HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

They were bringing in rappellers to search so that would indicate some steep drop-offs.

Attached Files:

2. Mysti88c

Mysti88c Well-Known Member

borndem, HayLouise, sassyblue and 7 others like this.
  3. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

I also find it strange that the bf waited until the next day to report her missing, but without knowing them & their relationship dynamics it’s hard to know. I’m sure that’s seriously being looked into. It’s odd for sure.

4. Mauig’ma

Mauig’ma Well-Known Member

I’m planning on searching this weekend. Fingers crossed that she is home and resting by then and won’t need volunteers searching. God Speed...

5. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Updates from her Missing Page on FB state they she was probably hiking rather than running, that she chose a trail on the east side of the road (parking area) which is used for pig hunters, rather than the loop trail. And that led to the statement that she loves waterfalls and could have hiked to see one because of the rainfall lately. Details have also been shared that some searchers are and have been rappelling down waterfalls in that area to search at the bottom. No luck so far, it seems.

6. MauiJen

MauiJen Well-Known Member

Sarah is “very close” to Ben and does not know Amanda very well. From a brief conversation I had with her, she’s only met her a few times. Sarah has also only lived here on Maui for 10 months, less than a year.

Please do watch the press conference linked earlier - it’s long, but a lot of interesting dynamic.

My understanding, based on conversation with Sarah, people at the base camp, and 2 coworkers who have been searching daylight to dark every day in the forest, is that Amanda did not tell anyone she was going to the forest that day. Ben has a “feeling” that’s where she was based on their “deep connection” (see press conference), so he directed police, Sarah, and volunteers to the forest Thursday morning when he first reported her missing. And that’s then where they found her car in the parking area. Ben and Sarah (his very close friend who has only met Amanda a few times) are the ones telling everyone how normal it is for Amanda to go hiking / running without her phone and where they found her hidden key, which they are reporting is normal behavior for her. Everyone is continuing to search the forest because Ben is “being called” to search there. Please watch that press conference. It’s hard to hear him, but listen to the things both he and Sarah say. I’m not accusing anyone, but this whole thing is just too weird.

7. R.U.Kidding!

R.U.Kidding! Well-Known Member

She left her keys on top of the front tire, not In the car

8. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Any chance that Sarah and Ben are each other’s “alibis” as well?

9. R.U.Kidding!

Not so smart--emergencies do happen

10. MauiJen

Also, just for clarification, most of the hunting in this area is pig hunting with dogs, not usually with guns.

11. R.U.Kidding!

If Wed was her day off and this was her habit someone may have watched and waited for her, followed her into the forest or waited for her to come out to her car and abducted her.

12. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Wasn't she seen by some other hikers? One couple with a puppy that she stopped to pet? I read that in one of the previous articles or on Missing FB page.
    His reporting that she was there based on a "deep connection" is a bit on the BS side of things, and coincidentally her car is found there...could be weird. But if witnesses actually reported seeing her, then she really was hiking there. Possible he knows her routines and suggested looking there. Not sure his reasons for waiting til Thursday morning though.

13. MauiJen

This is standard protocol on Maui. We just don’t have the resources to use the manpower for longer. There are lost hikers almost daily here, sometimes multiple times a day. And near-drownings in the ocean, other accidents that require our MPD and MFD manpower . Most of these are tourist-related, so it’s very frustrating when a resident is missing. But there it is. The case isn’t closed, they’re just not involved in the search of the forest. Hopefully MPD is investigating all the other possibilities.

Beanpot, IHAVENOCLUE, j_in_c and 13 others like this.
  14. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Not all areas where people hike will have cell reception (these areas are appealing to many, less people), hikers know this. Now some people do carry a PLB in the event of an emergency. I have no idea about cell reception in this area.

Emergencies do happen. It's possible she had a tragic fall and perished instantly.

15. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

I saw the report of witnesses as well

16. MauiJen

Those people saw someone who looks a lot like Amanda, but aren’t 100% sure it was her. This area is a busy place for hikers, bikers, runners, hunters. More people should have seen her than that, in my opinion.

ETA: especially in the parking area.

17. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I read that after looking at video that the witnesses were fairly sure it was her. Agreed, fairly sure isn't 100%. Curious if more people would have seen her if she chose the hunting rail rather than the loop? Is that a less frequented path, except for pig hunters and their dogs?

18. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Amanda Eller Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Amanda Eller arrived at the Makawao Forest Reserve sometime during the morning of May 8. According to spokeswoman Sarah Haynes, at least three people reported to police that they believe they saw Eller between the hours of 9 and 10:30 a.m. that day.

Haynes shared on the Findamanda Facebook page that a couple that had been hiking that morning with their dog believes it was Eller whom they spoke with on the trail. They said that Eller “pet the puppy, and was her happy normal self.” They told police that they were relatively confident it was Eller after seeing more photos of her. Another witness reported seeing someone whom they believed to have been Eller.

19. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Also, her leaving her keys on her tire makes sense to me. Many hikers or runners worry about dropping their keys. It would be hard to retrace steps when it could possibly cover many, many miles. I don't think it's a good practice but it made sense to me.

20. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.