Found Alive HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019 #2

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 On Time Out

Thank you. We *finally* have some quotable text:

"To clear up rumors: The phone was not wiped clean. Her address book #s were not wiped. What caused this confusion is that the few "last name Eller's" the police pulled up in her cell phone (so family could be contacted) did not have a phone number, only email."

source: Findamanda

To clarify:
    It was police that went through her contacts, searched on the word 'eller' and none of the Ellers had a phone number, only email. (I've been dying to say this, but didn't have a proper source.)

Gone Girl, KiKiD72, Maljako and 15 others like this.
  2. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

so she only emailed her mum, never called her?

CoolJ, human, Mistree and 1 other person like this.
  3. thomasn101

thomasn101 Member

Find Amanda

Is this Map above still being updated regularly? I have a Feeling they need to search way more to the right of that trail. I know its an enormous process and THEY most likely will/are.
    I have Two ideas that could of happened (just thoughts not saying ANYTHING for sure)

These are ruling out that foul play is involved (Not saying it was, but these are two scenarios other than that)

THESE mean nothing factual, just something I thought about

1) If for some crazy reason she wanted to do self harm, it seems she could of made it SO FAR in a straight line walking (assume she had water)
    I mean she could literally have gone so far. I believe the orange square is two miles wide, I know the Terrain is probably incredible difficult, but it seems she could make it VERY far especially how fit she is. So far that the current search group, according to that site may not have even come close at all, Possible MILES from.

2) My second possible idea is health related (I Know she is healthy). She could of been walking the loop or running like normal and due to it being record breaking temperatures maybe have a heat stroke, or possible fell and hit her heard, or even have an enormous panic attack. If she hit her head, or possible heat stroke, or even the panic attack it could have made her VERY dizzy and confused/scared. If any of these things happened when she was at the furthers part of the trail from her car, for some odd reason she might think it would be quicker to go Straight through the Forrest back towards her parked car (maybe think it is a bit faster). Which would not be a good decision, but if she was SUPER confused and dizzy she could of POSSIBLY tried this, and instead of walking towards the car parking lot, she indeed walks the opposite way. Which in her mind
    she would keep going and going and going thinking her car has to be VERY close.

I was just brainstorming here, I HOPE AND PRAY she is found.

Sunny123, human, gitana1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

UPDATE: After a great deal of forensic research (from the beginning), no useful info from phone (last use/ping was at home, and all privacy settings were on). So disappointing.

Car’s black box still being analyzed, nearly complete.

There are a number of aps that can track you if you are concerned about safety - Find My Friends, Life 360, and Google maps has a section called Timeline which can track your location even when you are not using the map. To turn yours on open Google maps, click the three bars in the upper left, and go to timeline. Inside timeline you can choose whether or not you want your phone to be tracked.

Cell phone pings are only picked up if phone is used or receives and Amanda's had not done so after she had last been spotted on camera.

To clear up rumors: The phone was not wiped clean. Her address book #s were not wiped. What caused this confusion is that the few "last name Eller's" the police pulled up in her cell phone (so family could be contacted) did not have a phone number, only email.

** PLEASE TALK TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW IN MAKAWAO & HAIKU, ESPECIALLY ON ACCESS ROADS. ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE A SECURITY CAMERA THAT FACES THE STREET. TODAY IS DAY 16. IF THEIR CAMERA HAS NOT LOOPED/ERASED, PLEASE URGE THEM TO SAVE 5AM-8PM ON WED MAY 8 ASAP (NOW) & THEN CALL POLICE AFTER DOING SO. EVEN IF WE ESTABLISH A SOLID LOCATION TIMELINE WITH THE CAR, WE WANT FOOTAGE TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE WAS IN IT, OR IF ANYONE WAS SEEN COMING & GOING IN A SEPARATE CAR. THE #1 THING YOU CAN DO FOR THIS SEARCH RIGHT NOW IS TO HELP US LOCATE FOOTAGE BY REPOSTING THIS ONLINE, CALLING THOSE YOU KNOW, CHECKING YOUR WORKPLACE FOR CAMERAS, AND SO ON. ***

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/23/day-15-mpd-discloses-forensics-report-on-amanda-ellers-phone/#

BBM
    So now it says it did ping after she was seen on camera?

human, gitana1, otto and 6 others like this.
  5. slashkiss

slashkiss Well-Known Member

/shrug ... maybe her mother is not in her phone as her full name? Half of my contacts have just first names or nicknames. Granted I also have contacts like - Husband, Mom & Dad Home, Grandma, My Sancho, etc.

