HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MFH

MFH Well-Known Member

What I find odd about the PO appt is that if she was so organized as to schedule that, you would think she would have scheduled a run or hike in her calendar as well. It seems odd that her day off only had that one appt on the schedule, as far as we know.

All IMOO

*modsnip*

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  2. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

And she was supposed to do something with a friend who cancelled the night before (IIRC). Why was that not still on her calendar? Was she going to bring the friend along to the PO? I would like to know when the last verified sighting of Amanda was by a person other than her SO and his employer.

BTW- I hiked that loop trail with my 8 and 9 year old daughters a few years back. I don't recall it being too treacherous but we stayed on the trails.

3. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

She's lived there a few years so she must know the area. You would think by 2 a.m., he would have called the police. Bars are closed I think and yes he should have been frantic.

4. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I believe people would be stunned by how many hikers (especially) go out to adventure unprepared. Just ask some SAR folks who they are rescuing / recovering.

Some of it is being straight up clueless as to what to pack, some like to pack light and purposely leave important items behind, some have a over confidence (it won't happen to me, it's JUST a day hike), etc. Then, you just have accidents that happen and would not have mattered what you did or did not do to prepare.

Here's two examples of a hiker and runner that were in the news for being missing. Both had accidents where they fell. Many suspected foul play and went wild with theories. One's body was not recovered until almost a year later (recently actually), the other weeks later. It's incredibly sad.

Annie Schmidt
    Jerika Binks

5. CA*Sunflower

CA*Sunflower Member

My husband’s family is on Maui and we have hiked there with a baby and 4 year old!

*modsnip*

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  6. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Do some people really believe that someone other than Amanda Eller marked her calendar for a PO run, put a Mothers Day gift box together and forged a letter to her family, then drove to the PO in her car and mailed it?

7. Curiousobserver

Devil's advocate: it could have been sitting on the counter ready to go.

If the SO wasn't so weird and hadn't waited such and unreasonably long time I would be all on board the accident train. I just hope they look at him very very carefully and don't just take his statements as fact.

8. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

9. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

DITTO this post!!!

10. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

Sometimes some people are odd to the masses but apparently Amanda liked his quirky behavior. He might have made life interesting and fun. IDK. I’m still thinking accident though I still stand by my feelings that waiting till next day to report missing is just bizarre. BUT we don’t know the dynamics in relationship. Like come home IF you want. Can’t wait for answers.

jash, Traymar, Quiet Time and 6 others like this.
  11. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Good point about it already being prepared and ready to go. I do understand your first sentence, second paragraph. I made a comment that was deleted several pages back.

This is day 7, that does not make me hopeful and I hate saying that.

jash, Traymar, realanastasia and 8 others like this.
  12. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

She was seen at the counter dropping off the package by PO workers, according to posts on Findamamda Missing Page. So no faking that. IMO

13. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

After giving this more thought, I wonder if the bf even owns a phone or a car...or he may not drive, therefore making it hard to contact police or Amanda.

14. MuddyTires

MuddyTires Well-Known Member

Ok, but has that been confirmed and reported?

For the record, I don't necessarily think it wasn't her at the PO. But I'm not going to rely on double or triple (or more) hearsay to rule something out.

AmandaSkis, jash, Traymar and 7 others like this.
  15. Curiousobserver

That would be huge if Maui PD confirms this is true- I'll take back all the shade I am giving the SO.

16. Xxxx83

Xxxx83 Well-Known Member

I have read a statement from Amanda's SO that states they had never spent a night away from each other. If that statement is correct, I think we know something about their relationship dynamic.

17. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I thought it was the admin of page who posted it. She was responding to a comment from another poster, but since it was Sarah, I took it as fact, and since it was the admin is why I mentioned it. Let me go back and check, see if I can find it again.

In the meantime, there is this about it being scanned at the counter. I would hope that personnel would dispute if it was not here.
    Yoga Instructor Missing in Hawaii Sent 'Lovely' Mother's Day Package on Day She Disappeared

The post continued: “The package had a print at home label but it was dropped to the Haiku post office, and scanned at the receiving counter at 10:19 AM. This changes our timelines.”

ETA I also found the comment from SH, page admin and self-appointed/family agreed upon coordinator of search stating Amanda was seen leaving the building. Unable to post it here as not screen shots and copy/paste didn't work. It's under the post about the Mother's Day Package being sent, FYI.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  18. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to think of non nefarious reasons to wait until the next day to report her missing. There definitely are some. Could be that’s just how they roll in their relationship. His saying they never spent a night apart kinda makes that unlikely though. Maybe that’s just how HE rolls—maybe he was somewhat worried but it took longer for him to really freak out. Or perhaps they could have argued and he when she didn’t come home he thought she was mad and he was mad so just went to bed. Then in morning realized, oh wait this is something else. Or could be he takes sleeping pills or some other drug/drink and this skewed the timing/being able to call police. Could be a combination of a couple of these? MOO

19. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Seen leaving PO

Md. woman missing in Hawaii sent package on day she disappeared | WTOP

The package, timestamped 10:19 a.m., is providing new clues.

Eller is now believed to have arrived at the trail sometime between 10:40 a.m. and 5 p.m. Haynes says security footage from a nearby mall also shows Eller leaving the post office minutes after dropping off the package.

20. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

Just not throwing a quirky guy under bus because he’s quirky.

HaikuMommy, cass523, songbrd and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.