HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Here's a quote:

Amanda’s mother said she was in the forest for about 45 minutes after arriving on Maui Sunday afternoon. “It was muddy. There are lots of huge trees down. The terrain is a bit rugged in places, and that was just to scratch the surface. I spent time calling her and looking where I could under any areas where I could get to that I thought might present a situation where she could’ve slipped off the ledge.”

source: https://mauinow.com/2019/05/13/six-days-missing-where-could-amanda-eller-be/

So running shoes on a muddy trail. Another thing that doesn't make sense. Unless it wasn't muddy May 8.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    sassyblue, jash, puakenikeni and 7 others like this.
  2. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

BBM
    The excuse they give doesn’t jive. It doesn’t make sense.

They were a little suspicious because valuable items were left in plain view. Makes sense.

Then they say, after speaking with friends that is normal because she likes to unplug <—— Red Flag...Doesn’t make sense.

What does leaving valuables out in the open have to do with unplugging?

I go to a park multiple times per week for long hikes. I like to “unplug” as well. But that just means I leave my phone in the car. Nobody leaves valuables in plain view in their car at a park trailhead. They at least hide them in the floor of the back seat or the trunk or cover them up with something.

I wasn’t sensing anything hinky until I read Maui PD’s statement there.

jash, MuddyTires, windrower and 7 others like this.
  3. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

trail running.....specific trail shoes would be used. i often take a muddy hilly route through forest to run a trail run

anyone know what footwear she had on?

4. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I'm a non jogger..runner but if I did decide to go into the woods you can bet I'd have my water and phone. You can 'unplug' by turning off the phone..no problem!

Something else I'd like to ask those that do run. In the picture of Amanda in the grocery store did she appear dressed for a run? She seemed more dressed for a yoga session.
    Also if she had a couple of stops to make them head to the run why not wear her running shoes?

5. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

This could be said about a man, too, though.

I prefer hiking solo and will never stop doing it. I can also be attacked or abducted walking to and from my car or in my own home. I prefer to not live my life in fear. These same sorts of things were said about women running solo during the Mollie Tibetts case and I didn’t agree then either. Each human should do what makes them feel comfortable and not do what makes them uncomfortable.

6. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

While this is all true, it doesn’t mean Amanda abided by this advice. It’s still a possible scenario for what happened to her IMO

iluvmua and Satchie like this.
  7. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

All I can say for me as a woman is I would feel very vulnerable hiking alone.

8. Maljako

Maljako Active Member

Re: unplugging

1) We can't yet be 100% sure she did not have a phone with her. Some statements from the family seem to indicate it was indeed her only phone that was in the car. Some other statements seem like it might have been her work phone.

2) Turning off your phone is not unplugging for everyone. I'm addicted to my phone and the only way to truly unplug is to be physically away from it. I do go for walks without my phone, and I'd hate to have it with me while jogging.

Without personally knowing Eller, I'm not going to speculate what the phone in the car means. Her family seems to think there's nothing strange or alarming about it.

Suglo and HaikuMommy like this.
  9. wary

wary Well-Known Member

The post you quoted doesn’t have any links. Do we know that that’s exactly what Maui PD said? I think it’s likely that a bridging statement was left out, somewhere along the line—something like that they considered the left-behind cell phone to be suspicious too, but realized that it wasn’t, when they learned that she liked to ‘unplug.’

Auntie Cipation and CoolJ like this.
  10. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

I would scour the place where the dogs lost her scent. She could very well have slipped and fallen somewhere in that area. I'd look at it again.

viccity, HulaMum, puakenikeni and 3 others like this.
  11. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

I think you're right that the fact the key was hidden under the wheel is a very strong indication that she put it there herself. This is something runners, and runners alone, often do. The natural process is to ensure the doors are locked first. You also ensure no one is around watching you do it!

I think a basic principle of investigation is to follow the evidence, and draw your theories from the evidence. Not first come up with a theory and then try to twist the evidence to be consistent with your theory.

I don't think her leaving things in the front seats is conclusive as evidence of anything. We can't say what it means or doesn't mean. Probably it means she wasn't thinking about someone possibly breaking in to her car. And in fact, although it sat there for 24 hours, no one did break into her car.

It also seems completely reasonable to me that police would initially run forensics on her car, to rule out the possibility that she was brought there. It's a common enough scenario, police would be heavily criticized if they hadn't run tests, and then remains were discovered that had probably been brought there.

