HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

1. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

Maui physical therapist Amanda Eller, 35, was last seen at 7:30 AM on May 8, 2019. Her vehicle was found at a forest trailhead near the town of Makawao the next day. Apparently she enjoyed running on that trail. So far, search parties and drones have not located her.

I live on Maui, but I am in West Maui, so I have not participated in any searching. Everyone's hope against hope is that she will be located and has not met with any foul play.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/10/search-for-missing-maui-woman-at-makawao-forest/

The search continues for a missing Maui woman; friends ask, 'how could this happen?'

[​IMG]

2. Mauig’ma

Mauig’ma Well-Known Member

I too live on Maui. Moved from Kula down to Wailea recently. I’ll keep my eyes pealed. Prayers going out to her & her family.

3. MauiJen

MauiJen Well-Known Member

Aloha. I know Amanda and am very concerned about her. I don’t know her well, and don’t know much about her personal life, but I worked with her for a few years. I’m hoping she is found soon. Maybe someone here can help. This community was so supportive during the Charli Scott case (Maui is a small, close-knit island, and I was also acquainted with Charli, though not nearly as well as I know Amanda. I don’t like how similar these early days feel, and I’m trying to stay positive).

If there are any questions about the area, I can help provide more info to those not local.

Friends have set up a Facebook page where they will be posting the latest search updates and other information. I’m not expecting much info to come out of MPD, unfortunately.

Findamanda

4. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

I’m so worried about Amanda. I really hope that she has a minor injury and is just waiting for help. Is there much crime in these forests? Such a beautiful place.

ETA I traveled to Maui quite a few times as a kid, and I have such fond memories. Of course it’s a beautiful paradise, but also the people were so nice and friendly.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    borndem, margarita25, otto and 14 others like this.
  5. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

I’ve traveled to Maui, endless beauty. I hope she just has minor injury, able to drink water somehow. I’m sure she’s praying to be found. Must be a very scary situation.

otto, IHAVENOCLUE, jash and 8 others like this.
  6. Loio

Loio Active Member

Here we go again. Maui’s back in the news for a missing woman. Boyfriend is actively searching for her and she may actually be disabled somewhere in the forest. Hard to say. Her friends are adamant about clearing the boyfriend and witnesses say they saw her on the trail.

borndem, La Louve, Dre and 22 others like this.
  7. Jackielee09

It seems like an accident. Hope found soon.

borndem, IHAVENOCLUE, jash and 10 others like this.
  8. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

borndem, La Louve, otto and 20 others like this.
  9. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed people doing this more often because of the keypads on the doors. You can leave your keys, and just punch in your code on the pad to unlock the door. I wonder if it’s that kind of car? That would at least make it less nefarious. jmo

10. MauiJen

She actually hid her key under her front tire. Probably in the dirt. This is a common practice here, especially among surfers who don’t want to risk losing their keys. If she did go running and didn’t have a pocket in her shorts, I can totally see this. I do this a lot myself when I go hiking - hide my key somewhere near my car.

abr, Lmustang89, LadyL and 30 others like this.
  11. MauiJen

There is not much crime in these forests at all. In fact, we don’t have much violent crime here. We do have the expected amount of petty crime (theft, break-ins, drugs, etc), but the majority of violent crime we do have is domestic. We have a lot of homelessness and mental health problems without adequate resources, but this is a known factor in specific areas, and not in this forest area. The forest has a TON of tiny side trails - it is frequently used by pig hunters, it can get very dense, there are gulches, boulders, lava tubes (small caves) in the nearby area. In some places the forest is conifers and eucalyptus, and in some areas it’s more like rainforest. The area typically gets a good amount of rain and can be very muddy and slippery in places.

crhedBngr, borndem, amymarie and 28 others like this.
  12. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

I think searchers need to get down into the gulches & valley bottoms around there (carefully & responsibly of course). And I hope people are also calling out, yelling her name. The whole wilderness area surrounding the trail needs to be scoured completely -- and soon. With every passing day, the chance of her being alive diminishes. I really hope she is found soon -- (((alive))).

Dre, otto, IHAVENOCLUE and 13 others like this.
  13. MauiJen

Friends desperate to find woman who went missing during hike on Maui

ETA: I see this has already been shared. Tried to delete this post, but can’t figure out how to do that! Oh well.

We’re all very happy for National News to get involved this early. So many tourists come and go so frequently on this island, and don’t necessarily pay attention to local news. There’s a chance tourists were hiking in the area Wednesday and May have seen something or even seen her.

Dre, Cortne, HayLouise and 12 others like this.
  14. MauiJen

Yes! There have been several repellers involved each day in the search, so I think this means they are at least searching down the cliff sides and into ravines.

Cortne, IHAVENOCLUE, jash and 12 others like this.
  15. Jackielee09

You can delete your post but you have to write something. And can only edit within certain amount of time.

16. Shelby1

Shelby1 Cancer Sucks

Bumping for Amanda.

17. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Amanda Eller: Yoga instructor who went out for a hike in Maui is missing - CNN
    "A multi-agency search effort is underway in the search for Eller at Makawao Forest Reserve, and there is a $10,000 reward for information leading to her whereabouts. Video posted to a Facebook page set up to find her shows a group of searchers, including dogs, at the site where her car was found.
    "Amanda's really well loved in the yoga community and there are people coming from all over the island coming in and hiking and trying to find her," said Haynes.
    On her personal website, Eller said she is a physical therapist who has made Maui her home.
    "Living on this island has also inspired extraordinary changes, including the completion my yoga teacher training," she wrote. "I have found yoga asana to be one of the most powerful injury prevention and rehabilitation practices, and I'm thrilled to now offer private sessions to my clients."
    She also wrote that when not treating patients or teaching yoga, she is "exploring the beautiful outdoors while scuba diving, stand up paddle boarding and hiking."

Jaanniss, otto, HayLouise and 14 others like this.
  18. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

Lmustang89, otto, Tbone144 and 30 others like this.
  19. MauiJen

I’m not sure how much personal knowledge we are supposed to share here? (I know Websleuths likes for us to post links to information, so please let me know if I’m crossing any boundaries here). I can confirm Amanda is a licensed Physical Therapist (I am also a PT here on Maui). I worked with her for a few years in a local clinic. She is now in private practice and I know takes some private pay (cash) patients. If there is suspicion of foul play, I hope authorities are also looking closely at her current and recent patients, and I hope there are good records of any cash paying patients. I’m honestly not sure about access to those records and how patient privacy comes into play - I’m assuming a search warrant would be needed. Nothing seems to be happening with MPD, and sadly I don’t have a lot of faith in their ability to handle these types of cases. They scaled back the search after yesterday and I don’t think are doing any kind of official search today (it seems to be all volunteers now).

Her family arrives on island today and there is a press conference scheduled tonight at an undisclosed location. As of now, the boyfriend is not going to be involved in the press conference.

Thank you everyone who is spreading the word and keeping Amanda in your thoughts.

20. Jackielee09

Screams accident. There is a way for you to be verified insider. There is a link. If you can post link of news conference that would be great.