Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 On Time Out

He may have been brainstorming but from what the police have reported she didn't have anything in her car that would indicate beach, over night trip, etc . MOO

2. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Abduction without a trace is possible, however Amanda is 5'9" tall, much older than the usual target range of teens and early 20s, and probably carries herself with the self-confidence of a professional. I don't think she'd project an aura of vulnerability that predators are looking for.

Bugurl747, SeattleStew, human and 4 others like this.
  3. otto

otto Verified Expert

I thought it looked like she was holding three items with her phone between her second and third fingers, and the tea on top.

human, Mistree, Hazelnutty and 4 others like this.
  4. otto

otto Verified Expert

Hannah Graham was over 6 feet tall and a top athlete, and she didn't stand a chance when she was abducted and murdered.

5. Not a Belle

Not a Belle Well-Known Member

I don’t know if most people have numbers on speed dial, but I don’t. The contact information of people I call most often is not saved in my phone; I dial them by memory, so for me saved numbers are numbers I don’t use enough to remember. I also use very few apps, and I keep them turned off unless I need them specifically. I don’t use any location-tracking apps. I don’t even use read receipts on messages as it feels intrusive to me. Because of those things it doesn’t strike me as odd that Amanda seemed to keep a pretty low profile in terms of her phone.

6. otto

otto Verified Expert

7. Jethro4WS

Jethro4WS Well-Known Member

It is possible. But, cell tower records should reveal information about the whereabouts of her phone - if law enforcement actually went out and issued warrants/subpoenas for that information. Hopefully they did, but in my brief look around on this case I haven't seen anything saying that they did so (perhaps I missed it).

CoolJ, windrower, SeattleStew and 7 others like this.
  8. Steffannieg

Steffannieg Active Member

Is Statement Analysis/Scientific Content Analysis (SCAN), ala Peter Hyatt, a known and valued tool here?

9. otto

otto Verified Expert

Thank you. That would mean that although her phone has been found, the only information that is known about it's location is based on phone apps that were inactive due to privacy settings. I hope that cell phone triangulation helps, and that the towers are not so far apart that it appears that she was always within one cell phone triangulation area.

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

Is that in relation to statements made by the family and friends?

gitana1 and DancingMuse like this.
  11. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

I think she tries her best but is inexperienced with the press and doesn't understand why people don't interpret what she says exactly as how she means it. She also makes some pretty common mistakes by fudging facts and talking about stuff she doesn't fully know or understand.

She said the phone last "pinged" at the house but didn't give a time. Then she "cleared things up" by saying it last pinged when Amanda was on camera, which was at the store.

She did a great job getting the ball rolling and should be highly commended for that, but I wish someone else tries to do the factual updates.

12. otto

otto Verified Expert

Does it matter when the phone was located or pinged at her home? It doesn't help to know when she left or where she went next and last.

Bugurl747, iluvmua and DancingMuse like this.
  13. otto

otto Verified Expert

Do we have a cell phone tower map of Maui? That would answer the question of whether the same 3 towers cover home, shopping and trail.

If all three locations are within one cell phone triangulation area, then it means that she could have had her phone turned on the entire time, but she did not leave that cell tower range.

14. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

I haven’t had a chance to read the 70 plus pages of posts. From what I read, I have noticed a lot of suspicion about the keys and the BF. I have lived in the area of the forest for over 20 years. It’s entirely possible to slip from the trail and never be found. This is dense dense rain forest. Huge canopies of trees. There are ferns and thick vegetation lining gulches which give a misleading edge to the cliffs. It would be entirely possible to misjudge the edge of a cliff. It’s not an area someone would go swimming. There are many nearby areas with waterfalls and streams if swimming was the intent. Many of my friends have said the same thing — it is very odd to wear a white tank top into the rainforest. The red volcanic dirt permanently stains clothing and it never washes out. The tree canopy is so thick here that the trail is not as muddy as other areas in the Mahi rainforest. So it is possible not to get muddy, but unlikely. Especially while running. It is also not as rainy as Haiku rainforest —next to it. Lots of people come here. This area has a very sophisticated mountain bike/BMX course. Many people come to the forest to hike, and bike. It’s also one of the few places where horses are allowed. It is not weird that she would jog there alone. It would be high risk to grab her on the trail and bring her back to the parking lot. They would likely be spotted. It’s also not weird that she put her key outside her vehicle. That’s typical in Hawaii — especially behind the tire balanced on the frame of the car. Cell coverage is very spotty here. Not weird she didn’t take a phone. Also not weird that she doesn’t have GPS tracking on her apps and that the location services was disabled. That is common in Hawaii.
    MPD would have done a thorough investigation of the BF before announcing he is not a suspect. Especially with the Charli murder in our recent Maui history.
    I will post pics of the post office/Haiku store and the Makawao Forest. There is another hiker missing on the other side of Maui — Noah Mina.

15. Steffannieg

Steffannieg Active Member

Well, potentially. I have observations regarding some statements, but don’t want to break rules. There’s no interpretation, accustations, or theorizing involved. But if people here are not familiar with the process it would be more difficult to discuss!

16. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

T
    There is a tower right by Haiku store

SeattleStew, human, Mistree and 4 others like this.
  17. otto

otto Verified Expert

Thank you! Knowing the culture helps to understand the habits.

Please do post photos of the errands and the entrance to each of the parking lots. I'd like to get a sense of why she parked in the lower lot and the distance to the upper lot. Is it possible to go there when the lots are not full of searchers? I'm also curious about the exact location of the hunting trail, and how far that entrance is from the lower parking lot.

It's interesting to see how lost men and women are handled differently.

18. otto

otto Verified Expert

Where are the nearest two towers?

Mistree and DancingMuse like this.
  19. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

But why did he wait so long to report her missing? Did he call around that nightehen se didn't show up for their planned dinner? That's odd.

20. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

She was drunk though.

But I do think a larger man could incapacitate Amanda. Muscle mass is different between the sexes. And then there's always weapons. A woman alone on a trail without even her cell phone is an easy target for a determined predator.

CoolJ, GarAndTeed, Sunny123 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.