HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eucalyptuz

eucalyptuz Well-Known Member

The valuables in full view is a real red flag for me.
    A cagey perpetrator might have wiped prints off before leaving the car in a high risk area with phone and bag on show in anticipation of a smash and grab robbery, or even an easy car theft. A second crime would certainly muddy the waters to investigate the first.

We have also seen many missing persons cases where a left behind phone, ID etc has indicated voluntary disappearance/suicide but from all reports that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

2. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

You are quite right, I was tired and forgot to paste in the link I had copied.
    https://mauinow.com/2019/05/17/search-for-amanda-eller-highlights-official-timeline-media-qa/

Maui Now has summarized and quoted “highlights” of the police q&a and the full video is there at this link. I did watch the full thing the day it went up, but I was too tired last night to repeat it and did work from the highlights. Maybe you would like to look for additional wording in the video. I know I’d be interested.

3. human

human Well-Known Member

Police normally do not respond to tips.

CoolJ and puakenikeni like this.
  4. human

human Well-Known Member

Who leaves things in view in their car anywhere? I cannot imagine anyone doing that.

I left a grocery bag of used paperback books in my car, unlocked.

Someone stole them probably not realizing what was in the bag.

5. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

There were posts on findAmanda from a woman who thought she saw Amanda walking down Piiholo Rd. May 8th. She was asked about the weather and her reply stuck with me. She said it was as gorgeous a sunny day as one can get up there. That doesn’t mean that all prior mud would be dried up, but seems it wasn’t actively raining and making mud according to this person who was there in the area.

Note: pigs make trails a muddy mess. They used to do it on my own gulch property, in fact they ruined my trail I had built. They root for grubs and stuff. I don’t know what this trail was like, but pig trails aren’t neat and can be real slippery.

I think slip and fall is very possible, but the search effort is incredible and I believe it would have found her anywhere close to the parking lot.

6. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

The police have not DISCLOSED if they have any evidence to suspect foul play. It would not be unusual for them to have evidence they are keeping quiet on, so as not to impede any investigation.
    In fact, I became aware of evidence yesterday from an insider, which I cannot disclose. So the police may know MUCH more than they are telling us.

Additionally, it is the belief of many people here on Maui that many crimes are kept quiet because to disclose them would affect our main industry, tourism. There have been quite a few missing persons cases that have never been solved, and those are just the ones we hear about. In the past, there’s been a lot of dissatisfaction with our Police Department. It’s sad, but it’s true.

7. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

We don't know Amanda well enough to know if she was of an idealistic/optimistic mindset...or if she was more suspicious/skeptical/careful, when it came to personal safety and car robbery while living in Hawaii. Also, the stuff being on the floor could indicate a small attempt to conceal it, in the sense that it was more out of sight down there than it would be left out in the open on the passenger seat. So her stuff placed on the floor might not be all that suspect.

It is very easy for a malihini (newcomer) to Maui to be lulled into a false sense of peace and security, because they live among such tranquil, tropical beauty. It's possible that she existed in a rather blissed out, naive state living among the beautiful, rolling pastureland of Haiku & Makawao. It's counterintuitive that areas like that would have significant crime, because people associate crime with inner cities, big cities, "bad" neighborhoods -- they don't associate crime with beautiful rural country. So she may have just felt like she was surrounded by aloha and considered it very unlikely that a break-in would happen out there in such a rural area, and left the stuff visible in car for that reason.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Also hiding the key under the car?

I wonder about how they found the key, whether anyone told them where she usually hid it. Because, IMO, if she was known to hide it in that spot every time she went jogging, it means she was the one who left her stuff on the front seat. The key is the key.

sassyblue, happyday, Estrella and 2 others like this.
  9. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn’t know that actually. I left a tip on a previous crime here in Maui and did get a call back promptly. They appeared interested to get any and all information in that incidence. I don’t always leave all the information on the tip line because it’s a recording, and sometimes the information can’t be stated briefly, as was the case in my tip this time. Thanks

sassyblue, HaikuMommy and human like this.
  10. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I’m confused about this, because I read many times in articles and other statements that the key was left on one of the tires, which is to me a very common thing that people here in Maui do. But then someone stated the police said it was under the car, so if anyone has clarification on this I’d appreciate it.

11. SaintGirl

SaintGirl Well-Known Member

I read a comment somewhere from someone who went hiking there the same day Amanda went missing and she said the exact same thing ... very muddy with trees downs. So I don’t think the search in that area is very cut and dry as some have suggested.

Curious if anyone on here has been part of the search effort and what that’s been like. The daily updates on the findamanda Facebook page from the search organizer Chris have been very informative.

I’m also curious exactly where her scent was lost because I thought I read a quote from her father that it was pretty far into the forest, so they know she made it into the forest. But some have suggested they didn’t get a scent out of the parking lot, so there’s confusion. I know what the police said at their presser, which was vague at best.

And I believe that Wednesdays were closed to hunters, so there wouldn’t have been any hunting going on that day, which might be why Amanda choose that area. Can anyone local confirm it was indeed closed for hunting?

12. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

This is from the missing poster

"Amanda may have gone running, it was her day off and this is a common place for her. It is also normal that she would leave her cell behind. Her car key was found hidden under the driver’s side front tire.”

13. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

I have not been on Maui. But when I visited Oahu, there were signs at virtually every trailhead and beach parking lot we visited about hiding belongings because car thefts are common. I don’t know, obviously, if places on Maui have these warnings, but if they do, I would assume someone who lives there would also know about car burglaries being common. I am not saying this as “Oh she should be not leaving stuff out,” but rather “Hmm this might be a red flag that she was interrupted because she never put her stuff away.”

