HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

my thoughts: if there is a second bottle of water she took with her, strike this, but don’t people who plan to run and not carry the water, at least want to have a drink before taking off? It was full.

I think most people know that if both ID and CCs are stolen, it’s going to be a royal pain fixing the problems and getting new ID. I have for years used a small walking or hiking wallet just big enough for a few plastic cards and I don’t leave that in the car ever. But that’s me.

The dog didn’t establish that a real walk took place.

The yoga pants in the video are long enough to where they would get wet on the bottoms if the plan was to scramble around any streams. Wrong pants for that plan. (Of course we do not know if she went home and changed. We do not even know she drove up there, only that she was driving away from the PO.)

If the two sightings in the lot around noon and at closing are both correct, what about the DLNR? guys who supposedly want to be interviewed to say her car was NOT there at 2 when they emerged from the trail. If they make this testimony official, then sounds like either the firemen or these 2 PM guys must be wrong. OR, if they are both correct, maybe her car left was there around noon, but left before 2, and then was brought back between 2 and closing, and was abandoned to be found as if she must have been in the forest overnight.

I certainly hope that didn’t happen, but if a perp is leaving a purse with ID in the car, that does leave a clear message of “this woman parked here, and this is her car and ID and stuff, and she was going hiking and didn’t come back, so start searching here.”

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. puakenikeni

Signing out, but I need to say that I care very much for Amanda even not having met her. I started following out of concern. I feel this nagging fear that the amazing search should have produced results by now, and that Amanda was possibly abducted.

Honestly, after ten days, her chance of survival could possibly be better if someone took her, one doesn’t know the motive. It would be awful, but I hope they would find her.

I’m very sad for all her family and friends that she’s been missing so long, and I keep hoping for the best. Either way, it’s something that could happen to any woman (or man) trying to commune solo with nature.

A long time ago, I remember when Carpenter was preying on hikers on Mt. Tam in Marin, a place I was partly raised. That was the one where I lost my feeling of safety in the woods, so close to home.

3. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

All seasoned runners know about flip belts and running backpacks

Also could she have been wearing a running watch, garmin,Fitbit etc

cass523, Stella8, Traymar and 4 others like this.
  4. Elsa Johanssen

Elsa Johanssen Member

I don't understand why his behavior was brazen? I think it's quite a stretch to assume that someone who parked next to a victim of foul play is the perpetrator. He was an older guy from what I hear and they are only looking for him because he could be a potential witness. Not sure why the spreading of information that is not confirmed so far (how was it disturbing? How was it brazen? How would you know if he's homeless?).

Satchie likes this.
  5. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Same here- I know accident is most likely but there also these unresolved issues.

nobody saw her on the trails
    she left her purse wide open in view
    she hasn't been found on or near the trails

happyday, Mistree, Hazelnutty and 4 others like this.
  6. Elsa Johanssen

Elsa Johanssen Member

In Maui, even in the forest there are paths and roads - it's almost impossible to get lost - all you have to do is walk down hill. The press should find statistics about how many people have been lost in that area - my guess is little to none and she is a local. Also Maui residents usually do not leave valuables in the car since there is crime - and the locals, like Amanda, know that. I don't believe she parked and left her car there. Someone else did. And I also believe that there are mistakes that were made that will come into play.

cass523, windrower, La Louve and 12 others like this.
  7. HelpingHeart

HelpingHeart Well-Known Member

Agree. He does seem to have been acting strange, but we will never know if he was calling her over to call someone for help because he had car trouble or something.

happyday and Mizzamzz like this.
  8. puakenikeni

A couple more things from the 5/12 q&a led by Sarah.
    1) police are pinging phones, measuring car driver’s seat adjustment, getting prints, using Onstar to find out where car went. Just not done, not releasing results.

2) she and her mother texted of Tuesday before she went missing, and she asked Mom about having a call on the Wednesday. Mom was out of the US on vacation and was already going diving during the time frame, and they couldn’t arrange to talk.

I don’t know what time Amanda proposed, but it shows she expected to have a block of time free for a call (from somewhere with service), so perhaps another sign she wasn’t planning a super ambitious hike as of Tuesday at least.

They all, including her Mom, agreed Amanda did not like to take her phone when running, or any high tech. Unplugged and in nature was the point, safe or not.

