HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

The phone left in the car doesn’t mean anything IMO. Especially if she was just going for a jog. I wouldn’t bring my phone either.

The rest of her valuables being left in plain view is what stands out to me. It is not common IMO.

2. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

It doesn’t really matter if there was a bridging statement. They specifically said the reasoning it is not suspicious that her valuables were left in plain site is because her friends say she likes to unplug. Forget about the phone. Leaving your backpack with identification and credit cards etc.in plain view has nothing to do with unplugging.

IMO, Maui PD is a little more suspicious of foul play then they are letting on at the moment.

3. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

RSBM

I think the way she left her belongings could be seen as evidence of her state of mind, which might shed light on how/why she went missing. Ie not worried, not fearful, not cautious, but bold, confident, optimistic.

4. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is possible she did this all the time. Jmo.

HulaMum, HaikuMommy and Suglo like this.
  5. Satchie

RSBM

I agree somewhat, but IMO Maui PD is not ruling out foul play. They have no evidence, at this stage, to be suspicious, especially because, at this stage, all the actual evidence points to accident.

However, there's not a lot of evidence, the situation still has some ambiguity. It would be clearer if someone had seen her jogging far from the parking lot, or shoe prints were found in a place with no other prints.

I think it'd be a pretty lousy police force that didn't keep in mind that women are, very frequently, targets, and that killers are, sometimes, very good at covering their tracks. So until she's actually found, I think they have to be alert to any possible evidence that might arise. But I don't think they have enough to open a criminal investigation, which would enable them to detain people for questioning or file search warrants.

Cardinal47, human, Mistree and 2 others like this.
  6. iluvmua

Do we know how often Amanda went to hike this particular trail?

Maybe someone knew her routine because they have seen her hike this trail a lot and when she was alone, they decided to make their move.

Jmo.

7. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I just don’t think leaving valuables in plain view at a trailhead has anything to do with not being worried etc.. or being confident etc..

I think it is common sense to hide valuables in your vehicle when you leave it unattended at a trailhead.

It is not impossible she did that, just highly unlikely IMO.

Also, she is a physical therapist and apparently very aware of her health and wellness, therefore I believe she would have had a good amount of her water before she left if she didn’t bring it with her.

8. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

Separate phone number and email for Psychic tips. Interesting. I have never seen that before.

jash, borndem, bluesneakers and 7 others like this.
  9. iluvmua

It makes sense.

HulaMum, CoolJ, MerBeach and 3 others like this.
  10. darmela

darmela Well-Known Member

Fear vs. Safety

We certainly shouldn't let fear prevent us from living a normal life. However, it's always wise to take safety precautions - especially women - while doing things alone. At the very least, always have your cell phone with you. I would rather be armed with my cell phone or take other safety measures and be alive, than be unprepared and lose my life. To me, it's not worth the gamble.

11. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

im in the uk but regularly run alone through parks etc, never felt scared before. will re think

12. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I agree with all of your points. Unless you are injured in someway, almost any adults on an island like this would be able to find their way by going downhill, or using the sun and or moon as a guidance of which direction to go.

As to leaving valuables out in the open, I know every person is different. I don’t recall seeing how long Amanda lived on Maui, but again I think most adults on this island know the high propensity for car break-ins. To leave it under your seat, in your trunk, those are understandable. I do that when I go to the beach, but if I am ONLY going to the beach, then I don’t bring a full purse and I hide my license, and cash or credit card if I’ll need it, somewhere in my vehicle before I get to my destination. If it’s a full purse, I do the same even if it means pulling over at a gas station before I get to the beach To hide my purse somewhere in the vehicle. I try to never put it in my trunk or hide it at the location where I will be staying.

I have and continue to train my grandkids. They are innocent about it, and will leave a package or a backpack in my car when we go somewhere. I have told them that it’s best not to “tempt” anyone to steal, and always to put it in the trunk or hidden.

13. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I posted something similar earlier in this thread. It was a confusing mass of colored spaghetti lines with no color coding. Another poster suggested colors represented different search teams. They have been thorough in their searching, I will say that.

14. Satchie

Plenty of people do things that don't make sense. Like, at the worst, leaving their children in their hot car.

