Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Thank you so much for all this info and your opinions on life in HI as it related to this case. Valuable stuff.

What I don't get is how someone could easily slip off the trail. I mean maybe a tourist who purposefully goes off the trail to look at something. Or someone who is not a runner/hiker/jogger. I feel like if she tripped and rolled she probably would not go far.

CoolJ, DancingMuse, happyday and 7 others like this.

2. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

It is worth noting that most people do not have cell coverage above Makawao Av/kaupakalua Rd. Most people also don’t have coverage through Maliko and Haiku gulches. Reception is spotty up all roads to Makawao from the post office.

3. Nerissa

Nerissa Well-Known Member

If I am hiking or biking & wish some quiet time - I will go off the trail or forest service road....find a secluded, peaceful spot, to just be, have whatever snack I've brought - it's said she meditated, you're not doing that in nature right on a well-trod trail - she may have done just that: & found herself falling into a gulch, or simply falling in a manner that was fatal.....

4. unionrigger1038

unionrigger1038 Member

That is a long time between may 8 and may 15. Tracking dogs are most effective in the immediate aftermath math when the skin cells of a human are fresh. After that they bring in air smelling dogs which can smell human skin cells in the air. Their effectiveness unfortunately is reduced when the wind is blowing to sea essentially blowing the cells away from the search area. Couple that with the humidity and weather of a tropical island and you have yourself a hell of a job for these dogs complete. Obviously there are other types of dogs but its not a foregone conclusion she was abducted because dogs lost her scent when it took a week damn near to involve them in the search. Was there ever follow up on the other vehicles? That would seem to be much more suspicious these people havent came forward now 15 going on the sixteenth day she has been missing. There has been zero follow up on that which is the first thing id have done as the family. I would scour that island until i found that truck. Lastly, are there people who grow massive amounts of weed in this forest? Similar to the emerald triangle? I mean 3 people missing in one week with another deceased is insane! Obviously something is going on in that part of the island!

5. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

Thank you soooo much for posting this. I have been wondering just what the trail would be like. I'm amazed.
    If you wanted to twist your ankle, break a leg or fall off a mountain this would surely be the place for you to do that.
    Wow..just wow!

6. gitana1

So in Maui if a person is missing more than 72 hours LE just stops searching?

7. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

I think they were questioning if she could have gone to one of the waterfalls in that area and slipped getting down to it.
    I believe it was stated she liked to swim in the waterfalls.

8. gitana1

Oh I think it matters quite a bit. Not reporting her missing earlier widens the timeline so much and could have led to her dying if she broke a leg or rolled off the trail some where and it took so long to start searching.

It also says something about who these people are, their habits, possible mind set when she left. Was there a fight or have they cooled off from one another? Was she upset? Is it typical of these two that they change plans and don't tell each other? Or spend the night elsewhere without contact? Is someone else possibly involved in the disappearance that might have been someone she hangs out with?

I think it is very odd that he would not sound the alarm earlier if they had dinner plans she was excited about. It could have made a difference in this case as every moment counts.

But I don't know if he didn't sound the alarm. Perhaps he was calling and texting her and others to try to find her and gave up for the night.

CoolJ, windrower, DancingMuse and 8 others like this.
  9. gitana1

Did they go off the trail? And if so, was that an accident?

DancingMuse and human like this.
  10. Mistree

This picture is horrible but it’s the best google would let me view.

Attached Files:

DancingMuse, gitana1 and human like this.
  11. human

human Well-Known Member

Well, that was boring. The trail is quite beaten down. Seems like it would be hard to get lost on it.

12. human

human Well-Known Member

Lol. I got the exact opposite impression.

DancingMuse, Bugurl747 and Mistree like this.
  13. Mistree

This one shows all the coverage areas with different providers in Maui.

Attached Files:

DancingMuse and human like this.
  14. Mistree

I’m curious if the 2 mile radius they mentioned the other day ( with the yellow circle in the map)
    If it encompasses the 6 mile loop? Doesn’t seem likely......

DancingMuse, gitana1 and human like this.
  15. unionrigger1038

unionrigger1038 Member

In one of the first article or pages of this thread it was said he called her several times that evening. He thought maybe age linked up with friends or whatever and thought shed maybe come home late. Whats interesting is in rhe samantha sayers case in Washington state, her bf was expecting her back at 6 when she didnt arrive or answer the phone he booked it to the mountain bought a flashlight on the way and ran up that mtn until he fell flashlight broke came down and called the sheriff. (Stay away from trecherous highway 2 in snohomish county most likely some serial killers roaming around google it). Anyway, everyone attacks this guys cause he immediately took action. This guy gives her a chance to come home and he gets shredded for waiting to long. People are savagely accusing him of things based not on fact but innuendo and what they think they would do in a situation that most have never been in. The truth is your damned if ya do damned if ya dont. Yes he passed a polygraph but the first thing he did was turn over his phone to the authorities. They would know if he wiped her phone from his all communications with potential third parties etc. he isnt trying to hide anything. Meanwhile, the speculation takes peoples eyes off the prize so to speak. Facts logic and reason is what is going to find this girl dead or alive

16. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Award just went up. So r they thinking foul play now? DId they get car GPS results back and on to something?

Findamanda

17. Cardinal47

Yes everybody will think of things that should have been done. Instead of the boyfriend I keep thinking why Amanda didn't make anybody aware she was going into the forest or what her plans were for the day. Where would one know to look if nobody had any idea what her plans were.
    It's six of one and half dozen of the other.
    We can look back and say tick tock those hours she was missing were so very important and perhaps life threatening. But I remember Ben the boyfriend said they liked giving each other space.
    With all of that said I still think it was on Amanda to let somebody know if she was going into a forest alone. I just do.
    So maybe she didn't go there at all. After the post office and store nobody really knows what happened to her.

I'm kind of curious. Do those of you that jog and hike in woods and forests let somebody know before each run, walk? Is that a common thing to do?

18. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

I guess since they haven’t found her they are covering all possibilities and now saying possible abduction and reward $50,000.
    Jeez I hope she’s found soon.

19. Cardinal47

My guess would be that as time goes by and more information is received they will try anything to find out what happened to her.

DancingMuse, happyday, human and 2 others like this.
  20. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

Entirely an accident. They thought they were on the trail but it became increasingly dense. It’s not like you can climb up and get an overview of where you are. One of their GF’s called a search helicopter on day 2. It was supposed to be a couple hour bike ride.

You’re surrounded by green. Haleakala is a 10,023 foot dormant volcano. Its gulches are massive. If you got lost, you would likely head for the sea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.