GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Missing Hawaii woman with NC ties rescued from Maui forest :: WRAL.com

misgrn, Cortne, cass523 and 4 others like this.
  2. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Self delete, too personal question I had.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  3. dixiegirl1035

I can't imagine being in that situation. I really can't. I would be so scared to drink the water, although it is life-saving, because I would be scared of getting Giardia which would give me diarrhea and I might die of dehydration!

misgrn, gitana1, human and 3 others like this.
  4. dixiegirl1035

Must see video! Thank you for linking. What shocked me was they were saying they were following Pig paths. I had heard about wild boar, and how she had slept in a wild boar den one night, and one of the volunteers got injured by a wild boar, and some of the boar were killed and slaughtered to see if they had human remains inside.

misgrn, gitana1, Cortne and 8 others like this.
  5. dixiegirl1035

And following many many cases here, I have never ever seen what they did with the big screen television that uploaded searchers and where they were searching. @gitana1 did a post of what they used, and I meant to research it and I will have to go back and research it more

misgrn, gitana1, Mistree and 3 others like this.
  6. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

Drinking in the wild can get you a bug for sure. In my younger days hiking through the woods I would often drink from a stream. Never caught a bug.

Now I would be more cautious. Safest is near water source, flowing water with plenty of sunshine, if you have a bottle you can fill it and place in sunshine. Safer than stagnant water and the body needs fluids at some point.

Boiling water is probably best and there are pills that can be added to purify it. Small amounts of unscented bleach also purifies.

Am puzzled how she got turned around off trail being familiar with the area. Not like this was her first outing. Hope she takes a roll of twine with her next time and ties an end at the trail and spin it out when going off trail.

misgrn, LadyL, jash and 6 others like this.
  7. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

On Day 17, Ms. Eller was near a stream searching for “some plant to eat for dinner and some place to sleep that wasn’t directly in the mud” when she saw a helicopter. She said she had seen and heard multiple helicopters fly above her during her ordeal, according to her friend Ms. York, but none had spotted her. This one did.

“I looked up and they were right on top of me,” she said. “I was like, ‘Oh my God,’ and I just broke down and started bawling.”

Amanda Eller, Hiker Lost in Maui, Is Found Alive After 17 Days

Rescue workers had been combing the thickly wooded 1.5-mile radius around Ms. Eller’s car. But on a whim, the searchers in the helicopter on Friday decided to go farther, about seven miles from the central search area by air — the equivalent of 30 miles walking in such rough conditions, said Javier Canetellops, a search coordinator who was in the helicopter.

“We all did a double-take,” he said, referring to when they saw Ms. Eller. “Where we found her is an extremely treacherous area.”

misgrn, LadyL, borndem and 9 others like this.
  8. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

I can guarantee I’d be lost as heck if I went walking by myself in the forest. I have bad sense of direction. I definitely wouldn’t put myself in this situation because I know “I’m no go I’m no good I’m no good” with direction.
    I literally use gps in my neighborhood if I get turned around. Lol. Awful. Tell me left or right. No North or south rubbish. <modsnip: removed reference to rumor that was removed>

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2019
    misgrn, songbrd, DancingMuse and 8 others like this.
  9. Jinkasaurus

Jinkasaurus Well-Known Member

It is wonderful that this story had a happy ending.

One thing I would find interesting would be to know exactly at what spot she realized she was lost, and then to see when the search crews would have found her in that spot. This falls into the woulda, coulda, shoulda category, of course, but I'm just curious about how far off the trail and how far away from the parking lot she was when she realized she didn't know where she was.

windrower, misgrn, MerBeach and 13 others like this.
  10. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

....bringing this post forward as a friendly reminder :)

11. Bugurl747

Monday night celebration of life at the Surf Shack!

12. Bugurl747

Amanda's doctor gives video interview and update on her condition. Amanda's Mom, Javier, and Sarah speaks as well.

Amanda Eller’s Road to Recovery: Maui Hospital Press Conference
    May 25

Dr. Bulatovic said she became emotional when she learned that Aman

“What she’s been through, you would never be able to tell,” said Dr. Bulatovic, saying she thinks Amanda will have a “quick recovery.”

According to Dr. Bulatovic, Amanda has a fractured tibia that made it difficult to walk, and severe burns in her lower extremities from the sun. Doctors are also trying to get a skin infection under control as well as offering care for leg wounds.

Doctors say Amanda was able to manage to stay hydrated with the river water, and keep her nutrition up by eating fruits from the trees. “I was expecting to see more,” said Dr. Bulatovic. “You’d expect to see electrolyte imbalance, severely dehydrated, but nothing of that. Amazingly she looks great.”

Initially, Amanda was given introvenous antibiotics, but she will be downgraded to oral antibiotics. Doctors are hoping to deliver wound care so that Amanda heals from the inside out.

Doctors say they anticipate Amanda will be hospitalized for a few days.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/25/amanda-ellers-road-to-recovery-maui-hospital-press-conference/

13. Bugurl747

Finding Amanda: Team Leader Berquist Tells the Story
    Humble, patient and poised throughout the 16-day search, Berquist, who also wrangled with the media in between search tasks, reluctantly spoke with Maui Now about his “job situation.”

