Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

It's probably time for a new phone or battery. 6 hours? Yikes. (Have to admit I am in the same place and I am just waiting for the next holiday sale :oops:)

Yes, roaming would drain the battery faster, but a regular phone would have still had plenty of life to make a difference. I would just power it down until I needed it if it was like my current phone.

Unfortunately I have no idea what path Amanda took. She hasn't been specific on that. It sounds like she took the running path, but I really can't tell for sure. Obviously she parked at the hunting paths, but she easily could have just parked there and walked to the other path. Maybe there is a 3rd option?

misgrn, wary and DancingMuse like this.

2. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Well of course the energy would change as public employees only allowed to search for 72 hours! She probably thought she'd be dead soon. I don't deem that hurtful. And I don't know what sweat lodge means. MOO

Bugurl747 and CoolJ like this.
  3. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Amanda Eller, the Hawaii hiker who spent 17 days lost in the forest, says she was irresponsible

A woman who survived 17 days in a forest in Hawaii after she got lost while hiking says she was irresponsible for going into the woods unprepared.

"It was naïve and irresponsible of me to go out into the woods the way that I did," Amanda Eller, 35, said in a Facebook video Friday.

Her response comes amid criticism for her comments comparing her hike last month to a spiritual journey. She acknowledged her words may have "bypassed" the details of what really happened.

"This was never intentional, and I didn't set out that day on a spiritual journey. I set out that day to go through a simple hike through the woods," she said.

Eller has said she set out on a hike to the Makawao Forest Reserve in Maui to connect with nature and get grounded. She rarely went to that park and hadn't been in months.

4. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

GIRL, STOP APOLOGIZING.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FleurQualia, Stripehaven and Damarna like this.
  5. missingm

She said the energy was negative the 1st 3 days and turned to positive after that. IMO, it was just an ill thought out way to compliment the volunteers and accidentally included a slap at the public SAR teams.

Of course she hurt her leg on day 3 and lost her shoes in a flash flood on the 4th, so I am not so sure how positive she was feeling around then. Like I said, she probably heard (after she was rescued) how the volunteers rallied after the professional search ended and just added the energy shift in to compliment them.

6. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

it's kinda strange. there is a strong contingent of fans of AE who believe she should say and do whatever she wants. Just be "you". But it seems many of these supporters of AE (and I am sooo happy she is safe and recovering) don't "trust her" when it comes to this apology. In other words, Amanda can say and do whatever it is she "feels" except make an apology? that seems strange to me. If Amanda feels she needs to apologize, why don't you trust her completely that this is exactly what she needs to do?

7. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

LadyL, HulaMum, Detectivediva and 7 others like this.
  8. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

Who doesn't trust her when it comes to an apology?

I see it in the opposite way. There are many folks who don't trust anything she says BUT the apology.

9. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

facebook comments under the video. hundreds. 90% said "why are you apologizing"? strange when AE is such an "intuit" feeling person that has such a powerful inner voice. This is surprising to me that there is a lack of trust when it comes to AE feeling she needs to clarify some statements. AE knows best what to do. Let Amanda be Amanda. even if it means saying something you wish she did not have to say.

10. FactFinder3000

This makes no sense whatsoever to me. How are we misunderstanding who Amanda is? Please explain.

angelainwi, missingm and human like this.
  11. human

human Well-Known Member

Amanda is only 35 years old. That is young.

I think she will look back some day on the things she said and be rather embarrassed.

I think she was so thankful to be alive.

I have seen with other young people that they think they have all of the answers. She had such a life changing event for her that it affected her deeply.

I think with time and wisdom, she will process it more humbly

LadyL, MerBeach, Lilibet and 2 others like this.
  12. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Talk to Samsung....it's an S9. But I live in the mountains and roaming during the trek up and down the canyons probably affects it a lot. Plus I use MAPS a lot and that really pulls the power supply down. Amazingly so I've noticed, just from Northern Colorado to downtown Denver and I'm out of power if I'm GPS mapping my destination.

DancingMuse likes this.
  13. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Stripehaven, misgrn and DancingMuse like this.
  14. FleurQualia

FleurQualia Searching Soul

Random thought: I don't assume what others here have been through, but it's not uncommon for life threatening events to be "spiritual".

I have been in a situation where I almost died (was definitely dying, saved by ER nurses). It was terrible. It was traumatizing. It was very spiritual.

Hardships are more often described as spiritual than joyous occasions (they force you change and adapt, give you different perspectives on things like life, than peaceful occasions do).

Stripehaven, misgrn, CoolJ and 3 others like this.
  15. missingm

I will agree that maps draws a lot of battery. I have a Droid Maxx that was very good until recently, but it is several years old and has been used a ton.

DancingMuse likes this.
  16. FactFinder3000

When I'm going out and want to use my phone a lot for an extended time I'll bring an external battery pack. I have a few different sizes including a larger one that was like $25 at Costco and could completely charge the phone many times. It's amazing.

DancingMuse, missingm, misgrn and 2 others like this.
  17. human

human Well-Known Member

I think, though, you did not think you would heal the world, did you?

DancingMuse and LadyL like this.
  18. FleurQualia

Who knows, maybe I will?

I know for a fact my experience has helped others. Maybe that's narcissistic to say.

I don't understand the obssession with the statements she made. So she said some things that rubbed some people the wrong way. Boo hoo. She's not a murderer, child abuser, rapist, et al. Yet her statements are being given the same weight as we do to those who are on WS.

Why the obssession with this poor girl? People are picking at every little thing they can just to criticize and hate on her. It's weird and unhealthy.

Honestly, I think this thread just needs to be shut down. She's safe now, and maybe her story will inspire other hikers on the precautions to take to stay alive if they become lost.

19. human

human Well-Known Member

For me, it was the weird arrogance. But I think it was the PTSD talking.

20. FleurQualia

The adrenaline. The elation at being reuniting with loved ones. Maybe was also drugged at the time. All could contribute to grandiose feelings. The PTSD wouldn't come until after the "high" wore off and reality sets in.

Or maybe she is just arrogant. Which brings me back to my point: who cares if she is? Why the obssession with "punishing" her for it? A lot of people are arrogant.

The only important piece to this story is that she was found alive. The end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.