Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 On Time Out

As 'missingm' noted, GPS determines your position via satellites, so no cell coverage is needed. However, in order to tell *others* where you are, you need coverage. The location services, like 'findmyiphone,' need cell coverage to work. She had it turned off anyway, though.

I have no doubt a cell phone would have been immensely valuable in this situation. But I want to hear just how she went from going for a 3-mile jog to becoming hopelessly lost or stuck. Does she like to jog off-trail through dense forest? This makes no sense.

njbchgal, LadyL, DancingMuse and 7 others like this.
  2. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I didn’t know that ppl get lost all the time. How often do ppl get lost there? When was the last lost ppl lost and found? Seems they should close that forest down to the public.

DancingMuse and human like this.
  3. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

FULL INTERVIEW: The heroes who found Amanda Eller
    KHON2 News
    Published on May 24, 2019
    Search team captain Chris Berquist was one of the men who found Amanda Eller.

misgrn, gitana1, Gardener1850 and 8 others like this.
  4. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

Sure wish the headline for WS said found alive. The main heading for entire WS forum.
    We need that.

La Louve, jsiar, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  5. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

I believe she was the 2nd one in a few days. There are some that you probably never hear of.

I do hope you were being facetious about closing the forest. :p

stygianowl, j_in_c, misgrn and 2 others like this.
  6. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

Sounds like a sign should be installed at the entrances.

IF YOU GET LOST THE SEARCH FOR YOU WILL ONLY LAST 72 HOURS. GOOD LUCK

njbchgal, jash, jsiar and 17 others like this.
  7. Maljako

Maljako Active Member

Love it! Sounds like a few drinks have been had at the trailhead :D If only every search could end with this kind of happiness.

borndem, Alice253, LadyL and 9 others like this.
  8. otto

otto Verified Expert

Searching Twin Falls, this is what I find

upload_2019-5-25_10-28-35.png

upload_2019-5-25_10-29-6.png

9. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Thank goodness they were able to buy time with a helicopter.

Lost hikers can often hear a helicopter going overhead, but they may be hidden in the forest. I bet she tried to get somewhere that she could be seen by a helicopter. Also where she had water, so a great place to wait.

I live near Vancouver, where people get lost in the outskirts so often, there are several official SAR volunteer organizations. The big advantage is, they own their own helicopters and that's their primary tool. City police don't run searches in the backcountry at all.

crhedBngr, jash, KiKiD72 and 11 others like this.
  10. Rhenish

Rhenish Well-Known Member

I am so Happy and Thankful to read Amanda has been found alive. Praise God. I love Happy Endings.

Alice253, KiKiD72, misgrn and 6 others like this.
  11. scarletstar

scarletstar Well-Known Member

Such good news!!

12. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

Agreed! I’m sure he’ll be fine. Heck, I think he needs to start a side business to search for the missing. Incredible work. So thrilled for Amanda, Ben & her family & friends.

13. HaikuMommy

HaikuMommy Active Member

YAAAAAYYYY!

14. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

My local FL news:
    Hawaii woman with ties to Tampa Bay is rescued from Maui forest after 2-week search

May 25, 2019
    WAILUKU, Hawaii — A Hawaii woman with ties to St. Petersburg has been found alive in a forest on Maui island after going missing more than two weeks ago.
    [...]
    Eller worked as a physical therapist at Bayfront Health in St. Petersburg, where her LinkedIn profile said she started in June 2014.
    [...]
    A video Haynes took at the hospital shows Cantellops and Helmers with Eller's father, discussing the call where he learned they found his daughter.

“That was unexpected,” John Eller said. “I was bawling like a baby.”
    [...]

Alice253, abr, jash and 10 others like this.
  15. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Apparently people get lost in Hawaiian forests and wilderness areas enough so that it's a warning to tourists. But it doesn't justify closing wilderness areas.

Life is a risk. We learn from each other but life will always be a risk.

In other news (not sure if anyone has posted this yet), Sarah, the lady coordinating the liaisons with the media and the FB page is interviewed here and had a lot of interesting things to say.

1. Seems they decided to sweep a larger area than they were searching, real quick before the ended for the day. That's when they spotted her. (I'm noticing going farther out than thought possible is when they often find people. Like the little man from Kentucky recently).

2. People really came together for this in an incredible way and as they were searching and having dinner at night they discussed creating a template for people in future searches. (I think they realized how well coordinated it was even before she was found).

3. Both John Walsh and Marc Klaas provided assistance.

4. Her own brother went missing in 1981 and was never found. This was a mission for her.

5. Amanda survived off waterfall water and plants.

6. Both she and the boyfriend got a lot of flack from suspicious people. But the boyfriend felt her alive and knew to not give up. He was in the hospital room with her "feeling" her. Sarah motioned to her heart as if he was communing with her through his heart.

7. One of the guys who found her in the helicopter had lost his job because he wouldn't stop searching. He was a lead coordinator in the search efforts.

There's a lot more at the link including an interview with her father and Sarah sort of jointly. It's all amazing.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/24/amanda-eller-possibly-found-in-forest-alive/

esayer, Alice253, abr and 18 others like this.
  16. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

She of course can only tell her story but I think it was probably something as simple as running/hiking, going this way instead of that way, time passes, oh my gosh where am I? You look around and everything looks the same. You are officially lost.

esayer, Alice253, abr and 15 others like this.
  17. gitana1

I was super shocked how littlethe aurhorities did in the search and how much it was volunteers.

Someone local posted how the police don't find anyone in Hawaii. People were confused about what that meant.

It seems it's really is up to volunteers or it probably isn't going to happen.

Sunny123, Alice253, abr and 13 others like this.
  18. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

HELL YASSSSS!!!! I just peeped in and saw the WONDERFUL news! I’m so emotional and thankful.

HelpingHeart, jash, misgrn and 7 others like this.
  19. gitana1

Went to bed happy as can be! And I woke up the same.

It's so gratifying!

20. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the info on GPS. It makes sense that an actual GPS device is going to be better in that type of situation than a phone. Maybe someone needs to give her a Garmin watch for a present! I have one and love it. Maybe that’s still not as good as another GPS unit, but better than nothing!
    I’m kind of surprised by hearing how many people turn off location services etc. on their phones. I’m the opposite—I have all my apps on “always,” have Life 360, google, enable gps on my Garmin watch every time I run or hike. Anything and everything possible! Lol. Everyone is different...
    My teen daughters were skeptical about 360 at first, but now they LOVE it. They keep up with us more than we do them. Haha.

Alice253, misgrn, gitana1 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.