physical therapist Amanda Eller, 35, was last seen at 7:30 AM on May 8, 2019. Her vehicle was found at a forest trailhead near the town of Makawao the next day. Apparently she enjoyed running on that trail. So far, search parties and drones have not located her.

I live on Maui, but I am in West Maui, so I have not participated in any searching. Everyone's hope against hope is that she will be located and has not met with any foul play.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/10/search-for-missing-maui-woman-at-makawao-forest/

The search continues for a missing Maui woman; friends ask, 'how could this happen?'

[​IMG]

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
    Bugurl747 and julieonmaui like this.
  2. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

DancingMuse likes this.
  3. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Amanda Eller: Yoga instructor who went out for a hike in Maui is missing - CNN
    "A multi-agency search effort is underway in the search for Eller at Makawao Forest Reserve, and there is a $10,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts. Video posted to a Facebook page set up to find her shows a group of searchers, including dogs, at the site where her car was found.
    "Amanda's really well loved in the yoga community and there are people coming from all over the island coming in and hiking and trying to find her," said Haynes.
    On her personal website, Eller said she is a physical therapist who has made Maui her home.
    "Living on this island has also inspired extraordinary changes, including the completion my yoga teacher training," she wrote. "I have found yoga asana to be one of the most powerful injury prevention and rehabilitation practices, and I'm thrilled to now offer private sessions to my clients."
    She also wrote that when not treating patients or teaching yoga, she is "exploring the beautiful outdoors while scuba diving, stand up paddle boarding and hiking."

gitana1 and windrower like this.
  4. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

SeattleStew and gitana1 like this.
  5. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Please continue discussion of Amanda's case here.

Cardinal47 and Suglo like this.
  6. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Day 15: MPD Discloses Forensics Report on Amanda Eller’s Phone

May 23, 2019

MAKAWAO, Maui–Dr. Amanda Eller, a Maui physical therapist and yoga instructor, has been missing for 15 days as of today, Thursday, May 23, 2019.

John Eller, Amanda’s father, told Maui Now yesterday evening that the MPD got the forensics report back on Amanda’s phone.

“There was no GPS track,” he said. “She wasn’t running any apps or GPS. All of her privacy settings had been turned off, so there was nothing on the phone.”

He added that the MPD has gone to Honolulu to pick up a piece of equipment that can pull data from the infotainment unit in her car in order to extract its GPS track data.

An infotainment unit is an optional add-on collection of hardware and software installed in a vehicle that can include a navigation system (GPS), music and video players, USB and Bluetooth connectivity, and other capabilities.

The results are not in yet, as the MPD just went to O‘ahu yesterday to pick up the equipment according to Amanda’s father.

Initially, it was believed that the FBI was going to support police in getting the data from Amanda’s car. Family members say that when it turned out the agency was not able to do that, the MPD, on their own initiative, found the equipment and are in the process of extracting the information. Results are expected at any time.

John said the MPD and volunteers alike are faced with organizing and analyzing huge amounts of information from which they need to glean intelligence. So in a joint effort, a virtual data room has been set up in conjunction with the MPD, where all information and data relating to the search for Amanda—leads, tips, video, Facebook pages—will be cataloged, segmented, analyzed and correlated.

We’re working together… everyone wants to help, and that’s good progress,” said John. “The strength of the community effort here—beside the boots on the ground—we’ve got a lot of smart people who know technology on our volunteer team.”

John sees his role in the search as facilitation, coordinating and being a liaison. But he actually has built his own GPS technology tracking company, where his son, Chris, is in charge of product development for the company.

snip

Sarah Hayes and Kim Scott (Carly “Charli” Scott’s mother) have distributed fliers, and knocked on hundreds of doors, collecting leads on additional videos to download and share with the MPD.

Who else was at Makawao Forest Reserve around the time Amanda arrived? When did Amanda really get to the parking lot? Who else was there? Who left after? These are all questions that officials hope to answer by analyzing the video data. It’s a complex story to assemble from video footage.

Ben Konkol, Amanda’ boyfriend, told Maui Now last night that he is “blown away by the organization of the search efforts.”

He is impressed how everyone has come together in such an “organized, determined and loving way.”

It helps so much with the hope, he said. “This is a story of hope, survival and love triumphing over the scariness of it all.”

“This is probably the best team we could ever ask for,” he said, “It feels like family now… but of course we always need more volunteers.”

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/23/day-15-mpd-discloses-forensics-report-on-amanda-ellers-phone/

Attached Files:

7. Bugurl747

@Momof4RN I never got the self harm vibe but here is a quick brainstorm....

Regarding self harm...is she someone who always sends packages and cards on time or was the Mother's Day package sent her final good bye to her Mom so to speak? How awful and painful that would be. Does she have any licensed weapons to her name, guns? Her lifestyle and BF don't come across as the NRA type. What would she use? Nothing suspect found in the car. What about in the home? Any notable purchases like rope ,knives, razor blades, or prescriptions for an OD?

Any history of depression, she recently bought a new car, home, things seems good from afar, kinda living her dream. Did she go off into the trail and look for a cliff edge or water fall?

She had lived in Maui for sometime, we haven't heard from any other friends (other then BF and SH) or clients....how did she seem the week leading up to her disappearance?

Did she have any recent arguments, pending break-ups? She seems tenderhearted, genuine, engaged, involved, knowledge hungry for optimal practice, successfully independent.

I don't get a self harm vibe. I think LE is watching from afar quietly ;) MOO

windrower likes this.
  8. sillybilly

9. Bugurl747

I was revisiting photos and video surveillance details. Thought I would post what I was looking at,

@ 0.11 in the video, it shows AE at the Haʻikū Market at 10:11 am on Wednesday, May 8 -( before going to the post office) buying 2 boxes of items later described as boxes of dry tea and an energy bar and the darker items under those 2 boxes is the wallet and her black phone.

