Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

Completely agree with no one size fitting all but if there are lessons to be learned from AE’s ordeal seems to me she would have been much easier to find had she just put until help came. I suppose she did need water after some time though.

DancingMuse and wary like this.

2. ZhaZhaHa

ZhaZhaHa Well-Known Member

Maybe some people just don't go hiking and don't understand? Lots of questioning why she'd just go out there without a plan. This is most all of my family's hikes! No map, and if i did check one, it was just a little glance to find the parking lot. Her biggest mistake was not bringing her phone. I would have, most of us would have. But she didn't. She got lost. Who cares if something inside of her told her where to go...I've been on hikes and know which fork in the trail to take based on my intuition, and I'm almost always right. My husband though...he does not have this sense of direction and usually argues the opposite way, we have different functioning brains and his does not remember how many times we've already gone left or right (he can name every bone in the human body though, I cannot). With that said, my husband just went to a trail where there is no service and I expect to hear back from him in a few hours...it is well traveled though so fingers crossed, lol. My point is that a lot of people go out into nature without a hard plan and that's OK.

3. ZhaZhaHa

ZhaZhaHa Well-Known Member

We hiked the area where Noah went (the super touristy beginning of the trail), and inside of the foliage and near the water? No way you could hear out of that. Rushing water alone is too loud to hear everything around you. Then the plants are SO big and thick, they swallow up the sound. It's gorgeous there, I would love to visit again! But just check the pin drop photos on google maps and you'll understand how dense the vegetation is.

KatzEye, Stripehaven, misgrn and 3 others like this.
  4. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

because as soon as she realized she was lost, she kept going and going and going. she was following her inner voice. in fact according to NYT she did not stop hiking until Midnight the first day. Now folks have been telling us over and over that it's slippery, there are waterfalls, there are cliffs, there are ditches, there are ravines. How you can walk in pitch black in that forest is something that I still wonder about. but the reason just calling her name did not work is her inner direction rapidly moved her outside the area that they were searching.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
  5. evergreen

apparently the find Amanda team has a plan to use donated funds to install cameras in and around the forest where Amanda got lost. My question is what gives them the authority to do this? has this been approved by the state or county? is this the best idea out there? is this the best use of leftover funds? Are invasive cameras necessary? Are the cameras hooked up to the GPS company that is involved with phase 2 of "find Amanda"? does this plan to monitor hikers fit with the Anti technology world view that AE espouses? there are lots of questions about this.

6. HighlanderNH

HighlanderNH New Member

What happened to Amanda happens to many people hiking...you lose your bearings or lose sight of the trail and become disorientated...and your lost. Your priority then is to consult your GPS device, trail map, smartphone, compass, or Sun to get your bearings the best you can. This is very important. Because if you don't, your situation could go from bad to worse very quickly depending on your location's particular dangers (animals, temperature/weather, lack of food/water, etc..). Using intuition, or a gut feeling to get bearings is the last thing you want to do...but many people make this mistake all the time.
    Amanda is very lucky as are all the many people who worked tirelessly day after day to find her. I'm very happy as this story ended well for all...

7. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2019

John Eller and Chris Berquist announce Phase 2 of the FindAmanda effort. A volunteer initiative to carry forth the technology practices and lessons learned from the FindAmanda campaign. Spearheaded by Chris Berquist, in conjuction with InSight Mobile Data, this program will be offered to search organizations in need of a technology boost to improve probability of safe rescue or recovery.

KatzEye, misgrn, DancingMuse and 2 others like this.
  8. curiousLR

curiousLR Active Member

I cannot get the sound to work but FindAmanda posted a new video and by reading the comments it appears she is apologizing for something, I think relating to the press conference. Can anyone fill me in?

DancingMuse likes this.
  9. evergreen

yes she obviously was told that the public perception was going against her and she took this opportunity to clarify a number of things. also she apologized for putting people in harms way and thanks everybody who searched for her. She was very apologetic and contrite. and I think she is going to lay low for a while and recover. I believe this is going to help her and turn perception more in her favor again.

LadyL, misgrn, DancingMuse and 8 others like this.
  10. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

11. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I commend her for recognizing that there is a negative perception, and addressing it. She seems like a totally different person then at the press conference, but it’s understandable as a person goes through different phases of recovery from trauma. Good for her, I do wish her the best in her recovery.

12. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

This should clear up the misinterpretation some folks were having.

She got lost in the woods which created an experience that became a spiritual journey.
    She didn’t get high and get lost on purpose listening to little voices in her head as some have proposed.
    This is a good story all the way around, it baffles me that the negative mindset and opinion seem to proliferate message boards and comment sections.
    First that negative mindset wanted to accuse Ben of murder and then they moved on to Sarah and then when it became clear that Amanda wasn’t murdered, the vultures turned on Amanda herself. Totally mind boggling!

13. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

As the sister of a missing brother, I wake up every day with a tremendous measure of grief in not knowing if my brother is suffering, if he was murdered, if he got lost in the woods ... not knowing is an immeasurable pain that never goes away. Never. Time does not change anything. It stays raw. It was traumatizing to have 2 Maui missing persons these past few weeks. It was a tremendous relief to have Amanda found safely. And it is so incredibly tragic that Kekai did not survive. Not knowing is a suspense that rips apart families, friends and communities. I hope both families and our island community are able to heal. These forums provide a place to collectively share info and seek answers for friends, families and communities who are suffering. I hope the energy moves along to the next case. You’re needed there.

14. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

DBM

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  15. FleurQualia

FleurQualia Searching Soul

Man, this girl can't catch a break. First she gets lost in the woods for 17 days, endures a broken leg and two infected feet, is luckily rescued alive, has to go through painful medical procedures, gives a statement, gets slammed by everyone for the statement not being good enough, gives an apology, gets slammed for the apology not being good enough. At this point, I seriously just want to give her a hug.

I guess some just hate happy endings?

16. Little Jack

Little Jack Member

I can’t help but wonder if she is or was taking some pain meds that may have been influencing her conversation. That is just pure speculation based on her injuries.

17. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

<modsnip - quoted post and reference to it removed>
    I didn’t listen to the press conference and just read the varied comments here, and it seemed that she may have been still traumatized and then “high” from surviving and being found. I’ve noticed this after other rescues, and the public tends to be very disapproving if the survivor doesn’t seem to immediately “get” the role they played in their misadventure. However, I did listen to the latest statement. Amanda’s humility, gratitude and taking responsibility will, I hope, satisfy those who needed to see more of that earlier. She seems like a good person who has been through a life-changing experience. May her life now return to “what passes for normal,” as I like to say. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  18. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I deleted my happy ending post because I realized it posted after FindingJonRiley (i’m so sorry). And then it was followed by yet another negative comment I had thought we finally got past. And then I saw the news of 13 killed today in Virginia Beach. Prayers to all who are suffering today.

19. human

human Well-Known Member

I have read she did not have a broken leg after all. Did she or did she not?

20. FleurQualia

FleurQualia Searching Soul

Does it matter? She's alive. It could have been misreported in the initial flurry. Or is she going to be blamed for that to?

What makes her enough of a "victim" for people? If she was nothing less than dead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.