Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I would bet $1000 she had no coverage in that area. I’m very familiar with Maui, the only cell phone carrier that has any good service at all is Verizon, and there is a two hour stretch between haiku and Hana where there is absolutely no service, except for a five minute window in the town of Keanae, and that five minute window only works with the Verizon service . Where she was found was extremely remote, far up from the main road and past haiku.

As for an actual GPS device, different story because it would be satellite and would have tracked her services for at least a while and perhaps enabled her to be found within a day or two.

Classic case of coulda, woulda, shoulda, but the main thing is she was found

2. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

Yes WEST Maui. My typo. Kapilau Ridge Trail/st Anthony’s Cross. Separates Iao Valley and Waikapu.

3. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

cass523, KatzEye, scriabina and 8 others like this.
  4. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

I was wondering the same thing. Stay put? Or hike out.?It would be hard to stay put bc instinct would tell you to follow water to the sea.

5. Bugurl747

Live video footage of Amanda's rescue!

6. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

There are responses to hikers trapped, snorkelers and kayakers in trouble, etc often. It’s a shame they can only look for 72 hours, but I don’t think it’s because they’re evil or don’t care. Resources & manpower are not endless unfortunately.

Close the forest? When we say forest on Maui, most of the time it means rain forest a.k.a. jungle. I’m not sure of the statistics, but I’d be guessing this island is a good 2/3 jungle. It’s one of the things people love about it.

I don’t have a link, but one of the interviewers said she went off the trail to meditate for a bit and then could not find her way back up to it. At some point she became injured, and a week or so ago lost her shoes, I’m guessing maybe because she was crossing a stream and took them off and was holding them?

Most people that stay on the trails don’t run into any trouble, except for when they cross streams when it’s raining and that kind of thing which puts them in a position to then be stranded. This kind of case is a hard lesson on what not to do, and luckily though had a happy ending .

crhedBngr, LeeAnnB, jash and 14 others like this.
  7. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I guess there was cell service where she was found because there is a photo of her talking on the phone in that location.

cass523, HulaMum, MerBeach and 7 others like this.
  8. drama_farmer

drama_farmer "It's never just a mannequin"

dbm. . . old news, lol!

9. Bugurl747

FULL INTERVIEW: The heroes who found Amanda Eller

10. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

There is? Please put a link

happyday and DancingMuse like this.
  11. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

The video up thread shows her on phone.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  12. tigerteeth

tigerteeth Well-Known Member

Maybe some sort of satellite phone

13. Bugurl747

Here is another video showing her talking on some type of phone at rescue
    @ 01:10

Each video shows new photos that I haven't seen before, so cool!!

Searching for Amanda Eller

14. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

So I’m thinking out loud but having a little bit of questions about this.

I don’t doubt that she was lost, but had she gone west, which even without a GPS you would follow the sun, she would’ve hit some roads pretty quickly, Olinda road and that whole neighborhood. North would have brought her “down” the mountain towards Hana Highway. The direction she ended up going was the absolute worst, just jungle and jungle and jungle for miles .

15. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Oh that makes sense, I know that the Hana police have their satellite phones, without which they would be totally out of communication. As I previously mentioned in a post, there is very little cell phone service in that whole area of the island

MsFacetious, LadyL, misgrn and 2 others like this.
  16. Bugurl747

Woman found alive after two weeks in Hawaii forest ate moths to survive
    • Friend says Amanda Eller, 35, slept in boar’s den during ordeal
    • Father: ‘When I got the call at first I thought they were joking’
    Amanda Eller survived in dense forest, a friend said, by sleeping in a boar’s den, covered in ferns, and eating wild fruit and one occasion two moths.

Amanda told friends and family that after realizing she was lost she tried to get back to her car. That effort took two days.

“After that, she gave up looking for the car and started looking for water,” said Katie York, a childhood friend who flew in from Maryland to join searchers in the vast forest for more than a week and a half.

On the third day, York said, Eller slipped and fell 20ft, breaking her leg and tearing the meniscus in her knee. After that, Eller focused on finding water to drink and food to forage. On day four a flash flood washed away her shoes, leaving her feet bare.

“The cold was what she said was the worst,” said York. “She slept in a boar den and covered herself with ferns and anything she could get her hands on. The main thing she wanted was for the rains to hold off so that she wouldn’t be cold and drinking muddy water.”

In the area of north Maui where Eller was found, nighttime temperatures can drop to into the low 60sF (15C), with humidity into the low 80s and frequent rains. She was wearing only a thin white tank top, a sports bra and a pair of yoga pants. For sustenance, Eller drank water from a stream she was following. For food, she ate wild strawberry guavas and, on Friday, two moths that landed on her.

York said: “She said every morning she’d wake up and say, ‘Today’s the day I’m going to get out of this.’ And every night she’d go to bed upset that it hadn’t happened.

“She said she heard lots of helicopters and would stand up and wave her arms but none of them saw her,” York said.

Eller’s friends and family said that at the time she was found, she had been following a stream in hope of finding the ocean. But she had become trapped at a point where the ravine dropped off sharply.

Woman found alive after two weeks in Hawaii forest ate moths to survive

17. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

That's what I thought at first, but then I googled satellite phones and most of them don't look like what she was talking on. And the calls were well before the rescue copter got there so she was using a phone from one of the 3 guys who rescued her. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

DancingMuse, byo, happyday and 4 others like this.
  18. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

The problem for me is it would drain my battery quickly I think.

DancingMuse and happyday like this.
  19. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

crhedBngr, CoolJ, DancingMuse and 7 others like this.
  20. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Well we know she didn't have one. I think everyone who has followed this story has learned something from it though. I did.

I'm scheduled for a long (for me) hike this Monday. A 4-5 hour hike. I'm going to make sure I have back up battery and a few other things. Just in case!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.