HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

1. Traymar

Traymar Well-Known Member

Completely agree! Curious how they "got ahold of" her work calendar unless it's like you said, a Google or similar multi-calendar thing. In which case you'd think they would have already had that since they had her devices.

Anyway, maybe there is nothing nefarious afoot, but things are rather curious. All MOO.

2. Peachykeen

Peachykeen Active Member

They also have her cell phone and her laptop... Not sure how kosher that is, if this turns into being a crime of some sort, that evidence will now be useless. IMO

3. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Can somebody local please tell us where "hog ridge" is? That's where they were reportedly searching today, but I can find no information on where, precisely, this is.

4. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Could be she has a notebook type calendar. My hubby has clients (psychologist) and he writes appts down in an actual ledger.

5. Traymar

Yeah, that actually crossed my mind, and I think it's very possible.

happyday and zecats like this.
  6. Traymar

Just wanted to clarify something about the bf: I didn't watch or listen to the video(s) and don't have any opinion on his alleged quirkiness or lack thereof. I don't care anything about his personality, to be honest. It concerns me that he said he thought something was wrong at "that moment" that she didn't come home, and yet he didn't call the police and didn't go looking for her.

If they never spent a night apart, then not coming home by bedtime at least would be out of character and cause for concern. I find that odd. It doesn't mean he has done anything wrong, but I'm uncomfortable enough about it that I need a little more info before I will feel he is utterly above suspicion.

The self-appointed spokesperson is another odd aspect of this case, but I have to say that she seems to be driving this case with an energy and conviction not typical of someone who had something to hide. Nevertheless, the issue with the devices could potentially compromise the investigation - something I feel sure she wouldn't want to do - if it turns out that there was foul play after all.

Best case scenario, she is injured and living on berries and rainwater... fingers crossed.

Btw, re flip flops, I'm in the Deep South US, on the Gulf Coast, and we too "live in" flip flops. My northern friends think it's strange and that they aren't proper shoes, but we know they're wrong, haha.

All MOO, as always.

7. curiousLR

curiousLR Member

I just keep going back and forth. The bf is definitely odd but not out of the norm for that area. He lacks the self awareness that many hippy types have in terms of "can you just act normal for a minute" and not come off so weird to people? I say this as a friend and family member to many hippies I don't think he would really be capable of pulling this all off. The friend who is leading this is definitely strange and really inserted herself, but, she is bringing tons of energy and giving all her time, would she really do that if she was involved? I know guilty parties will insert themselves but she appears to be going above and beyond.
    I think now she either suffered a fall and is deceased or maybe a stranger harmed her. Leaning more towards it being am accident. I don't see a happy ending though, sad to say that. Moo of course

8. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

I'm still hopeful that she is out there surviving, but injured and not capable of getting out.
    Some people can surprise you.
    I can't remember her name but there was a lady in her sixties who became lost on a hike in the mountains, I believe there was even snow, though certainly not mid winter. She survived some three weeks before she was found. She was not injured though, but still.
    There is water, and the temperature is not extreme in that Makawao area.
    I sincerely hope that Amanda will be one of the lucky ones.

9. Mizzamzz

Mizzamzz Member

There are quite a lot of people on social media questioning why Sarah Haynes is heading the community side (& Facebook page) of this case, and it pays to note that she herself has been on the family side of a missing person’s case 30 years ago when her brother was missing in Colorado.

MOO, having personally known a family here in Australia of a friend who was missing for 3yrs, they are now involved with supporting other families of missing persons whenever possible because they know exactly what it’s like in the world of the unknown when a loved one is missing.

Sarah herself said that she and Kimberlyn Scott, mother of Charli Scott who went missing on Maui in 2014 who is also assisting in this search, learnt from a lot of mistakes during their family’s investigations and therefore they have some great knowledge that can be shared to assist in this particular investigation.

Quick mention of Sarah’s missing brother here:

I’m guessing Sarah is “quite close with” Ben Konkol because he works on her property.
    I’m unsure whether this means she would have been a person questioned initially to confirm his whereabouts on May 8, considering he was said to be at work (what time he left work, we have no idea), though he may just work for a company that is working on her property.

Quick mention of Ben working on Sarah’s property here:

10. MauiCare

MauiCare Active Member

Started a timeline...