Rumor was Berquist was fired for taking time off work to conduct the search.

Berquist said he first volunteered on Sunday, May 12—his day off—when he said he “got pretty involved in the logistics of the search.”

Berquist has worked with fire departments, has high-angle rescue training, has been an instructor for vertical rescue skills, and has previously conducted K-9 rescues and search-and-rescues as a volunteer.

“That evening, John Eller asked me if I would stay on and finish the search,” Berquist said. “When the father of a missing girl asks you something like that, you don’t say ‘no.’ So I said, ‘Of course I’ll be there.'”

“So I texted my boss, saying ‘I have a moral dilemma… I really want to be here and do this,” but he acknowledged that he knew there was work to do for his employer.

“He needed me there; he had a schedule to keep and a company to run, so I showed up to work the next morning and worked for a half day—but then there was a meeting scheduled with fire and police and John in the early afternoon,” Berquist said.

So after completing what Berquist called “the important work of the day,” he asked his boss if he could attend the meeting.

Berquist’s employer said it had to be either “the work schedule or her.”

Berquist’s employer said he considered this to be insubordination. “He told me that I could choose between coming out here and staying there and working—so that was a pretty easy choice.”

“It was an easy call.”

As Berquist exited for the meeting, his boss announced that he was fired. Berquist had worked as an arborist until that Monday afternoon…

“I felt that that trees could have waited… they aren’t going anywhere. But no hard feelings—the man has a business to run and I understand that.”

snip

“We found Amanda because we did it right. We covered the ground so well that we had little to no doubt that she wasn’t within our reasonable radius. You rallied and pushed further out. Pushed harder. Stretched yourself to the limit and did the work! That is the only reason I could confidently ask for a heli to look further out and try to send our people deeper. Because we did everything we could to make sure that she wasn’t there. Everything. And you did it well. You guys and gals turned that map BLUE!

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/25/finding-amanda-team-leader-berquist-tells-the-story/

Attached Files:

La Louve, misgrn, LadyL and 16 others like this.
  14. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I used to feel this way too, being from an island where we just talk about mauka (mountain) or makai (ocean). In the islands many of us use that for our only guidance I think. However, when I lived on the mainland for a little while I kept getting turned around, and quickly learned to just use the sun (or moon) as my guidance. They both rise in the east every day, and set in the west. Just looking up, or using shadows tells me which direction is which. I think if Amanda had been able to use that her ordeal would have been lessened .

misgrn, Mamamerced, Traymar and 6 others like this.
  15. human

human Well-Known Member

Not impressed with Chris’s boss.

La Louve, esayer, misgrn and 12 others like this.
  16. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

If you talk to SAR folks they will tell you how people really do go outdoors unprepared, are not knowledgeable about the area they will be in, don’t check the weather, no map or compass skills and the list goes on. SAR professionals are not shocked by this story. Are they shaking their heads? Yup.

I’m relieved this woman is alive and will make a full recovery and go on with her life. I’m thankful no one was seriously injured rescuing her.

<modsnip>

misgrn, j_in_c, DancingMuse and 6 others like this.
  17. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

I’m a solo hiker (hike with my 180 pound dog) and I have 2 contacts who I share my location with via iPhone while I’m hiking every day. I am researching the GPS devices bc we don’t always have cell coverage. Before this, I hadn’t really considered what I’d do if lost.

misgrn, gitana1, Traymar and 11 others like this.
  18. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

Really quite amazing she didn’t get Giardia from the pigs.

Cortne, DancingMuse, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  19. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Well we don't really know what she got or didn't get.

LadyL, DancingMuse, human and 2 others like this.
  20. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

I don't get a feeling that there was "more to the story" or anything fishy about any of it, and the others I personally have spoken with on Maui haven't expressed anything other than joy.

It's coincidental that her father owns a GPS tracking company that was able to use their technology to organize an amazing search effort. I mean that literally: It was coincidental. Not suspicious.

And, if very cynical, one could say that Amanda, being ambitious and enjoying teaching about spiritual things, could have done this on purpose to get her name in the news, evoke sympathy, and establish a platform for herself, to ultimately generate income (through a book & movie, etc) or whatever. But I don't ultimately feel that she did that at all.

I will say this, she needs to sort of cool it with the whole "This spiritual journey was supposed to happen" type of talk, because many of the good souls who contributed $70k to her ******** are probably going to hear that type of interpretation and think "Uh...we put forth that money to rescue you from a horrifying ordeal -- not to facilitate an extended spiritual journey for you."

But I understand where she is coming from. When you endure something very challenging and hard, there is an inner need to think about it in more cosmic or spiritual terms, like "This is something that I'm enduring for a greater purpose" or "This event was pre-planned, for my own growth." I think a lot of us start thinking along those lines when we're in the midst of something horrible, and it helps A LOT to make it more bearable.

I've always felt since this started that she and her boyfriend are genuinely good people, I have not gotten bad vibes from them at all (or from Sarah), and I just don't feel there was anything underhanded going on in any way.

stygianowl, misgrn, Traymar and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.