@ 0.19 she is standing in line and appears to be holding the wallet and phone, assuming the boxes are on the belt waiting to be scanned.

@0.55, there is a close up of her chest and then an image of the necklace she wears. Her BF wears a matching one.

In this video, it mentions LE searching the couples residence.

That 911 call on May 14, 2019. Staged or legit?

"Maui Police Lt. Gregg Okamoto said police and fire personnel responded with a helicopter and rescue crew to search by air and foot. In addition, the Police Department brought in additional search dogs from Oʻahu to assist. Rescue crews made it up almost two miles above the Kahakapao Trail before turning around due to the loss of daylight on Tuesday night, May 14, 2019."

The article below has a lot of details I appreciated re-reading.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/15/a-week-missing-new-video-shows-amanda-eller-at-haiku-market/

DancingMuse, otto and windrower like this.
  10. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree with you and never got that vibe either. My gut feeling has always been foul play. There has just been way too many things off/unusual/mysterious whatever you want to call it that everyone keeps trying to rationalize/dismiss/explain for me to believe she went on a run or hike and some kind of freak accident happened and now she can’t be found or picked up anywhere there. So I have always thought someone either hid her well there or took her and she’s not there. But now another yet unusual circumstance...nothing on her phone. It’s been said she had no phone numbers. We tried to say Mayb she meant just her families numbers. But now we are hearing she had nothing. No apps, everything turned off. Her business has a Facebook account so at the very least she used Facebook. It sounds more to me now, sadly, that she didn’t just unplug to go on a run or hike. Of course I hope i’m Wrong and there is yet another really good explanation. JMO prayers, strength, and light to her family.

11. human

human Well-Known Member

12. avid_dk

avid_dk Member

When you hike or run on a trail regularly you recognize and are recognized by others who are there often as well. Sometimes you become friends with other regulars and go on longer hikes or runs with them. I live in a heavily visited tourist town and one even begins to notice visitors that frequent the same trail(s) and realize when they have gone home. If Amanda frequented this trail, as we understand, it seems like another frequent user should have noticed her.

I wonder if the running social apps like Strava have a way of messaging everyone that was there that day. If they don't maybe they should develop those capabilities for just this kind of situation.

I know Maui has a citizen alert system. Was a message sent out to all users about Amanda being missing?
    I recently helped find a lost boy and his dog because of our local alert system. I received a text message that the boy was missing and minutes later the UPS guy showed up. I told him about the lost boy and his dog and he said, "Dude I know exactly where he is." I had him call 911 and they picked the boy up within minutes.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  13. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

The first word we had of this is Sarah said her keys were found under her front, driver side tire. That's pretty specific. Although I don't take things like this as always being 100% accurate, I think we can rest assured that it was found near the front driver side tire. Under, over, or beside, it makes no difference. I have read media sources that have claimed under the tire, over the tire, and inside the vehicle. That's just the way it goes. We do not know for absolute sure where, precisely, the key was found. No matter where it was found near the tire, it seems like a ridiculous place to hide one's key.

14. Bugurl747

bumped
    I agree and I am hoping that locals have looked at their video surveillance be it business, home, or vehicle that can help place her somewhere.

I'm not familiar with the area, but have been sleuthing the trail.
    Anything anyone can add or point out through these links may be insightful.

**Here are some photos and reviews of the Makawao Forest Reserve via Trip Advisor:

Makawao Forest Reserve - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

**Alltrails is my go to for hiking info. ( lot of photos) There is a post requesting hikers that may have been there to contact the tip line. In a review 3 months ago, they talk about the trails not being raked. There were a lot of downed trees and the trail was described as treacherous.

Best Trails in Makawao Forest Reserve - Maui, Hawaii | AllTrails

** It also looks like there are bike trails with bike rental options through Krank Cycles.
    The site describes the Makawao Forest Reserve Trail as east loop and west loop that uses a two-way traffic trail, it takes riders through eucalyptus and pine trees and over their roots.

There’s also a section of trail that passes through tropical plants where people enjoy visiting.

The East Loop tends to be wetter than the West Loop Trail and if it’s raining or has been raining can have slippery conditions.

Makawao Forest Reserve Trails & Bike Rental

MOO

Traymar, otto, gitana1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Bugurl747

On alltrails, there is a member that appears to have hiked the Kahakapao Loop Trail in the Makawao Forest Reserve 15 days ago, on May 8, 2019.

Again, not familiar with exact location, trail heads, or parking areas but wonder if this person saw anything?

I'm also not familiar with how the alltrails site works and wonder if the person was actually there on that date or only uploaded the stats?

I wonder if anyone has reached out and talked to said person nonetheless.

MOO

16. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

Ot but I have seen cases here on WS where people are simply overlooked in searches. One woman was not found for nearly six months, less than 100 yards from her home...another, several years ago, a suicide, not found for a year, on their own land. And many cases where a body has been found in previously searched areas. It happens...

allboys, Alice253, Traymar and 19 others like this.
  17. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

I know everyone is sick of the key thing, but we do know where it was because MPD answered that directly. Under tire. Also it was the car “key,” not a set of keys. No one has said if there were other keys, but one would think, unless those are with her, or she drives places without at minimum her house key.

DancingMuse, Toodles5000 and gitana1 like this.
  18. sillybilly

This post lands at random.

Reminder to not bring social media rumors to Websleuths.

Rumor posts get removed and members who post them may be subject to temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

19. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

No alert was sent to our phones

DancingMuse and human like this.
  20. Bugurl747

DBM

Last edited: May 24, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.