Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Here's my take on this:

Websleuths is said to be "victim friendly." Some folks want to argue about whether or not Amanda is a victim. So okay, let's just say then that websleuths is "subject friendly." I really do think that the last thing we want here is for this forum to turn into a giant pile-on against Amanda.

On the other hand, there are some folks who are trying to push a false narrative. Let's keep this real and stick to the facts. Her actions are inexplicable. In spite of this she was found and that's a good thing. End of story.

Seriously, this is not a case I'll soon forget. I had personally lost all hope. I was very worried that somebody was going to get hurt looking for her. Then she's found and it's a miracle! The reaction of her father and sister when she was found brought tears to my eyes. How can you not be affected by that? But the things Amanda has been saying since are really hard to deal with, frankly. Somebody said "cringe-worthy" and that is precisely how I feel. She needs a publicist, or at the very least somebody to explain to her how this is coming across. Because it's not good. There is zero contrition. It's like she's celebrating the whole thing.

misgrn, windrower, MsArk and 14 others like this.

2. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

There is a fragility to anyone who has survived a traumatic event and even tho onlookers are hungry for answers, maybe staying quiet is best. The family can make the press statement and when some time has passed, the person can share the experience when they are ready. Or not at all. Hundreds of searchers went to the gratitude celebration. No one there was pissed off. Amanda was off to one side, she had just had surgery and was a trooper for even attending. Everyone who searched was invited and everyone was thanked. Everyone was hoping this was a case of lost in the woods and this is the best possible ending. Trolls are even questioning the use of donations — unlikely anyone who donated — it’s not possible that she doesn’t have a lot of healing ahead of her ... physically and emotionally. Without those funds, she unlikely would not have been found.

Bugurl747, misgrn, Seattle1 and 6 others like this.
  3. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Findamanda

misgrn, ZhaZhaHa and darring21 like this.
  4. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen it, this is the video I'm talking about. Her dad and sister get the news live. Absolutely heart gripping stuff.

The positives from this story outweigh the negatives in my view. And there is so much more I want to say but I'll leave it at that.

misgrn, Beanpot, Seattle1 and 7 others like this.
  5. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

I am in awe that this woman was actually found alive. Regardless of her point of view in life or decisions that she made, I am excited that she and her family will be able to speak, hug and enjoy each other. There are millions of people that I don't understand, agree with or share the values of. For me, Amanda will be who she is and evolve to where her path takes her. Her having her life and the ability to breathe each day is worth all that those who went the extra mile went through to get to her. I wish every victim who had/has the unfortunate experience to have a thread emboldened with their name on this site could be given the opportunity to meander through a new day or path or just be who they are. Too often, we all just have to remark on the sadness of their fate.

6. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

I’m at loss of why some people feel Amanda should she feel contrite about accidentally getting lost, accidentally falling off a cliff, accidentally breaking her leg, and then ending up trapped in an area where it was difficult to locate her.

Her cellphone didn't have reception there. That's why she was seen talking on a satellite phone to her dad.

7. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

CoolJ,
    I am grateful to you for holding a mirror to my face. My comments about Amanda over the last 48 hrs HAVE been negative, possibly even downright cruel. I'm a work in progress, just as Amanda is, and we all are. I sometimes need feedback on my behavior like you have given me, which forces me to reflect on my own inconsistencies and less than stellar qualities.
    And who knows, perhaps the negative feedback that Amanda has received from her press conference might open her eyes to questionable qualities within herself that she hadn't been previously aware of. Criticism can be a catalyst for greater self-awareness. We're all evolving and striving to be better people, and I'm sorry for my snotty comments.
    As I've said, I am genuinely happy that she made it through and that she's healthy.

LeeAnnB, misgrn, Claudius and 9 others like this.
  8. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

I don't fault her for getting hurt. I do fault her for getting lost. I normally wouldn't care, but she admittedly wandered into the forest following impulses that she hoped would guide her back out. She also has said herself that she should have taken her phone. This is what she has said publicly.

And I don't know why you are saying she had no service as if it were fact. We have no idea whether she had service or not, especially the first few days. Given how far she travelled (kudos to her) she very likely would have found service somewhere. Or could have used Google maps to find her way back. You don't need service for that.

