Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

The flights (many volunteers) alone would be cost prohibitive. Seems like a lot of great volunteers already working their bums off. Amazing effort from what I’ve seen.

2. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

I’ve missed some of the last thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed. Could she have been bitten by a snake? It could have caused her to stumble and possibly have a terrible fall. With nobody around, she’d have no help. This is just a thought. Jmo, of course.

3. sbunny

sbunny Member

Agree with you - nothing can be ruled out at this point. From an athlete's perspective, when you look at the trail ratings and reviews, you have lots of folks posting that they bring babies and dogs there....and that it is super easy. When you hear about a missing person on something like Vesper Mountain, an injury / fall is the first thing that comes to mind. In this case, I guess there are some more technical areas you can climb up into at Makawao, but would she have done that by herself? Most of us will probably say when we trail run or mtb by ourselves, we are much more conservative. If she did not bring her phone, that indicates that she had a firm knowledge of the trail system there (felt pretty confident).

CoolJ, cass523, DancingMuse and 3 others like this.
  4. human

human Well-Known Member

No snakes, but there are several bugs that bite that are incredibly painful. She may have been trying to get them off and get away and fallen into a bad spot .

When you are in pain from insects and especially flying insects, you are trying to get away and not thinking

5. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

My big question is does she typically go on major hikes or runs on trails without telling anyone? I'm in constant communication with my loved ones. I never hike or run without telling someone where I'm going.

Walks or runs on the street with my hyena? Yeah. I go without telling anyone because she would try to kill anyone who came near me. So I don't worry about my safety. And it's urban so someone would see if I collapsed or something.

But trail running? No way. I always let someone know.

Of course here in CA we have rattlesnakes and mountain lions.

But it's also not hard to break an ankle or get heat stroke anywhere. Or get ambushed by a predator.

I will always remember Chelsea King. A jogger at the same park Chelsea was murdered at was attacked by the same predator and survived. She described how it happened. (She saw him drinking beers on the side of the trail and when she looped back an hour later or so, he wasn't to be seen but tackled her from the side out of nowhere and took her into the brush where he tried to rape her. "You'll have to kill me first!" She said. "That can be arranged." He replied.)

Chelsea's body was found buried in the park five days after she was missing.

On one occasion when I was jogging the park without a dog, I saw two people on a trail sort of above me motioning at the brush ahead of me. Kind of pointing that way. I looked and saw a man come out of the brush ahead of me, look around at me and then sort of slow down as if to wait for me to catch up. I turned the hell around.

I talked to the couple and they told me they saw the man standing in the brush and were worried when they saw me jogging toward him and tried to warn me.

Maybe he was just peeing but you can't be too careful.

Is it commmon for women to go for runs on trails and not let anyone know where they will be?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Alice253, StarEyes, CoolJ and 16 others like this.
  6. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

We have an update on the phone today:

"UPDATE: No info from phone (last use/ping was at home, and all privacy settings were on so no Gmail tracking, etc). So disappointing.
    Car’s black box being analyzed, nearly complete."

The last ping was at home. That's interesting. That would mean her phone was powered down. It wasn't even on.

By the way, all we have been told at this point is that there were no phone number for her family members, only emails, and that there is no GPS data. Nothing further has been said.

source for quote: Findamanda

StarEyes, jash, Gone Girl and 15 others like this.
  7. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

8. gitana1

I am amazed at how much has been searched.

Find Amanda

(Click on the X and you will see a map of every place that's been searched. How they track it I don't know!)

CoolJ, cass523, KatzEye and 4 others like this.
  9. Mistree

BBM
    I thought her father said they were OFF!

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

That is interesting. She had her phone in the video of her at the shop, so she carried it with her just in case someone contacted her while shopping. It seems to me that the last ping should be at the post office or at the trails, not at home.

It's possible that she went home after the post office, but why would she turn off her phone before driving to the trails. Am I missing something?

CoolJ, jash, Gone Girl and 19 others like this.
  11. Mistree

BBM
    She obviously had Gmail, can you have gmail app without Google?

cass523, DancingMuse and otto like this.
  12. Mistree

Scratching my head with the same questions !

13. FactFinder3000

GPS tracking was off. That can be regard as privacy being on. It's kind of ambiguous.

cass523, Traymar, DancingMuse and 6 others like this.
  14. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Quote from the father is posted in several threads above. I certainly may have misunderstood him but coupled with a facebook message from Sarah that was posted in an earlier thread that she was unable to reach the parents because no phone numbers were on the phone led me to believe there is nothing on the phone.

cass523, DancingMuse, gitana1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Me too! What time was that ping? In the morning before she headed out or later in the morning indictating she returned home? And do we know for sure she was carrying her phone in the store? I can’t really tell myself when I look what she’s carrying. But why would she be carrying a turned off phone or why wouldn’t it ping there if she had it? So baffled.

cass523, human, MerBeach and 5 others like this.
  16. thomasn101

thomasn101 Member

He said her phone had no gps on. Again if you say her phone is empty a link to where you know that would be nice, because I heard the rumor early on, on the first few days. But i do not believe it was proven, so if you say just now its empty it would be nice to have proof.

DancingMuse, Suglo and otto like this.
  17. otto

otto Verified Expert

That doesn't sound right. New sim card or ... what does that mean?

DancingMuse and Mistree like this.
  18. gitana1

Yes! I have a neck knife that I wear around my neck. It's a bear claw looking thing. This is similar. Same sheath. Similar blade.

I also have another more standard sport knife that I either keep in my backpack when I'm with the dog or I can clip it to my pants.

And I either have pepper spray in my hand with a thing that wraps around my hand so I don't have to hold it -
    https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pepper-Gel-Spray/dp/B06XBM9P7M

- or I run with one clipped to my shorts on the side. I don't feel it.

They're very cheap so don't delay getting a new one.

I like the claw knife because you can use the claw to hack at someone's face or a lion's head once they drag you into the brush. I like it because it doesn't get knocked away if you're attacked.

The spray is good for coyotes (which a couple years ago were pretty aggressive and threatening at the main trial I use) or stray dogs. A pitbull attacked my baby (dog) a few months ago when we got home and got out of the car in the dark. Didn't hurt her but it was scary. The ONE time I didn't have my pepper spray in my hand!

I'm very worried about loose dogs coming after my dog. She's a fighter and it's not a good scene. So the pepper spray is crucial.

It's easy to feel safe when you're in an area you're familiar with. And Hawaii can feel so peaceful. Maui is kind of like a small town feel, right?

But I think it's smart for hikers and joggers to have something to protect themselves with and to let someone know where they will be.

Alice253, CoolJ, jash and 13 others like this.
  19. daisy_lacroix

daisy_lacroix New Member

It seems to me that at some point, someone with access to Amanda’s phone tampered with it—perhaps toggling privacy settings, wiping it clean, turning it off... They need to look more closely at those in Amanda’s inner circle. Just my two cents.

human, otto, DancingMuse and 4 others like this.
  20. FactFinder3000

'otto' has a great point. She did have the phone in the store. Here's a crop from the video where she looks right at the phone.

If the shop was near home, would the phone ping the towers? I'm not sure how that works. It might only ping when it switches towers. In any case, it's possible that 'findamanda' meant to say the last ping was *near* home.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.