Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

I thought the doctor said at the press conference that she hadn't gotten any bugs from the drinking water and her electrolytes were good.

I drank water from a stream in the West Maui Mountains once, because I ran out of water in my bottle, and I did not get sick or stomach cramps. There are pigs there, but not as many as the jungle where Amanda was found.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    LadyL, gitana1, DancingMuse and 2 others like this.
  2. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

I think Garmin good. Satellite

3. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Eller had been released from the hospital by Saturday evening . . .
    Amanda Eller, missing Maui hiker, survived on berries, river water and smarts for 17 days in Hawaii forest - CNN
    Updated 5:44 PM ET, Sun May 26, 2019
    [...]
    Eller was in a Maui hospital Saturday, surprising her doctor. Yes, she's lost 15 pounds, has a broken left tibia and they are treating her infections, but Eller looks "amazing."
    "What she's been through, you'd never be able to tell," Dr. Zora Bulatovic said.
    Eller had been released from the hospital by Saturday evening, according to a news release from the hospital.
    [...]
    Haynes confirmed to CNN Sunday that Eller had been released from the hospital and was "at an undisclosed location with a number of healers and nurses working on her."
    "She's walking on crutches," she said. "She feels great."

windrower, misgrn, Lato and 14 others like this.
  4. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 On Time Out

Great post and insight, Moxie.
    The only thing I'll add is that I don't think people need to change who they are to fit someone else's ideals or graces privately or publicly in this case. I appreciate and respect authenticity. And admire strength amongst derisiveness, etc.
    I think most people that donate to situations like this do it out of the goodness of their heart, and if for some reason they have a change of heart, per conditions of that type of fundraiser, your are entitled to request your monies back.
    MOO

Edit for spelling

windrower, misgrn, SaintGirl and 10 others like this.
  5. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

misgrn, jash, human and 4 others like this.
  6. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

The skin infections on her lower legs look more than serious enough.

AC's Grandma, gitana1, human and 5 others like this.
  7. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Innocent Bystander

Boo & Hiss @ Chris Berquists employer.

Surely someone will hear Amanda's story, learn about Chris and make an awesome job offer.

8. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 On Time Out

If I remember correctly, I thought he mentioned he was starting his own SAR with Javier, that they did this right and have a lot to offer others moving forward.

MOO

9. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Moxie, you have put into words my exact feelings about all of this!

misgrn, Traymar and DancingMuse like this.
  10. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Innocent Bystander

Oh great news!

misgrn, Sunny123, Bugurl747 and 2 others like this.
  11. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Rescued hiker Amanda Eller speaks from hospital bed
    9:13 am May 26, 2019
    [...]
    Eller said, “The 17 days of my life have been the toughest in my life. And it’s been a really significant spiritual journey that I was guided on. There were times of total fear and loss and wanting to give up. And it did come down to life and death and I had to choose…and I chose life. I wasn’t going to take the easy way out, even though that meant more suffering and pain for myself. But this is just like a tiny little blip of my story and my life and it serves a much, much bigger purpose. And the–seeing the way that the community of Maui came together, people that know me, people that don’t know me all came together just under the idea of helping one person make it out of the woods alive…it just warms my heart and just seeing the power of prayer and the power of love when everybody combines their efforts is incredible. It can move mountains. And at some points you know I think we all thought that was lost in the world. And it’s beautiful to know that it’s not only lost but it’s just it’s so prevalent. And if we allow ourselves to tap into that side,to open our hearts to be open to one another and see each other as just like brothers and sisters instead of like somebody we should be scared of, you know… we’re helping each other, we’re all a part of the same community, we’re all part of the same purpose of being here on Earth then that’s what this was all for. This was all about us coming together for a greater purpose of community and love and appreciation for life.”
    [...]

misgrn, gitana1, Traymar and 6 others like this.
  12. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Admin Note:

Posts that are not victim friendly and based on discussing rumors have been removed.

esayer, misgrn, SaintGirl and 11 others like this.
  13. DancingMuse

DancingMuse Well-Known Member

Agreeing with you missingm,
    She is amazingly strong to be so positive about what must have been a terrifying experience. Her legs look very painful now; I wish her a speedy recovery.

