Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

Not to be grim, but they likely would not risk burying her. Too many people.

human and DancingMuse like this.
  2. otto

otto Verified Expert

It doesn't matter. She was alive and well in the morning, she wasn't home when he returned, he went to bed, he woke up and she wasn't there, so he called for help.

3. FindingJonRiley

To give you an idea of how thick the rainforest are, a group of 6 of my very athletic male friends went mountain biking in a nearby forest to the Makawao Reserve and became lost. They were at about 3,000 foot elevation. They decided to bike toward the sea. The forest became too thick to bike so they ditched bikes and hiked. It didn’t take long before they were nearly trapped. They pressed on toward the sea for 2 days and eventually found a clearing. They were airlifted by helicopter. It was the only way out of the area they found themselves in.

4. otto

otto Verified Expert

If she was abducted, she would have been killed within 3 hours - don't have the stats on hand but will post them if it is proven that there was an abduction.

There are a few things that stand out as questionable. Her mother said she hiked with water, the first 3-4 dogs could not follow a scent on the trail, and her necessary things (backpack, water, phone) were sitting at the front seat, exposed and open in a place where everyone knows the keys are under, or on, the tire.

windrower, human, Mistree and 5 others like this.
  5. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Regarding the tracking dogs. I recommend using caution on what they did or did not track and to what point. Why? Because it did not come from the handler. Only they can speak about their dogs specific training and capabilities and what happened in that specific search. There is so much to consider when working a dog, the environment being on the top of the list.

Handlers can get pretty crabby when someone attempts to interrupt what their dog did and speak to it.

6. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

She could have pulled into the parking lot at the forest, saw someone she knew, left her things in her vehicle, locked it and went and sat in their vehicle with them.

7. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

Do a lot of homeless ppl hang out at this hiking spot?

I ask because Meredith Emerson was trained in martial arts and was in good shape when she befriended Gary Hilton who abducted and later killed her while hiking Blood Mountain.

DancingMuse, human and Hazelnutty like this.
  8. Nerissa

Nerissa Well-Known Member

I didn't get impression from BF that they had a 'planned' dinner, or to go out: just he was looking forward to hanging out with her, having dinner. She has her own business: quite possible she is usually very busy: maybe just hanging at home & having dinner is something special to look forward to.
    I wonder what the context of their relationships is: it seems very laid back: like he didn't want to bother her much if she was with friends or what have you...I also wonder if there was any precedent in the past where she was just out & about, with friends: maybe misplaced phone or the battery died - so he clung onto those precedents as reason to not worry.
    He said something to the effect that he kept thinking/hoping that at some point in the night she'd show up & everything would be fine
    I think he really didn't want to go there with his worries: however, first thing in morning he did call the police....
    If she were abducted: it would have been right before she headed out, or when she got back: however, IMO I don't think she was abducted at all....
    BF was at work, was on the scene immediately in morning, getting involved, passed a lie detector & has been cleared by LE. Good 'nuff for me! (well, for now, lol)

9. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Gosh, I don’t know! I’m all over the place. There’s so much weirdness with her disappearance, but it seems like it could be coincidental OR it could mean everything. I really don’t know. First I thought foul play not by a stranger. Then I leaned toward accident. But now I can see self harm or foul play by stranger. I still am leaning toward accident as most likely, but nothing would surprise me. What do you think?

10. Nerissa

Nerissa Well-Known Member

FindingJonRiley - thanks for your local perspective & stories
    I lived east side Hawaii island: the rainforest is VERY different than other forests.....I've also experienced/lived in Alaskan rainforests.....plus extensive experience in the Rocky Mountains: give me the Rockies any day versus those rainforests: even with the predators of mountain lions, bears, rattlesnakes, etc: the rainforest is an unforgiving place & very easy to get turned around in

11. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

Burying her under foliage. There is so much there, it would be the easiest thing to do unfortunately.

12. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

No clue!

13. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

This. If you just lie down in the ferns there you disappear.

14. gitana1

I've never heard of it!

DancingMuse and Sunny123 like this.
  15. gitana1

Who is she?

DancingMuse likes this.
  16. unionrigger1038

unionrigger1038 Member

Also you can facetime with an email address and no number iphone to iphone correct? So maybe they communicate that way. My phone has my wife stored as wifey and if you type my last name her email nor phone numbers don't show up because her entire life is tied to her originsl last name. So like others have said pry has rm stored under parents or whatever

CoolJ, DancingMuse, happyday and 2 others like this.
  17. Traymar

Traymar Well-Known Member

I would ask a mod. I seem to recall in other threads we were not allowed to link to statement analysis blogs/videos. Not sure if it's even okay to discuss.

So - my advice is flag your post (I can't seem to do it on my tablet) or PM a mod. Better than posting and getting it deleted and/or getting the thread clogged up with responses, etc. for the mods to have to clean up. Just my two cents.

All MOO.

DancingMuse, Steffannieg and Suglo like this.
  18. FindingJonRiley

I have water with me and in the car. Backpack to run errands. She is a runner more than a hiker. Unlikely to carry a backpack.

19. FindingJonRiley

No.

20. FindingJonRiley

Not to be grim but more likely over the edge and into a gulch. In hopes of never being found.

DancingMuse, otto and unionrigger1038 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.