9. HelpingHeart

HelpingHeart Well-Known Member

I just looked Carpenter up. I didn’t realize he’s the one who attacked Lisa Rinna’s mom, wow! Just heard about that on the Housewives show this year.

10. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say I really like reading your posts. They stick to the facts of the case that has so much speculation.

MuddyTires, windrower, Lato and 8 others like this.
  11. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I'm not a runner but if I were to venture into the woods I would surely want three things with me. My phone, water and mace. If Amanda wanted to disconnect its very easy to turn the phone off.
    Having visited Hawaii I was amazed at the homeless living in parks in Honolulu.

12. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

That is great to hear. Especially the OnStar in the car. Where the car was between 10:30 am and 12:15 pm would narrow things down tremendously and take out a ton of doubt.

13. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

One way for stuff to be left out but the car locked is if she opened her doors, locked them (they are still open) and hid the key, then she bends down to put on shoes or whatever. She gets intercepted before packing stuff up and the perp shuts her car doors before leaving with her so it doesn’t look out of place. MOO

14. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

When someone is missing, I figure it's one of three scenarios: accident, foul play, or missing on purpose. I don't see any evidence of the last scenario with Amanda. It sounds like she had planned to call her mom that day, she had planned an activity with a friend who cancelled the last minute, and she left without phone, money, ID or anything.

So I believe it's one of the first two scenarios. I had initially thought accident while hiking and I haven't ruled it out. But the facts we DO know are that she has not been found yet, dogs did not pick up her scent further than the start of the trail (the police's statement that they couldn't say where it ended is a bit unclear), and there have been extensive searches in the forest. It doesn't mean she just hasn't been missed, but I am leaning more toward foul play because of these facts MOO.

cass523, sassyblue, windrower and 5 others like this.
  15. avid_dk

avid_dk Member

If you are a back country runner/hiker never lock your doors until you are ready to go and have assured yourself the key is in your hand. Locking doors that are hanging open can lead to a very long and unexpected walk or run. By the way, locking valuables away at the trailhead is not really a recommended practice either. Who knows if there is someone watching nearby. Either take everything you have with you or stop somewhere before you arrive at the trailhead and move the gear into hiding. I spent my career working by myself in the Western US mountains and hike for pleasure all over the West and have hiked on Maui as well.

cass523, sassyblue, windrower and 9 others like this.
  16. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

IMO a woman should NOT go hiking alone. I don't care what anyone says or thinks. If someone attacked her and buried her under all this foliage she might never be found. She could have been put deep into the forest.

17. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Hiking alone is more pleasurable for some people, though.

What has me puzzled the most is where was she going? What was she doing up there? If it was just for a jog then why not stick to the main trail, the loop? Why is she parked in the lower parking lot? And why did she drive all the way out to this particular park? Aren't there other places to jog much closer to home?

18. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

runners choose routes for many different reasons...not just easiest/closest

she may have wanted hill training, or it may be a good place for intervals or even the weather /conditions suited better there. sometimes i choose a loop for laps or an out and back. running is complicated!

19. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Another thing: I've seen the trails described as muddy. Were they muddy on May 8? Because who wears running shoes on a muddy trail?

20. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the scent was lost quickly due to her going over to another parked car. Someone needed help or had a puppy or whatever reason to provoke her to walk over there, perhaps leaving her things visible in her car and her backpack/water bottle sitting there for a moment. If she was then grabbed, her scent would probably only go over to the spot where this vehicle was parked. IMO

A blue pickup truck seen by the off-duty fire fighter, right next to her car doesn't make me suspicious in the scenario I just described. That truck may even have been there before she parked her car. Most people seem to prefer and earlier time to start the hike or the hunt. Being parked would only be suspicious if the driver then followed her, and was in fact at that moment following her. And then, most likely, her scent would have progressed farther up the trail.

The white van intrigues me, though I can come up with a couple reasons why it would not be the suspicious either. First it was seen in the area, as in driving away as the fire fighter reported, and not parked. If involved, that would likely mean Amanda was in the van already, and the driver was taking her away from the area. Possibly, though, since the man had dogs wit him and the hunting trail is a normal place to see dogs (dogs used to hunt the pigs), then he could have be scoping out a potential hiking site, or had already been hunting and was leaving from a morning hike/hunt in that area. Again, IMO

cass523, puakenikeni and HelpingHeart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.