Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

Where has it been published that the Makawao Forest Reserve- Bamboo Forest has cell service? tia

A 30-something-year-old man who uses a flip phone? Unlikely, imo.
    It looked like a thick, black, satellite phone.
    Top 3 Best Satellite Phones in 2019 - Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.42.24 PM.png

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

2. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Where has it been published that it was a satellite phone? tia

And it is well known Chris uses a flip phone.

LadyL and missingm like this.
  3. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

4. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

The two photos that are in this post. The first one on the left was taken at the scene of her rescue, prior to any medical treatment. The one on the right with the bandages is, of course, after medical treatment. I certainly don’t know what kind of treatment she received but Regardless, it looks like she had a pretty bad infection. Staph can easily flourish in the jungle with the heat and humidity.

DancingMuse, human and misgrn like this.
  5. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I am not a medical person, so I’ve never heard of the Eschar, but I started to read the article and I couldn’t finish. EWW!

I did always wonder why that portion of the skin got so much sunburn in relation to the rest of her body though? I’m not sure if the redness around it is actually sunburn? I always thought it was red from infection.

Hazelnutty and human like this.
  6. FactFinder3000

Here is Chris holding
    I'd say it was published right here...

Attached Files:

• tmp2.jpg
      tmp2.jpg
      File size:
      134.1 KB
      Views:
    missingm likes this.
  7. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

8. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Why the focus on cell reception at her rescue or anywhere she hiked that day and the days following?

She didn’t bring her cellphone anyway. It wasn’t because she claimed there was no service, no point in bringing it. She said she planned a run and didn’t want to carry it. She acknowledged that was not a wise choice.

I don’t understand the focus on it.

Can you hear me now? (Verizon guy)

9. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well-Known Member

I hear you. :D I thought this thread would of dried up by now. I was going to drop out but I keep coming back to learn new words, debridement and eschar, so far.

misgrn, Hazelnutty, Seattle1 and 3 others like this.
  10. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

11. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Exactly what xd my mind too

12. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

its obvious there was cell service where they found her. they found her CLOSE to twin falls which is a popular tourist destination right off the hana highway. and javier is obviously talking on a smart phone.

DancingMuse, missingm and Hazelnutty like this.
  13. Stripehaven

Stripehaven Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if meds had an effect on how she behaved or expressed herself. When I came out of anesthesia after a mastectomy, I was yakking and yakking about how great I felt, and come on! Let’s walk around the halls, and by the way, somebody bring me a cheeseburger because I’m starving! Basically I was acting like I was some big tough babe who had had a minor scrape. I feel great! What’s the big deal? Then a nurse looked at my chart and said, “Yeah, they shot you up pretty good.”

I was high as a kite. MUCH less exuberant as the day progressed. I did get my cheeseburger, though.

I feel women, so much more than men, are often subject to criticism for not being “nice” enough - grateful, contrite (how many women do you know who say “I’m sorry” for things they have no control over, like “ sorry the weather is so bad today”?), placating. Too many of us were trained to rein in our personalities lest we come across as too forceful. The comments here that surprised me the most had to do with agreeing with Amanda’s spiritual beliefs but not approving of how she expressed them. Just kind of boggled my mind. Isn’t it sort of the point to get to know yourself and be YOURSELF?

misgrn, CoolJ, bradfordsleuth and 5 others like this.
  14. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

we don't know if the creek bed she was found on had routes out or not. We do know that the 3 men who found her were put down on a bluff by chopper and easily hiked down to the creek bed where they immediately created their viral moment with a Selfie!

missingm likes this.
  15. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

I get this. I feel like there are so many threads where the person ends up deceased so to have one with a "safely located" or "found" label is a win to me. People come with all kinds of personalities, warts and circumstances. Amanda did an amazing job of keeping herself alive. She may make very different choices when she goes out to enjoy nature in the future. In most of the threads I follow, the ending is not nearly so optimistic.

misgrn, CoolJ, bradfordsleuth and 6 others like this.
  16. kaen

The rescuers had to do some bushwhacking to get to her. The evidence was in the video that was published by Javier and Chris (posted later after the rescue). At this point in time, Amanda had a broken leg and no footwear so nothing would have been easy for her in terms of getting out of that area.

misgrn, CoolJ, bradfordsleuth and 3 others like this.
  17. FactFinder3000

Because there are some folks pushing the false claim that it wouldn't have done her any good.

That "here is Chris holding" was a typo, by the way. I was going to post a pic of Chris holding his flip phone but somebody else provide a link so it became unnecessary. Unfortunately I failed to notice that it didn't get deleted.

Anyway, some folks just don't want to see any criticism whatsoever, it seems. They've said as much. "Just an accident." But at what level of carelessness does an "accident" become inevitable?

DancingMuse and missingm like this.
  18. kaen

I understand this but none of us know what the false claim is---service or no service, carrier that has service, and would it have done any good. Maybe a person from Maui would be willing to go into the area and set the record straight but until then we are all just speculating and using anything we can find to bolster a theory.

I think we would all agree that it is better to have technology rather than not as a "just in case" scenario could become a reality. I am just stunned by some of the back and forth about cell phones, put herself in this position to test her skills, why nap/commune with nature, etc. She did what she did and it appears that it was not nefarious or attention seeking. I am just glad she is found. I am reminded of all of the theories at play that her boyfriend might have done something or her friend was not on the up and up. And, again, I am happy that she had not met with foul play.

misgrn, CoolJ, bradfordsleuth and 4 others like this.
  19. FactFinder3000

I posted a picture of one of the rescuers talking on his cell phone at the rescue site. There can be no debate on this. There was clearly coverage where she was rescued. As another person has pointed out, she wasn't all that far from civilization.

It's just a question of nailing down the facts. The fact is that a cell phone probably would have been very beneficial.

20. Stripehaven

Stripehaven Well-Known Member

I feel as if debating whether or not she should have had a cell phone etc. is akin to saying a crime victim shouldn’t have dressed a certain way or walked down a certain street. People don’t always make the best choices; do we pile on them if they survive their bad choices, but honor them and commiserate with their loved ones if they don’t survive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.