HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

From the Maui Police press conference, Thursday, May 16, 2019:

“7:21 AM Benjamin Konkul reported her missing.”

So if you think he should have called police the minute she wasn’t home in time for dinner, then at most it took him 12 hours to report her missing. But I think it’s more like when she wasn’t home in time to go to sleep as usual so, more like 9 hours, overnight, before he called at 7:21 AM.

A simple explanation would be that he waited until morning in case she slept someplace else and her phone was dead or she was in one of the many places on the island without reception.
    My opinion only, but I imagine he texted her a lot on Wednesday night, wondering where she was, when she would be home, why she wasn’t replying, etc.
    My opinion only, he was probably applying the same hippy “positive thinking” and optimism he’s demonstrated in interviews so far to her coming home that night. Not wanting to think the worst and instead hoping and picturing she’d walk through the door safe and sound at any moment with an explanation that made sense.

2. MauiCare

From the Maui Police press conference, Thursday, May 16, 2019:

“It was also reported that an early 2000 model blue Dodge pickup truck was seen parked next to Amanda’s vehicle in the Hunter’s Trail parking lot on May 8th, 2019.

Also a white Toyota van operated by an older male with two dogs was seen in the area.

A couple who appear to be tourists were also seen hiking in the area at this time.

Police are looking to contact these people.”

3. darmela

darmela Well-Known Member

The police have way more information than we do, so if they have officially cleared the BF then I am going to believe them. MOO

4. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Hi all.....i had to mention that watching this again, living thru two recent Colorado cases, the missing person's house gets to be a week or more stale on anything being found there bc LE starts with 'missing person' before moving into 'investigation.' Just an observation, the colder this case gets.

I'm trying to fill the hours between PostO and first reported by Park employee observation of car.

Then i recall the terrain and the missing hiking yogi Catherine Shaw in Guatemala found 7 days later from a fall.

Amanda appeared so loved, the thought of the two others in her last Wednesday life having anything to do with this just makes me shudder

cass523, GarAndTeed, happyday and 2 others like this.
  5. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

I had to mention, because of this case, today on the dog walk, Jim and I discussed then agreed that the other would react immediately if the other didn't show up as expected with no word. Especially in the land of missing people...Hawaii is like 8th or 9th per capita

6. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

I haven't really felt that the bf had anything to do with Amanda's disappearance. And now more so since a bit of new info has come out regarding this guy giving her "space", going to sleep and expecting her back at some point during the night, and his calling his mother with his concerns.

Most people don't think of worse case scenarios, and expect some reasonable explanation. I happen to be different unfortunately (doesn't help by reading these forums). I tend to imagine the worst, and on one occasion when my daughter's phone cut off in the middle of a nighttime conversation when she was in a bad place emotionally, I couldn't get in touch with her, across the country. After some freaking out I couldn't stand it anymore and got the university police to do a wellness check. She was fine, had fallen asleep.....and was much embarrassed by it. Police told her "call your mother!" Lol.

I've been pretty much convinced of an accident with Amanda.....but now I'm a bit antsy about that blue pick up truck. I do hope this person comes forward, as well as the white van man with the dogs.

7. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

I
    When my dad was missing there were 100s of volunteers. The day he was located it was my brother who found him. Just awful.

8. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

So glad they have cleared Amanda's boyfriend.

HaikuMommy, gitana1 and Suglo like this.
  9. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

The lack of a scent trail...Maybe she'd had a shower that morning and exfoliated really good, so not much dead skin or sebum on her skin to leave much scent out there? Maybe she wore a body lotion that day that was different from the dirty-shirt (or whatever) the police used to alert the dogs to her scent?

As for foul play...sadly, there are a lot of bad people -- meth/tweaker types -- in that general area: Ha'iku, Pa'ia and even in Makawao. That drug is the scourge of the islands. There is even a high-profile Hawaiian cultural practitioner on Maui who I am pretty sure has become a meth-head. I would bet $100 on it. When you live here, you get to know the look: the bulging eyes, gauntness, missing teeth. And up in fancy Napili, a wealthy, well-known chef/restaurateur was arrested a week or so ago for meth...and then released. It's not just the homeless who do meth.

If Amanda was accosted by someone, my assumption is that it would be one of these troubled tweaker types.

