GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hereisme

Hereisme Active Member

I have not been in this thread for a while but how awesome to click on a link in our online NZ newspaper today and see that Amanda has been found!!! Bless everyone who kept up with the search and brought this woman out safely.
    Remember to pack well for even small hikes in the bush

2. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

i am so happy she is found and safe and healthy! it's extremely fortunate that someone lost in the wilderness had a father who had GPS technology that was used in her rescue. And that two of the people who found her are apparently going to to start a new business based on the incredible success they had in using the GPS data to find amanda. All of this is quite fascinating. So happy she is safe and warm.

3. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

4. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Chris is exactly the guy I want working for me- Don't live in Maui but hired on the spot...

5. Curiousobserver

I swam/snorkeled at that beach hundreds of times with my tiny daughters (who are all grown up now).

6. Curiousobserver

Great job Amanda for not giving up and also to the searchers. People think this cannot happen to them,... let me tell you a story. When I was 15 I went to a running camp in the PA mountains. My parents dropped me off and I went to check in. Before check in the counselors decided to take us on a run. About a mile or so in I twisted my ankle and fell behind. The group continued on without me. I thought it would be easy to find my way back, much less challenging terrain that in the Hana forests. Needless to say, 18 hours later I followed some power-lines back to the main road and to the camp. I spent the night wandering around the woods less than a mile or so from where I started. Nobody was even looking for me yet because we hadn't checked in. If I hadn't accidentally stumbled upon those power-lines, who knows? It is very easy to get lost in the woods. I now don't go on any hike without a GPS, my phone, and some extra batteries.

7. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Yeah you know it seems like a real small town vibe where everyone came together to help this woman. One of the most beautiful searches I've witnessed. But his boss wasn't a part of that.

Sunny123, misgrn, Hazelnutty and 8 others like this.
  8. human

human Well-Known Member

It makes me sad when I read ideas that someone survived because they have a purpose.

For all of those people who have loved ones who do not survive, this implies they had no purpose.

I think people have their own experiences that are for themselves. I don’t think anyone is greater or lesser

9. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you for a very profound statement!

10. gitana1

Hmmm. Good point! And since a lot of people get lost in Hawaii, he could maybe make a good living. Maybe they can make it a non-profit.

11. gitana1

Thank you. I think that that level of cynicism has to come from such a dark and lonely place.

I keep coming back to this thread because it's such a beautiful story.

12. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

misgrn, TatianaBarbie, Razz and 2 others like this.
  13. keiki kahala

keiki kahala New Member

I wonder what happened to the necklace she was wearing shown on the surveillance video. She does not have it on in the rescue pic. Perhaps her clothes had a pocket? Her boyfriend has the same necklace.

(after thinking about it, perhaps she removed it before going jogging)
    At the hospital, she had on a different necklace.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    missingm and DancingMuse like this.
  14. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

I don't think she was near the reserve for half a month, she said she was trying to find her way back to her car until late in the night on the very first night. Then I believe she said after that, her focus was on being near running water.

She was probably spending time hiking down one streambed until she couldn't go any further, then heading further east to another source of water and trying to make her way down that stream until it too became impassable, etc.

Everyone on Maui knows that going downstream in that area will lead you to Hana Hwy, but the rough terrain (cliffs/waterfalls/steep gulches) would make it really hard to make it all those miles down to the highway.

15. traveler1

traveler1 New Member

I was very happy to learn that Amanda had been found.

I'v read some misguided postings saying that people shouldn't be hiking alone, going off trail, must carry a phone, gps with them - it's been quite sad to read all these, clearly coming from people who never spend time outdoors. Someone even suggested dragging a string with you, when going off trail. :rolleyes: Humans had been using the forests since beginning of ages, without phones or gps - hunting, picking mushrooms, berries alone and off trail, obviously. By the way, Chris (rescue leader) only owns non-gps flip phone, I believe.

I'm woman who only hikes alone and like to go off trail (I do hike with a compass). One has to keep awareness of their path and not drift away mentally once they leave trail - for short distances, it helps to memorize landmarks such as fallen tree, a broken branch, a rock, vegetation patch. In general one must be aware of land orientation in the area having reviewed the map in advance, such as, for example knowing that a long road or trail traverses East of you or there's river or developed area North. If you go hiking off the road in the West direction, you know that if you hike East you'll get to the road; you may steer NE or SE but eventually you'll get to it. There're multiple ways to find out your direction without a compass. Following an instinct is generally a bad idea....humans seem to have lost natural sense of direction that animals have. I have pretty good sense of direction but I hiked one tail a few times that seemed to go straight, by all means; however, when you start you'd see the sun on your left - in 30 minutes you'd see the sun on your right - reviewing the map shows trail makes 180 degree turn and you end up hiking in the opposite direction to the one you started with.

"trying to find her way back to her car until late" - this is very dangerous. A lost person will likely be in the state of shock and such are known to cross well-marked trails without noticing them even in broad daylight, not to mention heading down dangerous terrain.

Finally, to those who blame Amanda of not being careful or claim they're in disbelief over what happened - in a halfway dense forest it only takes seconds before you can end up not knowing where you are, once you loose the sight of trail or road only for a brief time.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

So sad, in the opposite direction (west towards the setting sun) is Olinda Rd and it’s residential area not too far away.

17. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

There is a celebration of life for thiose DIRECTLY involved in the search, and donors, etc. It is sponsored by a business in Paia, does anyone know if those owners of the business are friends of hers? Very generous of them :)

18. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

19. TatianaBarbie

TatianaBarbie Well-Known Member

I just found out today that she was found. I'm so happy for her, her family, and her friends! What a wonderful job everyone did to find her!

Momof4RN, misgrn, Suglo and 4 others like this.
  20. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

2222E298-6418-4A9F-A204-5D37B0972A5E.jpeg 8681DAE2-D141-4AC4-A147-06E4AA1DE6D1.jpeg 4E5FEED4-F090-45AF-B9E0-4EACEE4D1CFA.jpeg Hi
    Right now there is the celebration for the SAR at Pā'ia Surf Club for everyone who participated in the search to find Amanda. At the door, everyone is screened and you cannot enter without an assigned wristband. I wanted to let you all know that I mentioned this forum and how supportive and dedicated everyone here is and how excited we all were when Amanda was found. We laughed about the keys .. on, over, under ... and why outside the vehicle.

I went to personally thank Sarah for all of her hard work. Sarah mentioned that they are going to continue searching for missing people and invited me to join them. It was too hard for me to stay at the celebration bc my brother remains a missing person.

Amanda was being protected from the crowd and was off to the side with a gorgeous flower lei. She just had leg surgery and was resting in a wheelchair. She looked amazing for someone who has survived for 16 days in a Maui rainforest, but there is a fragility to her. She has a road to recovery ahead of her but loads of supports. Tons of people showed up. Lots of hugs and smiles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.