I am happy she was found. I don't have any doubt that she was in that forest for 16 days just by looking at her legs. I hope she has a successful life. And finally, if she wants to write a book she should do it.

But I don't see why anyone would debate whether bringing her phone would have been helpful. I dont see why anyone would think that wandering into a forest without knowing where you are going and losing a sense of direction isn't a bad idea. It's just common sense.

ETA: none of this is any attempt to even demean her. MOO. IMO.

9. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I’m with you. If I were to try and spread the same message Amanda is, I would want to do it in a more subtle way.

There is no doubt that this whole saga is so outrageous that it almost feels like a hoax.
    But I look at the facts first and there is no doubt that Amanda was lost in the forest for 17 days with nothing, not even her shoes for the vast majority of the time,... she was significantly injured, she was malnourished, dehydrated, infected ankles, crawling around pig trails etc.. etc..

This was only a matter of days before that press conference.... who knows what sort of trauma she is suffering from that she doesn’t even realize yet? I am more interested in hearing how she communicates all of this a year from now or longer. Maybe then she will present her message in a more subtle light, after she has time time to process everything. And to heal.

This is a good story people. There is no need to turn it into something ugly.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Stripehaven, LeeAnnB, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  10. Gunslinging Granny

Amanda had exercised on the forest trails numerous times before. Ben said this and there is a photo on FB showing her in this forest. She wasn't wandering. She was on trails. She accidentally became lost. Accidentally.

There have been at least two locals on this thread that have stated there is no cell coverage in that forest and many places on Maui. The rescuers gave Amanda a satellite phone to call her dad for a reason.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.42.24 PM.png

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  11. human

human Well-Known Member

Gitana had a video on here of someone running the trail. It was wide and clear. Perhaps it is not that way the whole way?

missingm and DancingMuse like this.
  12. wary

wary Well-Known Member

I thought she said that she went off the trail, meditated, and then couldn’t find her way back.

LadyL, MsArk, human and 2 others like this.
  13. HighlanderNH

HighlanderNH New Member

Since there are residential homes/ranches to the West of the Reserve I don't understand why she didn't focus on getting a fix on a Westerly direction as soon as she became lost before injury or lack of food water became an issue.

14. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

From what she said, it seems like she didn't wish to use logic, she just wanted to use her intuition/gut feelings to lead her.

LadyL, mommylicious, ZhaZhaHa and 5 others like this.
  15. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

I recall Amanda stating that she has NEVER carried her phone on a hike during the number of years that she's been on the island.

I do believe it was both because she wanted no interference with her time with nature, and limited if any service.

However, Amanda's also made it very clear that not having a gps or phone with her was downright stupid and/or stubborn, and she will never again hit the trail without a device.

MOO

Bugurl747, LadyL, misgrn and 7 others like this.
  16. missingm

I am kinda curious how she entered the forest, which trail(s) she may have started on, since the dogs lost the scent early. Probably lost it from other dogs and people who used it before the search dogs were used, but I am curious if maybe she just entered in a non-obvious manner.

17. curiousLR

curiousLR Active Member

New post on the FindAmanda page talking about "phase 2" of this and how her father's company and Chris Berquist will be using their gps technology to help assist future cases. Or something like that, I do not fully understand what her dad's company does and I still need to drink some coffee before I dive in anymore.
    There of course are already trolls commenting on the post and how it was a hoax and the plan was to profit off it etc etc. I still don't buy the hoax theories and think it's great if through this ordeal they are able to find a way to help other missing people.

DancingMuse, angelainwi and missingm like this.
  18. missingm

Excellent news! I was hoping that Chris would work with the family in a SAR venture. And there is no way Chris B or Amanda's family ever thought it was a hoax. The work they did was real.

19. Gunslinging Granny

Google wound debridement. If you're really brave and have a strong stomach, look it up on youtube. The pain is as bad as bone cancer. Amanda is a physical therapist with 20 years experience. Like many medical professionals, she's seen wound debridements and greatly fears it. She didn't intentionally break her leg and give herself a life-threatening infection which needed extremely painful wound debridement (black eschars on her feet) and will leave hideous scars.

Sunny123, misgrn, DancingMuse and 2 others like this.
  20. Gunslinging Granny

(shortened respectfully)
    I'm saving Chris' name in my "do not ever delete file" in case any of my friends or kids are ever lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.