ETA: Forensic tests have to be done immediately, before anyone contaminates the car by going in it.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    SaintGirl, Razz, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  12. HelpingHeart

HelpingHeart Well-Known Member

I thought the same - maybe that’s just her work phone. Didn’t they say it only had emails? Does she have an Apple Watch or Fitbit?

wary likes this.
  13. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Volunteers continue to search for Amanda Eller | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui News
    Volunteers continue to search for Amanda Eller
    Scent dogs and GPS tracking have been added to the massive mission
    MAY 19, 2019

MAKAWAO — Nearly a week and a half into the Makawao Forest Reserve search for missing Haiku woman Amanda Eller, her father said that this stage marks a “big push” to cover an area map using GPS tracking on humans, canines and drones.

“We’ve had a huge turnout of community help and support — searchers, ATVs, horses . . . we have a search-and-rescue team from Kauai with their dogs out here, we have a search-and-rescue team from Maui here. We’ve got basically all the dogs in the islands that are professionally trained, NASAR dogs, that are here over the next couple of days,” John Eller said on Saturday afternoon. “This is the big push; we still have great volunteers.

Using GPS coverage that maps out different areas of search coverage, the group is “eliminating areas and filling in the maps,” he said.

At the base camp, a tented area for volunteers in the reserve’s upper parking lot holds a large TV screen that displays a map of the densely wooded area. Blue lines trace human searches; red lines trace dog searches; and green lines trace drone searches.

Base coordinator Joseph Montelongo and search coordinator Chris Berquist were key in developing the search saturation map. The tracking evolved from hand-written maps to large-scale mapping overlaid with hand-drawn coverage, and since Monday, digital mapping using GPS tracking apps for people, dogs and drones.
    [...]

14. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

sassyblue, La Louve, KatzEye and 5 others like this.
  15. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

Brazen, because the report, IIRC, was that the individual was looking in someone's window in Napili, and after she called the cops, he came back and did it again. The other report was that this individual was potentially trying to coerce a young woman, and he was doing it at Pali trailhead, which is RIGHT on Honoapiilani Hwy, with cars rushing past and looking a few feet over at the trailhead parking lot. For both of these reasons, I called his behavior "brazen."

I never stated that someone was a perpetrator because their vehicle was parked next to Amanda's car. I said if an independent witness saw an older man in a white van with two dogs in that parking lot at noon the day Amanda went missing, and there are all these reports of sketchy behavior coming in by a man of that SAME description, then they need to find him.

I assume he may be homeless because....scruffy, acts inappropriately (so possible difficulty in life, holding down a job), always seen in a van with his companion dogs, very mobile moving all around the island in his van...It is an assumption on my part that he may be homeless, but I don't think it's illogical.

16. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Hi, presumed footwear is pictured on the FB Findamanda page near the very beginning.

puakenikeni, Mistree and CoolJ like this.
  17. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Just as a personal aside here, Hawaii folks wear their "slippahs" (flip flops) nearly everywhere in my experience. And re her outfit, I, too, have wondered if she stopped at home to change into more trail appropriate gear. There's that 2 hour gap from the video and the witnesses at the parking area...but that could just be that her car was there but no one actually saw it til noon.

edit to add: I would think her phone would track her movements throughout the morning with pings on towers. But maybe that doesn't happen on the Islands.

jash, windrower, La Louve and 5 others like this.
  18. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

It’s entirely possible that she left her belongings in her car exactly where they were found. Maybe she does that all the time regardless of the risk. Also leaving her key under the tire. Maybe that’s what she does & believes the chances are low of someone stealing her car.

The clothing she was wearing is active wear, it’s breathable material, some even moisture wicking. I wear it myself. Even the bra. All allow for movement as well. Her clothing makes sense to me for a run or a short hike, maybe even a swim. I personally could care less if I come back to my car wet, muddy or even both.

The phone. Although a foreign concept to many, some could care less about it while doing something they enjoy. I’m sure if there was a accident she regretted not taking it but many people don’t think something catastrophic is going to happen.

Many people enjoy doing outdoor activities alone. I do. Although most of the time I almost always have a dog with me.

She had the day off and probably didn’t want to waste it.

It’s incredibly sad seeing those pics of her at the market. She had no idea what was coming within the next hours.

Her family and friends are putting together an incredible search effort. It looks like they are getting more organized and are talking to the right people

19. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

A very important update from Kimberlyn this morning on the Findamanda page.
    So glad to hear there is a parallel investigation!!!

20. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

How far away dogs can smell depends upon the number of scent receptors they have, and that is a number that varies by breed. The bloodhounds top that list with 300 million scent receptors, while beagles and German shepherds both sport 225 million. (if you are going to compare dogs to humans, we only have 5 million scent receptors.)

Cadaver dogs have been known to smell a decomposing body 80 feet underwater and 40 feet buried under soil. If remains are out in the open, I’ve seen a dog pick up the scent from a mile away. They may be able to do more, I’ve just not seen it (I’m not a handler, but have worked alongside of them so if anyone else here is a handler please correct me if I'm wrong)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.