All times are in Hawaii Standard time (HST) in May 2019.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

7:30 AM - Ben, Amanda’s boyfriend, says he last saw Amanda at 7:30 AM at the home they share, and then his friend picked him up for work. Ben said Amanda had the day off; had no specific plans; and was meditating when he left.
    (Source: Ben during the Find Amanda Press Conference, posted on official Find Amanda Facebook page as Facebook live video on evening of Sunday, May 13th.
    )

10:11 AM - Video footage of Amanda in the Haiku Market buying dry tea and energy bar.
    (Source: Findamanda )

10:21 AM - Video footage of Amanda’s car leaving Haiku Post Office.

About 12 PM, Noon - Employee of Maui Department of Fire and Public Safety noted Amanda’s white RAV4 parked in the parking lot of the Makawao Forest Reserve.
    (Source: Sarah Haynes during the Find Amanda Press Conference, posted on official Find Amanda Facebook page as Facebook live video on evening of Sunday, May 13th.

About 5PM: - Passersby take photo that shows Amanda’s RAV4 still parked in the lot.

6:52 PM - Sunset time on Maui on Wednesday, May 8, 2019.
    (Source: Sunrise and sunset times in Maui )

Thursday, May 9th, 2019

Time unknown: Ben says he called the cops in the morning to report Amanda as missing.
    (Source: Ben during the Find Amanda Press Conference, posted on official Find Amanda Facebook page as Facebook live video on evening of Sunday, May 13th.

5:50 AM - Sunrise time on Maui on Thursday, May 9th, 2019.
    (Source: Sunrise and sunset times in Maui )

9:50 AM - Amanda’s white Toyota RAV4 was found by police in the parking lot of the Makawao Forest Reserve.
    (Source: https://mauinow.com/2019/05/10/search-for-missing-maui-woman-at-makawao-forest/ )

Friday, May 10th, 2019

Time unknown: Official Find Amanda Facebook page is created.
    (Source: Facebook transparency)

Time unknown: Amanda’s mother, father, and sister, while traveling in the Caribbean, receive notification that Amanda is missing.
    (Source: Missing Yoga Teacher’s Boyfriend ‘Polygraphed’ By Police )

Saturday, May 11th, 2019

Sunday, May 12th, 2019

Time unknonwn - Amanda’s mother, father, and sister arrive on Maui.

11:40 AM: Maui County Department of Fire and Public Safety having reached 72hr limit, suspend their participation in search.
    (Source: Maui County rescuers suspend search for missing Maui hiker )

7:00 PM: Find Amanda Press Conference held and posted on official Find Amanda Facebook page as Facebook live video.
    Findamanda

Monday, May 13th, 2019

*modsnip*
    (Source: https://mauinow.com/2019/05/13/six-days-missing-where-could-amanda-eller-be/ )

Tuesday, May 14th, 2019

Time Unknown: 9-1-1 call was received from an area above the Makawao Forest Reserve about possible additional information relating to the investigation into the missing person case involving 35-year-old Amanda Eller.
    Maui Police Lt. Gregg Okamoto said police and fire personnel responded with the Fire Department sending out a helicopter and rescue crew to search by air and foot.
    Rescue crews made it up almost two miles above the Kahakapao Trail before turning around due to the loss of daylight. The search resumed today at first light. In addition, the Police Department brought in additional search dogs from Oʻahu to assist.
    (Source: https://mauinow.com/2019/05/15/miss...pond-to-9-1-1-call-from-above-makawao-forest/ )

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  11. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

Great job on the timeline.

I'm now worried that the reason for the 911 call yesterday was because a searcher smelled a strong scent of decaying flesh.... :-(

AzPistonsGirl, cass523, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  12. MauiCare

MauiCare Active Member

Sigh. The island has PTSD from Capobianco.
    Most likely reason for 9-1-1 call and that response would be hearing someone yelling for help.

Also, please remember family and friends could be reading here!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    cass523, JBmom, CalmSeas and 7 others like this.
  13. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

Uh, noooo. If they heard cries for help, they would not have stopped for the night.

