GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

There's also a pocket to Velcro to the top of your shoes for a single key that joggers can wear. But I guess it's pretty safe where she was from car thieves.

borndem, Sunny123, human and 5 others like this.
  2. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

He says “There was no GPS track. She wasn’t running any apps OR GPS. All of her privacy settings had been turned off, SO THERE WAS NOTHING ON THE PHONE”
    It’s all in how u interpret his meaning. Again I could have misunderstood him.
    I do not have Facebook so no ability to find the information about no numbers on the phone. But it is posted on an earlier thread. Sarah could have meant no numbers at all or no numbers for her family.

cass523, otto, DancingMuse and 3 others like this.
  3. gitana1

That's weird. Seems intentional.

CoolJ, borndem, Sunny123 and 10 others like this.
  4. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

Can someone bring the link forward of Amanda’s father talking about her phone ?
    I believe it’s in the last thread.
    He mentions NO GPS and NO apps!
    I am mobile at the moment and can’t link or find it.
    I think it was yesterday and he also spoke about her vehicle GPS box.

DancingMuse and gitana1 like this.
  5. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

1. Stopped at the store before going to the post office: about 10:10 am
    2. Running shoes are missing from her home, flipflops found in car, so it's presumed she switched for the trail.
    3. No info
    4. Didn't tell anyone her plans. Seems to me, from what her boyfriend said, about assuming she had other plans that evening when she wasn't home, she perhaps didn't keep him in the loop with her activities.

With regards to the case of Leanne Beardon, apparently she left a possibly suicidal note, and had been having trouble reintegrating after their big trip. She looked so happy on social media, but she was experiencing severe depression, that they didn't talk about. It's not uncommon, after that kind of incredible high of being in love and travelling, to come back down to earth with a crash.

Leanne's husband knew it was probably suicide, but "he clung to a small ray of hope that perhaps his wife had decided to run away."
    Josh's Story:

Of course, that was not shared with the searchers or the media, and I can understand why.

But I think it points to the futility of trying to interpret what happened based on our assumptions about how her life was going, or her relationships, etc. Not only are our assumptions biased, but we don't know the real story behind the social media facade.

I think an investigative approach can only theorize based on the known evidence (which includes evidence that isn't there, such as signs of foul play)

Detectivediva, KatzEye, human and 7 others like this.
  6. gitana1

If the privacy settings were on that means no tracking of location. I do that to save power.

But if her phone didn't even ping when she was out shopping as we saw her on video do, seems she intentionally turned off her phone.

Unless it was out of power.

borndem, Sunny123, KiKiD72 and 6 others like this.
  7. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Is it even possible to have no apps? They come with the OS. That is NOT what he meant to say.

8. gitana1

Thank you so much. Good post.

9. Cagle

Cagle Well-Known Member

I wonder if she had a pre-paid cell that was out of minutes? Often those who are out of minutes can use wifi still, which would make sense it was last used at home & maybe explain the other issues.

10. gitana1

You can clear your phone of contacts and also data. Go to find my iPhone and there's a lost phone option to either ping it, lock it or erase it.

11. gitana1

Unless she had it wiped and turned off first. She might still carry it out of habit.

Do we know when the phone last pinged? What time? And did she return home after shopping?

LE statements don't seem to indicate so. They indicate she was last spotted on camera at a store. Running clothes underneath her shirt.

What did she buy and where was the stuff? Was it only what she ordered for her mama?

human, otto, DancingMuse and 2 others like this.
  12. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

I can't say how I know, but there were tons of contacts on the phone.

I'm repeating myself here, but the precise quote from the father was this:

“There was no GPS track,” he said. “She wasn’t running any apps or GPS. All of her privacy settings had been turned off, so there was nothing on the phone.”

He is saying there was nothing in terms of GPS. That's it. Folks are taking things out of context.

source: https://mauinow.com/2019/05/23/day-15-mpd-discloses-forensics-report-on-amanda-ellers-phone/

dixiegirl1035, jash, Secrett and 13 others like this.
  13. gitana1

I think it would. And she looks like she is accessing her phone. Texts or email or internet.

What gives?

borndem, Sunny123, human and 4 others like this.
  14. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

In regards to phone. I’m always being told to clear out apps that I’m not using at the moment. Turn off location data if you don’t want Walgreens (example) to notify you when you’re near their store. An FB (among others) can track you unless you turn off that feature. Maybe she got home after store Turned phone off because she wanted to “unplug”. Therefore no gps data.
    Then went on hike/swim etc.

cass523, KiKiD72, human and 4 others like this.
  15. gitana1

I think it's clear she had a standard iPhone with a plan.

borndem, Sunny123, human and 4 others like this.
  16. gitana1

And to save power maybe. Phone can also overheat if you leave it on in a locked car.

I'm just baffled by it not pinging near the store.

borndem, Sunny123, human and 6 others like this.
  17. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

Maybe cell tower issue.

18. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

So they must be getting lots of questions because more detail have been added to the phone update. Sorry I don’t know how to bring it over if someone else wants to take that on.

19. thomasn101

thomasn101 Member

Exactly this, I keep repeating WHERE did he say her phone is empty in terms of you believing it was WIPED. Because I dont see it

Thank you

20. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

We don’t know what type of phone she had!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.