Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

CoolJ, cass523, human and 5 others like this.
  2. sbunny

sbunny Member

Is there something in Settings that enables you to turn GPS off for every app? It seems like most apps use location (FB, Insta, Weather...even News). Seems tedious to go through every app and turn location off just to relax on a day off from work. I have a few apps that have asked me if it can use location, and I answered "only when using app". Can't remember the last time I tinkered with location settings. Does anyone else?

cass523, KiKiD72, human and 3 others like this.
  3. wary

wary Well-Known Member

I’d bet that it’s two ways of saying the same thing.

Privacy settings ON
    =
    Tracking OFF

CoolJ, cass523, sassyblue and 9 others like this.
  4. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

cass523, human, DancingMuse and 4 others like this.
  5. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

The apps use the location setting on the phone. Many will turn it on or prompt you if it needs it.

cass523, KiKiD72, human and 3 others like this.
  6. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

Very good report. Amanda's father and brother run a GPS tracking company. Apparently her brother and the organizer Chris set up the search mapping system they are using.

Alice253, cass523, sassyblue and 12 others like this.
  7. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

So on iPhone you go to “privacy” and it has option to turn off or on location services. I never really thought about going that far (turning all of them off) before. She either did that or turned phone off or ran out of battery.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    cass523, KiKiD72, human and 5 others like this.
  8. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Regarding her phone found in her car - wonder if it was charged and on? Or off and the battery dead? I don't expect this info to be released but I'm curious.

If she was visiting clients in their home, I would assume you would run your GPS for directions. This was turned off.

Interesting about the last ping being at her home (they would have the timestamp). It does sound like it pinged at her home BEFORE she left for the market and post office. (IMO)

9. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Yes. Saying privacy settings are ON equals tracking is OFF.

10. windrower

windrower Well-Known Member

I don’t think we know if Amanda herself left her car at the trailhead? I’m trying not to assume anything in this case. Without GPS or video evidence, who can say what happened after the post office?

Also, I wonder if the valuables left in the car in plain sight was by someone other than Amanda, and he or she was hoping the car would be broken into.

There just aren’t a lot of absolutes, and therefore, quite a few questions. At least, for me.

IMO

I don’t think so, but not certain. I have a Google account, and the Gmail app on my phone, but it is only active when I open the app. I have my phone set to check my email only when I use the app, which I close after checking my email. Background app refresh is off.

I also have location settings off, and only use location services when I use an app that needs it—location will be activated while I use an app.

11. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

It’s possible, especially if her dad and brother own a gps tracking company, that she did not want to leave her cellphone footprint activity open. Perhaps she intentionally set & left her phone to avoid being located.

cass523, sassyblue, KiKiD72 and 11 others like this.
  12. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

Since we can only assume she had an iPhone, can’t it still be pinged even if powered off or dead battery?
    I’m trying to remember back to Charli Scott’s case and how they found her phone and information?
    I’m sure Kimberly, Amanda’s dad and brother are experts at these things.
    It almost sounds like a court order need to be placed for phone records! JMO

13. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

She bought an energy bar and a few boxes of dry tea acc. To Find amanda fb page.

Sunny123, GarAndTeed, gitana1 and 2 others like this.
  14. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

There were email address for family members on the phone. We've known that from the beginning. So the idea that there was nothing on the phone is incorrect. Thin
    Yeah, forgot that it's pretty common these days to have unlimited domestic long distance included. It's still possible, though. Or perhaps she didn't like talking on her cell. I know I prefer a proper handset.

sassyblue, GarAndTeed, human and 4 others like this.
  15. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I thought of. Why would you turn your phone off before driving to your hike? Wouldn't you want to check your messages just before you go hiking? Most people would.

16. Momof4RN

There has been another phone update to FB page. Clarification given about phone numbers.

17. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen this information here: Were the two boxes of dry tea that Amanda purchased at the store found in her car? TIA

18. Momof4RN

No they were mailed to her mother for mother’s day.

19. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Well-Known Member

BBM. I don't think we know that yet. Maybe she did stop home after she left market and post office, but before arriving at Makawao?

Sunny123, gitana1, missingm and 2 others like this.
  20. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Chelsea King is why I started running with pepper spray. She was the best friend of a close family friend. I didn’t know her, but I still think of her every single time I go on a run, and I have changed many habits and locations and have become way more careful and aware. My girls who were little at the time know about her and about what happened. I feel we’re all more careful now. I would never go into the woods or a forest alone. But that’s now—I wasn’t always so careful. What happened to Chelsea was absolutely devastating to those girls in her friend group and their parents.

sassyblue, GarAndTeed, human and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.