Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I believe you are mistaken. She didn’t “basically got intentionally lost following a voice”.

She got lost first, and then trusted her intuition to get her out of that forest.

You are making it out as though she is a crazy person hearing voices in her head which is why she got lost. I am not sure why you see this situation in such a negative light. That is not what happened, it is the narrative you have dreamed up for whatever reason.

Why the negativity?

2. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I don’t think you understand her perspective well at all if you find her “cringe-worthy”

Momof4RN likes this.
  3. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

How can speaking her truth be a terrible comment? Why is it “a terrible” comment?

Gunslinging Granny likes this.
  4. curiousLR

curiousLR Active Member

Momof4RN likes this.
  5. DissociativeFugue

DissociativeFugue Well-Known Member

I am very happy she is healthy and safe, but yes, some of the things she is saying I do find a bit bizarre. However, I know a lot of spiritual people like Amanda so it isn’t, like, extremely weird. It is a bit much though. Something about her statements is a little off-putting. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is.

misgrn, MFH, DancingMuse and 3 others like this.
  6. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

I watched the full press conference last night in order to comprehend better her statements and after feeling rather dispirited at all the comments under the news articles and some here. It was my feeling that after going through such a life or death trauma, that she should be allowed to speak of her ordeal and how she coped out there injured, lost and alone.

Being a spiritual individual, it seems to me that Amanda used this "journey" rhetoric as a coping mechanism to survive, talking to the sky, invoking guardian angels to get her out of this, that getting lost was meant to be as purposed for her own spiritual growth. I can understand that, and it's possible that another person without this sense of élan vital and spirit may not have survived.

No doubt she was frightened and holding on to hope, but after stating she was alone and reduced to pure rawness, and then stating she was not alone in the grand scheme of things, I can get that too.

It seems to me that Amanda is still euphoric during the conference, and needs time to fully process the experience and come down to earth, and understand the incredible getting together of community and SAR agencies in their nonstop dogged determination to find her. Those people I hope she will properly thank, each and everyone of those people, strangers alike.

I don't judge her behavior at this point, but I do think this long conference was premature and believe she should have been properly advised to recover more fully and to grasp that it was all those others who saved her, notwithstanding her own admirable resilience and fortitude. I wish her the best, and I wish her wonderful boyfriend Ben the best as well

7. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

It is what tends to happen when you follow your heart. Like, truly follow your heart. You will have many naysayers. People who turn against you. It is inevitable.

misgrn and Momof4RN like this.
  8. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

It is not her perspective or spirituality that I object to, it's mainly her delivery.

And some things she said I just found tactless, and other things evidenced an inflated sense of self-importance (to me at least).

9. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I do understand why you feel that way. I see it and understand it very differently, but I understand your perspective.

As I was watching the press conference I was totally understanding what she was saying but at the same I thought to myself that many people are not going to get this at all.

10. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Amanda continues to praise and thank others.

On Monday, Eller acknowledged her recovery while praising the community that saved her.
    "You guys are the heroes,'' Eller said, according to NBC. "I am not the hero, I am just the girl sitting here healing my ankles.”
    Eller made a last-minute address to praise the hundreds of neighbors who aided her rescue after she reportedly hiked into the woods on May 8 and found herself disoriented, Hawaii's KHON-TV reported.
    "I'm just the girl that got lost in the woods," said Eller, wearing a lei around her neck. "You guys like showed up hard. This is like true aloha."
    She continued, thanking the community for "showing up with so much frickin' heart and so much passion.”
    'You guys are the heroes': Missing hiker Amanda Eller thanks rescuers in emotional appearance

11. Gunslinging Granny

Sunny123, Stripehaven, misgrn and 7 others like this.
  12. Gunslinging Granny

Here's another quote where Amanda expresses her gratitude.

“I have the most gratitude and respect and appreciation — I can’t even put it into words — for the people that have helped me, for the people that have prayed for me, for the people that were at base camp, for the people all over the world that somehow just wanted to be a part of this for the greater good outside of themselves.”
    'I Chose Life.' Hiker Rescued After 17 Days in Hawaii Forest Thanks Supporters

Sunny123, Stripehaven, misgrn and 6 others like this.
  13. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I was looking for that article! I was trying to figure out how people got the impression she wasn’t thankful because I wasn’t hearing that at all. Yes she often used the word greatful but in the text synonyms with thankful. Not to mention they had a party to personally thank all involved including the SAR, police, fire department etc.
    I can tell you the lesson i’ve Learned from all of this is that if I have to ever be rescued there won’t be a press conference. I would just release a statement saying “Thank you thank you thank you and thank you again”

Stripehaven, misgrn, MsArk and 8 others like this.
  14. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

When the press conference first aired there was about 20 minutes beforehand that was recorded live and caught personal conversations at the table between Amanda and her family.... I heard her and her father talking about the party and he asked what she thought..... she was clearly grateful but at the same time she said “it was just a lot”.... I think she would rather keep everything closed and personal for the time being but the party and press stuff was planned for her, not by her.

15. Gunslinging Granny

Looks like she spent two weeks in a luxury spa? What?

She had a BROKEN LEG, LOST 10% OF HER BODY WEIGHT when she was already thin, and had INFECTIONS REQUIRING DEBRIDEMENT ON BOTH FEET AND ANKLES.
    Yoga teacher Amanda Eller, who survived 2 weeks in a Hawaii forest, out of hospital
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 4.29.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 4.29.49 PM.png

16. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

It's not negativity. It is her own words.

Live updates: Hawaii hiker Amanda Eller speaks about surviving 17 days in forest - CNN

Please don't accuse me of dreaming up a narrative. It is a pretty aggressive accusation, and I hope you didn't mean it.

misgrn, jash, bellesnwhistles and 6 others like this.
  17. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

CoolJ,
    I've worked at several metaphysical bookstores, worked with 20+ psychics (who were employed at the bookstores), I've been reading spiritual books since I was a small child, I meditate out in nature...Believe me, I understood exactly what she was talking about, I got all of her references, and I understood what she was trying to convey.

However, she speaks with the zeal of the newly converted. For myself, I just prefer (and prefer others) to be a bit more philosophical and circumspect and balanced about spirituality, whereas Amanda -- in my opinion -- speaks fancifully and forcefully, as if she has dranken the Kool-Aid and buys into it all hook line and sinker. I actually share many of her beliefs, but just prefer a more subtle approach.

I have met many, many people like her.

I think it's just a difference in personalities. I would feel the same if she was a born again Christian going on and on about the Holy Spirit & Jesus....or a Buddhist going on and on about zen and samadhi.

puakenikeni, misgrn, jash and 12 others like this.
  18. Gunslinging Granny

She's exhausted and will be for several weeks. Her body metabolized her muscle tissues to stay alive. She is likely still undergoing daily, painful debridements of the wounds on both her ankles and feet. Hospital visitations and parties are "a lot" for the exhausted.

19. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

There is a fragility to anyone who has survived a traumatic event and people over-analyze and are hungry for answers. The family can make the press statement and when some time has passed, the person can share the experience when they are ready. Or not at all. Hundreds of searchers went to the gratitude celebration. There were MANY thank yous. No one was pissed off. Amanda was off to one side, she had just had surgery and was a trooper for going. At the press conference, she was answering questions.

20. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I don’t think she cares what other people think of her. That’s the difference in perspective between you and her. I don’t think you understand what she was saying at all.

ETA - look I understand what you are saying I just don’t understand why you feel the need to speak about the victim in this case in such a negative light.

yawningreyhound and Bugurl747 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.