Someone had created a website several years ago (now gone) and named names of the individual/s he believed was responsible for murdering Laura Vogel out at Pauwela Point in Ha'iku in 2010....and also the individuals believed to have murdered Yeshua Boerstler out at the same place back in 2006...and the murder of still-missing Astara Evenstar. The probable identify of the perpetrators of these crimes is, I believe, something of an open secret among many people on the island. All of the people named are walking the streets still (typical for Maui). Very volatile and dangerous individuals. Either the PD claimed there was not enough physical evidence to bring a case...or the individuals had family connections in high places, or rumors of police involvement...

Lots of meth on Maui, and lots of missing people & murders do not get solved or brought to justice. Charli Scott was a rare exception, her murderer was put in prison. This is a very sad situation. I hope that Amanda Eller is not another member of this sad club on Maui, of taken individuals who never see justice.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. Hope2001

Hope2001 Active Member

New to Websleuths but longtime lurker. Just saw a new release online that a body was found on hiking trail and it was bound with duct tape. It didn’t provide any other information. Not sure if it’s related or not

11. Rhenish

Rhenish Well-Known Member

Oh no, that is not good whoever it is.

Is this the article you are referring to ?

Body found bound with duct tape

HONOLULU (KHON2) - Police have opened a murder investigation after a body was found bound with duct tape on the side of the mountian off of a trail.

Police were called to the scene around 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, at the intersection of Aleka Place and old Kalanianaole Road.

"He has not be identified at this time so we don't know who he is yet. So if the public has any info they can call CrimeStoppers if they wish to...But at this point, he's just an adult male is all we have," said ... more at link...

12. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Yesterday. HE has not been identified . . .
    Body found bound with duct tape
    Posted: May 15, 2019 03:54 PM HST
    Updated: May 16, 2019 09:24 AM HST
    HONOLULU (KHON2) - Police have opened a murder investigation after a body was found bound with duct tape on the side of the mountian off of a trail.

Police were called to the scene around 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, at the intersection of Aleka Place and old Kalanianaole Road.

"He has not been identified at this time so we don't know who he is yet. So if the public has any info they can call CrimeStoppers if they wish to...But at this point, he's just an adult male is all we have," said Honolulu Police Department Deena Thoemmes.
    [...]

13. lucky181

lucky181 Active Member

14. Mizzamzz

Mizzamzz Member

Sadly I feel that this is going to end up being a recovery rather than a rescue.

It’s worrying that the FLIR picked nothing up in the forest the day she was reported missing (fingers crossed they were looking in the wrong area).

I really feel for Amanda’s family & friends.
    I’ve been following along from Australia since day 1, hoping to hear a positive outcome, but the latest press conference did not give much hope at all.

I just hope her family receives closure soon, regardless of what way that happens.

15. KatzEye

KatzEye Well-Known Member

I don't think this has been posted here yet. If MauiTime is not considered MSM, please remove.

16. whitelilac

@Astro71 ...I'm really sorry about your dad, and that it was his son who found him. Peace to you both.

Traymar, HaikuMommy, Astro71 and 9 others like this.
  17. whitelilac

I had no idea that meth is a real problem in Maui. My brother has never mentioned it and has lived on Maui for some 25 years, in the Honokawaii area. This is alarming.
    Even if one is experienced, fit, and knows the trails, anything out of the ordinary can happen re: accident......but foul play is becoming a real possibility now. I hope I'm wrong.

18. MauiCare

It’s possible someone with a gun abducted her getting out of her vehicle and that’s why there weren’t signs of struggle.

Astro71, cass523, gitana1 and 2 others like this.
  19. MauiCare

Getting neighbors in the area to save and check their security camera footage is very important. And to look around their properties.

realanastasia, cass523, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  20. MauiCare

I don’t know how much has been done so far regarding contacting all neighbors in the area, and along the route her vehicle traveled, and any other routes leading to the nearby forest parking lots. Even though some have already been contacted, an idea is that someone could make a flier to give to all neighbors and also put in all mailboxes with instructions like:

"Please save and backup any security, gopro, and trail cam videos you have and send them to the police.
    Additionally, it was reported that an early 2000 model blue Dodge pickup truck was seen parked next to Amanda’s vehicle in the Hunter’s Trail parking lot on May 8th, 2019.
    Also a white Toyota van operated by an older male with two dogs was seen in the area.
    A couple who appear to be tourists were also seen hiking in the area at this time.
    Police are looking to contact these people.
    If you know anyone who matches any of those descriptions, please call MPD and encourage them to call MPD."

21. R.bread

R.bread Active Member

He is so eerily calm in all of the footage i see of him. I don't necessarily think he's involved but his behavior and lack of emotion is very odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.