Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Well-Known Member

Yes, it really is gratifying to see this. A happy ending, feel-good experience.

2. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I just saw that this morning! I didn't follow this case much until a couple days ago. So I had no idea about the heavy suspicion on her. Strange. Lots of people become dedicated to a cause like that. Now we see why it was personal for her.

I get the suspicion about the poor boyfriend. I would've suspected him if I hadn't seen he was cleared simply because he was the last to see her according to his statement. (Which was incorrect).

When I dropped in once earlier on I saw people were concerned about his affect. But when someone asked if anyone innocent acts like? Elizabeth Smart's dad was my example. People jumped on him for being too calm and emotionless.

But Sarah? Poor gal.

I'm glad all these people were able to stay focused and keep the faith! Very positive and strong and intelligent and kind people.

They definitely should develop a guide for how to search, including how to manage emotions and respond to criticism.

Of course clearly Maui is a special place. And has a lot of physically adept people who can handle a search of this nature. That may not be recreated everywhere.

I can't tell you how impressed I was by the search map. Seeing all those blue threaded lines indicating where they had searched, basically turned into a massive block of solid blue.

It moved me.

Something about seeing all those fine blue lines turning into a solid blue mass.

It's kind of like a picture of the heart of Maui.

Find Amanda

(Click the X. The app is Dioptra? Searches can download it so they're tracked where they go and a record of areas that have been searched can be assembled).

Sunny123, misgrn, LadyL and 12 others like this.
  3. gitana1

I'm sure they will!

Sunny123 and DancingMuse like this.
  4. gitana1

I would've lasted 24 hours. That's it.

Sunny123, abr, zecats and 5 others like this.
  5. gitana1

I don't think she will need that advice. She's the one who endured this.

esayer, Vail, Sunny123 and 6 others like this.
  6. gitana1

It's an app called Dioptra. Searchers install it on their phones. VERY cool!

I think this is an example:
    Dioptra Thrace Pro

Sunny123, misgrn, Traymar and 2 others like this.
  7. gitana1

Yeah. I hike an hour in (and everywhere I hike is surrounded by suburbia), and no cell service. Nothing. It's automatic airplane mode.

Sunny123, sassyblue, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  8. gitana1

People are human. We all make mistakes and sometimes accidents just happen to the best of us.

We don't know the exact circumstances here but I'm so glad the beautiful people of Maui had such compassion and resolve.

No one of us is perfect and no one of us can ever perfectly anticipate what bad things could happen to us.

It is humanly easy to let your guard down in a place you're familiar with. We all do it in some way or another.

esayer, Sunny123, sassyblue and 8 others like this.
  9. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LIVELIKELIZZY

Yoga instructor, 35, is found alive after going missing for two weeks while hiking in Hawaii forest | Daily Mail Online

• Amanda Eller, 35, was reported missing on May 8 after going hiking in Maui
    • Hawaii authorities found Eller in a stream bed on Friday around 5pm local time
    • 'As soon as we made eye contact, we knew. Even from 200 feet,' rescuers said
    • Officials said the woman was not injured but she does have a 'little bit of sunburn'
    • Family friend, Sarah Haynes, said Eller survived 17 days off of water and plants
    • Her dad, John Eller, said his daughter had been 'prepared for this her whole life'
    • She had gone hiking without her phone, something typical for Eller, Haynes said
    • She was last seen by boyfriend, Benjamin Konkol, who insisted she was still alive
    By VALERIE EDWARDS and LAUREN FRUEN FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 01:13 EDT, 25 May 2019 | UPDATED: 13:55 EDT, 25 May 2019

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

If you look at the visitor posts on the find Amanda page there are a couple of photos that I don't think have been published before. At least I hadn't seen them yet.

11. bradfordsleuth

bradfordsleuth Well-Known Member

Great post!
    Thank you

misgrn, katydid23, gitana1 and 2 others like this.
  12. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

A really good read.

Lost Person Behavior: A Search and Rescue Guide on where to Look for Land, Air, and Water

13. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

There is a team coming to Lāna’i to test high altitude drones for cell service. I don’t think GPS tracking can work if there is no service. All carriers claim to cover the islands but in reality there are HUGE dead zones. It’s 2019 ... Hard to believe they can’t remedy the problem.

I’m also amazed at the volume of people on social media who think this was a publicity stunt. Amanda went across the mountain instead of down. Instinct tells us to follow the water. Her athleticism took her so far out of the search zone. It doesn’t take much to get boxed in. Maui’s rainforests are so incredibly dense. You can’t climb up to see where you are in relation to the sea.

I hope the shift to find Noah Mina in West Maui brings him home. It’s a much more treacherous search area.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    KatzEye, KiKiD72, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  14. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

The whole island is on a high right now.

I think Maui really needed this. The Charli Scott case a few years ago, and all the grisly details that came out, it was so dark and painful for the whole island.
    But finding out that in this case the missing person wasn't murdered, that Amanda lived and was nourished in the jungle by fruit and waterfall water.....that she was smiling......that persistence and positivity are not in vain.....and that happy endings DO happen...I think it's just what Maui needed.

(On a sidenote, when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, people would always drill into your head that when you are lost, you should "hug a tree," meaning stay exactly where you are so that people can find you, because the more you wander, the further you get from where you started.
    I think we should start drilling this into people's heads again. Hug a tree, lost people!)

I really hope that Noah is found, but I think that's a very different situation. The family has implied that he is going through something and don't want people searching for him. I hope he comes through this.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    sassyblue, crhedBngr, misgrn and 7 others like this.
  15. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

East Maui? I thought he went missing near Iao Valley? That's not East Maui...

DancingMuse and FindingJonRiley like this.
  16. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

17. Bugurl747

18. Mind your biscuits

Mind your biscuits Well-Known Member

Our family has life 360 and we like it too. It's also free. :)

19. Bugurl747

Attached Files:

jash, crhedBngr, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  20. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I think it’s unfair to bash a company
    We know nothing about. Some businesses are small and can’t get business done with even one employee out for an extended time, and can’t find a replacement employee that will just come on temporarily, and so have to let their employee go. We don’t know all the circumstances... For instance the company could have given severence pay, could have promised to rehire at a future date, etc.

sassyblue, Ragnarok, La Louve and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.