Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wary

wary Well-Known Member

DancingMuse and happyday like this.
  2. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

If that's what you got from Amanda's words, then ok. But if you were trying to paraphrase my post, that's not what I was saying.
    I was just a bit taken aback by her words because I think a lot of people would just blame their poor sense of direction for their ordeal and be done with it, but it seemed like she took the whole event to a more "big picture," spiritual level.

I agree with what others have said that it was so very soon after her rescue (less than 24 hours) when she was being interviewed, and so it will likely take her some time to collect her thoughts and put everything in into proper perspective.

3. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

It was tongue in cheek, sorry. Just thought that Chris makes a better hiking partner. Plus I would love to see Chris and her brother start a search and rescue organization together. They were sooo very good at it.

4. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Great post... love it!

MOO

5. InvSmith

InvSmith Sometimes your cross is carried by strangers

She was four miles from the car.

DancingMuse, bluenoser, byo and 4 others like this.
  6. proctorelites

proctorelites Well-Known Member

I can be very negative. I wiah I was more like her. So she's out there starving to death, broken leg and all and a couple weeks later shes finallu rescued amd sees the big picture. She feels like her torment out there brought people together and it made her feel like that was the purprose of her experience I suppose. What a positive lady. She sees the glass half full in every situation...Is what I suspect. idk her. I think now I inderstand her BF better now that I've heard how she views the world. But, with all the puzzle pcs. He fits her actually:) they seem very spiritual. Happy news.

7. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

It's AMAZING how they saw her from that helicopter. I looked at that photo and could not see her. So glad for this happy ending. :)

8. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

She already said she was trying to follow the stream, IIRC.

9. proctorelites

proctorelites Well-Known Member

You guys Sara and the BF:( Im glad they didnt let any negativity get to them. I don't know that I've ever seen a search like this one, or maybe the transparency was just so thorough. I tippy toed right up to the line on this one:( i apologize.

10. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

In listening to her words, I am struck by her resilience and belief that there in the goodness and positive actions in the world. I hope she continues to process this whole situation. I have to think that it will become overwhelming and confusing in the days to come as she realizes how close she was to not ever being found.

I don't think you can survive in those conditions if you are hopeless.

Her situation makes me wonder how many other people who have disappeared have survived over a period of time--only to perish because the official searches were called off. Her family and friends truly mobilized people, physically and spiritually.

LadyL, lizard1, kimpage and 21 others like this.
  11. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I think she was simply explaining why she went the direction she went - she trusted her gut.

12. gitana1

13. Bat Girl

Bat Girl Member

Four miles as the crow flies. Twenty four miles over land. Think about that. On day three she broke her leg.

ZhaZhaHa, esayer, LadyL and 18 others like this.
  14. gitana1

True. I would've been dead within 24 hours IMO.

esayer, Sunny123, Traymar and 8 others like this.
  15. gitana1

Absolutely! Her head is spinning. She was alone and surviving on waterfall water for 16 days!!

16. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Team leader Chris Berquist describes finding Amanda Eller
    Published May 25

esayer, misgrn, Seattle1 and 7 others like this.
  17. wary

wary Well-Known Member

I just realized—this is yet another case where dogs were a failure. :( That doesn’t mean that dogs don’t do good work. Just that if the dogs don’t find someone, it doesn’t mean that the person isn’t there.

18. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

A lot of lessons to be learned from this.
    And I don’t mean lessons Amanda learned.
    From not judging people to taking precautions and keeping hope alive. I hope many positive things come from this experience. I know without a doubt my family and friends would do the same for me if I were lost. And I would do same for family, Friends or a perfect stranger. Be kind to each other and let’s go out and do small acts of kindness. I wish all missing people could be found alive.

misgrn, borndem, gitana1 and 9 others like this.
  19. human

human Well-Known Member

What I learned is to not leave a trail, call police if your loved one does not return by a certain time, dogs do ‘t always know, your instincts may be deadly.

For awhile, small plane pilots were not trusting their instruments. They were going by their feelings and they drove their planes straight into the ground.

stygianowl, misgrn, MerBeach and 7 others like this.
  20. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

Depends on when the dogs were brought in. It was at least 24 hours later and likely hundreds of volunteers and dogs came and started searching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.