EDIT: Although if a person thought they heard cries, but PD & search crews were not able to hear it themselves after calling out, then I guess it's conceivable they would close down the search for the evening as usual.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    tiffran and jash like this.
  14. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

@Mizzamzz thank you for sharing the info of the spokesperson brother going missing. Like I said pages back, she seems like a asset to the search. Not everyone is comfortable talking to the media nonstop at putting themselves out there. She is and doesn’t appear like Amanda’s family has any issues with that.

I don’t understand why she’s being drug through the mud by some. Despite that, looks like she’s carrying on and ignoring the noise. Good for her.

15. Mizzamzz

Mizzamzz Member

@K9Enzo you’re welcome and you’re right. She’s doing a great job, regardless of all the accusations that are getting thrown around.

I think we’ll find that her help, knowledge and support ends up being priceless once they finally find Amanda.

16. Rhenish

Rhenish Well-Known Member

Hmmm...several possibilities regarding Amanda's disappearance. It certainly makes sense, since her car was found at a hiking location, that it is very possible that she has been injured/incapacitated while out on a jog/hike and simply has not been found yet, or perhaps she met with foul play. But.....I just cannot at all get over the fact that the boyfriend did not alert authorities the moment he knew "something just wasn't right" when she did not return home the evening she apparently "disappeared". I would imagine once he became so very concerned he would have been calling or texting Amanda incessantly to try and reach her. I wonder what the boyfriend's phone may reveal with regard to calls/texts to Amanda that first evening. I cannot get past the fact that he did not report her missing the moment he knew something was wrong hours before he finally did call.

17. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I am a 40 year “Haole” resident of Maui, been here 2/3 of my life. I have 2
    Grown “Haole” children, one that came as a baby and the other born here, and I respectfully disagree with you. I still get treated differently at times, and occasionally still get called a “f’ing Haole”, and have never worked in a job that would be “perceived as harmful” or was a hippie, as you mentioned ( and even if I had it would never be an excuse to be treated badly). My son works for MPD, we were just chatting about how “haoles” get treated on the force the other day. He said that even though he gets along with everyone, it certainly could be a factor for him in any promotions. He said one of his “Haole” friends on the force has been passed over many times even though he is highly qualified. It’s interesting... even though my son’s wife was born in another country, because she and his kids look “local” they are never treated this way. And my son has dark features and looks Portuguese, but deep down he will always be a “Haole”.

A few years ago I was at a concert in Kula where a local comedian, Bulai’ia sang a very insulting song about “Haoles go home” to a large crowd of people, and the crowd and the performer on stage with him, John Cruz, laughed and cheered. Willie K did the same thing on stage at Maui tropical plantation a few years back. I could give you many more examples of how haoles are still treated On Maui.

Racism and hatred of Haole’s is unfortunately still alive and well.

As for crime on Maui, I agree with the poster about crimes not being reported. In a tourist area like this, there is a strong attempt to squash any information about crimes because that would be detrimental to the industry. I lived on crater Road for many years, and can’t tell you how many accidents the downhill bike companies had. There were sirens every single day. Most were never reported unless they were fatal. Many homeless people have just “disappeared”.

There is crime, and unfortunately it seems to be increasing all the time, and is under reported. It’s not just a result of racial tensions obviously, certainly drugs is a big part of it as well.

18. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

That’s interesting, I have not heard that anywhere else. And interesting too that Sarah would be the spokesperson, and doesn’t even know Amanda well. I also noticed in a quote from an article today that A boyfriend used a double negative, would love to have a speech person analyze that

k8ling0087 likes this.
  19. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Even though I’ve lived on Maui for 40 years, I’ve only hiked in that area once. My daughter however has gone there many times and used to hike there alone. She lives right down the road. She would do the same thing .... she would leave her phone in the car locked, and her keys either under or on one of her tires. It’s not that unusual for people to do that, IMO. I’ve done it too and areas that I feel comfortable. She realizes now and has for a while that it is not safe to go hiking anywhere on this island alone.

I can not say for certainty, but I would bet cell phone reception is not very good in that area. There are much more civilized areas of the island where there are pockets of “dead zone” for cell reception, including a stretch of Haleakala Highway, which is a major
    Road.

20. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

He gives a bit of insite into this here.
    Missing hiker's boyfriend believes she's still in dense forest

StarrChance, jash, cass523 and 3 others like this.