I'm sure she'll be monitored over the next couple of weeks to make sure healing is complete.

I've never been to Maui, but have hiked a lot on the Big Island.

I was warned so many times about drinking the water or even swimming in fresh water (standing or moving) because of parasites.

My guess is her doctor will be "on call" if she develops any symptoms over the next three to four weeks.

After that, she's most likely "in the clear".

Wishing Amanda, her boyfriend, her family and her rescuers the best!

Maui is an amazing community!

misgrn, Lato, gitana1 and 7 others like this.
  14. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I agree with all u have said with the exception of cooling it in regards to her spiritual journey. Why? Because other people Aren’t comfortable with their own spirituality? This is her story to tell. People are asking her story and she’s telling it her way. She didn’t set off to get lost for 17 days and have a spiritual journey. She said she intended to be there for a short time. She Was lost, alone, starving, cold, injured, afraid, faced with the possibility of death. So she turned to a higher being to get her through it. If it were me i’d be Praying like i’d Never prayed before. Praying to live another day, praying for food and water, praying to find my way out, praying to be rescued. I find her story to be very genuine and inspirational. She had no way of knowing people were donating money for her rescue. Shoot there was probably a time she had no way of knowing people were in the forest looking for her. Many people never thought she’d ever be found and certainly not found alive so just imagine how she was feeling. I think it’s very natural she feels that a higher being got her through it and brought people to her rescue. I also think she spent a lot of time asking why me? How did this happen? Why did this happen? And once she got through it she realized as is often said “everything happens for a reason”. She discovered the reason to be for love and to bring people together and to show there is still a lot of good in the world. Kudos to her for seeing the good in it.

15. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

Sometimes it takes a major life event to show you what you’re supposed to be doing in life. Chris shined in this search. Amanda’s dad’s company provided the software for the search effort. I am sure they will team up to take Chris’ natural leadership and SAR skill set to the next level.

esayer, misgrn, SaintGirl and 9 others like this.
  16. tigerteeth

tigerteeth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don’t understand the problem. She went though it, not us. No reason this would offend donators.

esayer, misgrn, SaintGirl and 5 others like this.
  17. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

This. I’m confused about the whole donation thing anyway. It was obvious her rescue cost thousands. It’s clear the money went where it said it was going. The alternative would be that one would donate money and she was never found or not found alive. Is that the condition those people were looking for? I don’t get. People wanted her found. She was found.

misgrn, LadyL, SaintGirl and 12 others like this.
  18. sillybilly

sillybilly WS Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Thank you Momof4RN .. your post says it all.

Folks, please stop the discussion about the fundraiser. There is absolutely no indication of impropriety other than rumors and/or gossip ... just people trying to make an issue where one doesn't exist.

19. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

There were about 850 donors and the majority of the money was from people who knew Amanda and her family. I remember seeing a $5,000 donation made by someone with the last name Eller. They likely don’t think it was a hoax or wish their money hadn’t gone toward helicopters that found Amanda and rescued her alive. The spectators who gripe that so much money was donated likely didn’t know anyone involved and didn’t contribute anything other than distraction and negativity.

misgrn, LadyL, SaintGirl and 12 others like this.
  20. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

I understand and I agree, she is totally allowed to interpret her experience any way she wants.

I like Amanda a lot (what I know of her), and so I'm just afraid that when she talks about how her strong gut feelings guided her away from her car and into the jungle, and about how she interpreted it as guidance when a branch would fall on her or she would stumble, and how those types of things -- which many would deem totally insignificant -- guided her out into the jungle to get lost, and how it all happened for a bigger purpose...I'm afraid people could hear these types of statements, and be like "There was so much money and effort put into finding you, all because you were following these types of random signals?"

That's why I said it might be a good idea if she toned it down about how the whole thing was fated and how she was led/guided out there for a bigger purpose. I don't want her to have to deal w/ backlash from people, and there has already been some.

stygianowl and DancingMuse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.