There were a number of things that Amanda did, that go against various warnings and cautions, and what some might label common sense. For eg, not letting anyone know where she was going and when she'd be back.

15. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know why someone living in Hawaii would need to unplug like that. Especially when you can meditate for an hour in the morning.

16. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

all good points. I never heard of the information that the van was leaving the area. That is something new to me.

Regarding the person in the white van hunting, unless it was an older van, I don’t think anyone on Maui would hunt with their van because if they
    do get a pig they would want to bring it home, and that could present a very messy situation in a van. If anything, I could see a truck being a hunter because usually that is how they would bring the pig home. JMO

I too wonder quite a bit about these “local” vehicles though. Maui is a very small place, and I think it would be highly unusual that whoever was driving those vehicles would not have heard about the missing woman. If the police have not been contacted by them, that would surprise me, and definitely make me suspicious of them.

However, we DON’T necessarily know that the police have not talked to them. Many times an investigation is not declared publicly to be one at the outset, and certainly facts are withheld to protect the integrity of it. It’s very possible the police have talked to both of these vehicles’ drivers, and are not in a position to release that information.

Lastly, I personally have left a tip regarding these vehicles on the police hotline. It’s been about 36 hours since I left the information, and have not received a call back. It is my hope that it is because the police don’t need information about that, rather than that the police are not quickly getting back to people regarding tips left to on the hotline.

17. Satchie

One scenario I can envisage, is that Amanda planned to go on a hike with her backpack, but first decided to do a quick run and to check out the trail to see if it was worth hiking. During her run, she might have veered off the trail to scope out a possible route for a hike, and got into physical trouble or got lost.

HulaMum, Razz, Alohaj and 1 other person like this.
  18. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I’m with you on that. I live on Maui, and have for most of my life. I used to snorkel way far out at Honolua Bay alone with no flippers, I think I was in my 40s at that point. When my grown son found out, who is not an overly cautious person, he said “mom you can’t be doing that, you at least need to get some flippers! “ I’ve hiked alone on this island, and the most of the time I didn’t necessarily let people know where I was going. I later moved to Seattle part time for a while, and would take the bus and walk home at one in the morning. Stupid! And I was in my 50s then, LOL Too old to not have known better.

So I have had a false sense of security many times in my adult life, but as I get older I get more cautious ! Amanda is much younger then me though, and I would definitely have hiked at her age with just my keys. I wouldn’t have left any items in my car in plain sight though.

Just my personal experience, for what it’s worth.

OnlyFacts, borndem, Lato and 7 others like this.
  19. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

I completely agree with your critique. That’s a great point, that unplugging does not predicate leaving valuables and identity theft opportunities in plain sight. The only thing I can see connecting the two is police might conclude these people show a possible naïveté about the existence of bad people operating in a sphere where they are looking for good. I don’t know enough about what MPD was told by her friends, or how Amanda normally handles security, or what the police really thought, so that’s just spec.

I do not think MPD would be trying to mislead, but they don’t have any obligation to say everything they thought or think about the disappearance. In fact it is their duty not to do that.

Note: it appears maybe Sarah Hayes went up to the parking lot when car was found, as Ben made statement he did. Maui Now has a photo of Amanda’s car in the parking lot, with photo credit to Sarah Haynes.
    Scroll down for photo:
    https://mauinow.com/2019/05/17/search-for-amanda-eller-highlights-official-timeline-media-qa/

We know the police removed the car, so the photo had to be taken soon after the car was found.

Not casting suspicion, just noting which friends were talking to the police at that time about Amanda’s habits. Amanda’s mother agreed that Amanda likes to be unplugged and unencumbered in nature as does her mother. Although Amanda’s mother doesn’t live on Maui and hasn’t been witnessing Amanda’s exact hiking routine, and I don’t think Sarah has either, but Ben has.

At least one, maybe two women who have run or hiked the upper loop with Sarah have posted that Amanda did take her phone on the hikes. Anyone else read that?

20. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Sometimes it’s hard to know if a trail will be muddy until you get there. On Maui, it’s easy to live in one location and it hasn’t rained, and 2 miles away it did rain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.