Alice253, KiKiD72, human and 8 others like this.
  6. FactFinder3000

Early on we were told she wanted to phone her mother for mother's day, but her mother was on holidays and unreachable. So there's that. I think it's safe to assume she did talk to her mother on the phone.

This whole thing is just very unfortunate. So much discussion and confusion about nothing. If you search my last name on my phone you won't find any numbers either. Because my parents are listed as 'parents.' My siblings have only the first name.

So who know why the numbers didn't come up. Such a strange thing to get so much attention.

FlamingoLady, human, happyday and 3 others like this.
  7. SaintGirl

SaintGirl Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone said her phone was empty or wiped. I THINK something was put on social media that has been taken out of context and ran with. If anyone has seen otherwise please post because I haven’t seen anything in MSM that states otherwise.

DancingMuse likes this.
  8. FactFinder3000

I just had a look at my phone and almost everybody is first name only. Interestingly, it seems caller ID doesn't fill it in for you. It's possible the contacts on Amanda's phone that were email only were created from emails, which is why they had the last name, and her contacts with the phone numbers had different labels, like 'Parents'.

Just because her parents' number didn't come up using a search for 'Eller' doesn't mean it wasn't on there.

Secrett, KatzEye, Maljako and 7 others like this.
  9. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Someone posted that in the store video it can be seen that she’s holding something black (phone?) and keys when at the counter at the store. My eyesight isn’t good enough to see that without using a magnifying glass or blowing it up on my computer (I mostly use my phone) ... did anyone else see that?

If so, a person bringing a phone into the store, but leaving it at a trail head doesn’t seem very consistent. And if the phone last pinged at her home and was indeed turned off, why bring it in? If so, a person bringing a phone into the store, but leaving it at a trail head doesn’t see consistent, IMO

KiKiD72, human, gitana1 and 7 others like this.
  10. FactFinder3000

Well, apparently it is not her phone that she is looking at in the store. It's tea.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    otto, DancingMuse and happyday like this.
  11. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but if you Don’t have time to read all the threads but read some of the press releases only, a lot of these questions were answered and have already been in this forum over and over again. Thanks

12. Traymar

Traymar Well-Known Member

Re using or accessing her phone in the video/still at the market, is it possible she was just checking the time? Thinking about this led me to wonder whether she was wearing or typically wore a watch when running. Maybe it's different on the islands, but I can't say I know one single runner who doesn’t wear a watch of some sort (or carries a phone if not, in order to track time and possibly distance).

Also, regarding her key, it's been very interesting to me to hear how different runners and hikers manage carrying (or not) a key when on a run or hiking. Personally I would never hide my key outside my car, but I have seen many a person retrieve a key from beneath their car somewhere. I am a runner, and if I have to carry a key I always thread it onto one of my shoelaces, up far enough so that it sort of sits on top of my foot. It's sometimes a little annoying, but is my preference. I've even run a marathon with my car key on my shoelace.

Also, like others, I don't carry water on a run unless it's going to be very long (10 miles +).

All MOO...

windrower, human, gitana1 and 4 others like this.
  13. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Was there a source for this or were you able to see clearly? I honestly can’t tell what she is holding or looking at but I can tell neither wrist has a watch.

KiKiD72, human, gitana1 and 6 others like this.
  14. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

15. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

That is a good point, if it was intentionally cleared of information, and set to no tracking etc. . Someone with their own business would have to want it that way if they intentionally set it that way. Most people with their own businesses wouldn’t want to miss calls/emails from clients. JMO

16. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

The only thing is, if you didn’t want to be found, why would you even take the phone to the next location if you turned it off at your house? Just thinking out loud

17. FactFinder3000

Here's another shot of the box-of-tea-that-looks-like-a-phone. The way she's holding it and the aspect ratio are wrong for it to be a phone. My apologies for assuming it was a phone. I should have said it looks like a phone, rather than it is a phone. My bad.

Attached Files:

18. FactFinder3000

Another angle clearly showing it is box (we are told she bought tea). The face of this box must just have white borders top and bottom with a black-ish field between.

These captures are from this video:

Attached Files:

Traymar, human, otto and 2 others like this.
  19. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Charli Scott had an app on her phone called Life360. You can invite friends and family members to be on the app with you, and see where they are at the current time, Or the last time their location was. After that came out In her case, I added that app to my phone and put my adult son on it. It shows you a history of where the person has been as well. If I ever go missing, I want my family to know exactly where I went. I would imagine if someone changed their mind on that they would delete the app and try to wipe all the previous information .

human, gitana1, angelainwi and 2 others like this.
  20. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I do it because I don't need certain apps to track me and to save power. All those location services suck power.

But if I want maps or Facebook to know where I am I turn it on for those.

windrower, Traymar, human and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.