14. SaintGirl

SaintGirl Well-Known Member

Bumping because this is an excellent post, I wish more people could/would understand what you are conveying. Not so much on this forum but others where there is a lot of noise of how the police and search are conducting the investigation/efforts.

Tallulah. Lakkey, j_in_c and Satchie like this.
  15. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I believe leaving your belongings on a car seat is different than leaving them on the car floor. The car floor, IMO, shows an awareness to where they are being placed.

sassyblue, borndem and j_in_c like this.
  16. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

This is the most recent update posted a few hours ago - - details about yesterday and the plans for today:
    Findamanda
    Findamanda

[​IMG]
    Findamanda
    3 hrs ·
    REPORT FROM CHRIS BERQUIST, BASE CAMP
    Speaking of search yesterday 5/18

Aloha Family. I love you people. We love you people.

Another absolutely amazing day. We had Over 100 searchers out today, about 25 support staff, a dzn drivers, breakfast and lunch were brought in, drones were flown, agencies were consulted with. We're doing an amazing job out there guys. YOU are doing an amazing job out there. I know it might start to sound redundant, but I really hope you're meeting each other out there and realizing how amazing the people in this community are. I honored and overjoyed to be able to call you me team.

It takes all kinds. We have families, we have vacationers, people that are still taking time off of work, old, young, great shape, not such great shape. Heck, we even had a guy with one foot out there keeping up with a team doing a long search. And he went out twice! I can't even begin to express how important and impressive you all are. Please Please Please, lets keep this going until we get the job done.

Today I started out sending a few teams down (directionaly speaking) to cover a few ridges that were blank on the saturation map, which led to finding another series of pools with the drone, which led to a rappel/free dive team dropping in to clear the stream. We had several groups go up next to the reservoir/water treatment plant and clear the gulches above and below "Hog Back Trail" And I sent several teams up into the top of the East and West loops to start to fill in the saturation up at the top of the loops. We also had the FEMA dogs running this morning in a few random spots, as well as our Kauai search dog team, and those guys worked their butts off covering some heavy ground. If you've been in the map room over the past few days you've seen the map start to fill in, and now we're working with an on-site update, so I'm getting the map data on my screen 5 min after you send it to me in camp. It really helps me to use your time and energy more efficiently so we can continue to make the most of all of this effort you guys are putting in.

Tomorrow morning (this morning) I'll be taking a swiftwater team up to Waikamoi Stream (more like a river) so they can drop the stream all the way down to garden of Eden in deep Haiku. It's a relatively easy walk to the stream on the upper road, and its a beautiful area, and again, we can't rule it out until we get the data that it's cleared. I'll be rendezvousing with them at 0500 this morning to make sure they get an early start so they can have the best chance of clearing the stream in a single push.

Also tomorrow morning, we will have some local hunters running their dogs with some of our guys to flush out pigs and check pig dens. Those dogs are on a very different program then the search dogs so we are insisting that NO ONE be in the forest on the left side of the road (if you're coming up to base camp) until we give the all clear. We're expecting that to be around 8, but Please, Please, Please, don't wander over there until you hear that those guys are done.

We are still limited to using FAA licensed drone pilots, and while they are spending abit of time in the parking lot, just on stand by, thats so incredibly helpful. When I needed a drone to go out today, all I had to do was step out of my tent, ask for a pilot that could hike in, and viola, We had footage of an area in an hour that would have takes several hours just to find, rappel and clear.

Same goes for the free divers. I know Im not using you often, but when I need you, there's no better feeling then knowing your there and ready to go, so we can get this done without dragging our feet.

We still don't have a need for any more dirtbikes/quads at this time but we ABSOLUTELY still need drivers with trucks and SUVs to come and help drop and pick up the far away teams. Again, It's not going to be something that we need often, but when we need it, Man o man, we need it. And you guys have been awesome. I don't think we've had a team thats had to wait much more then the drive time from the parking lot to the pickup/drop off. If you've been one of those people finishing a search and waiting to get picked up, you know that it's really nice to hear "ok, we'll have somebody to you in ten min" and that's all it takes.

We are still asking that you do not bring your house pup. Now that we have working dogs on site, it tends to cause a bit commotion then help, and we don't want to interfere with these guys. They are an amazing resource and we want to help them in any way that we can. However, if it's between you staying home or you bringing you pup, please come and we'll find somewhere to make good use of you and your time.

The over all plan is to keep filling in the saturation data on the map so we can come as close as we can to a guarantee that we didn't miss her, and this is the ONLY way we can do that. I'll have more specifics tomorrow morning but we can absolutely keep using everyone in one way or another.

Many thanks and much love for all of your hard work and effort. Lets keep this thing going full steam.

Signing off,

Chris Berquist
    (The guy with the blond beard that talks really loud at everyone)

17. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

The fact that she didn’t let anyone know where she was going is not uncommon whatsoever IMO. She is a grown adult. No need to check in with anybody. Leaving valuables in plain view on the other hand is uncommon IMO. It is not impossible of course, but it certainly gives me pause for thought. I don’t like it.

Mizzamzz, HulaMum, Traymar and 3 others like this.
  18. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

SAR would have also asked about any known medical conditions. Although I think it’s unlikely she suffered a medical emergency because they would have found her on the trail. I always worry about heat stroke with people over doing it with physical activity, especially if they run into dehydration.

Another possible scenario is drowning. Eventually gases released will cause the body to float.

sassyblue, borndem and HaikuMommy like this.
  19. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Good question.... I am not good at attaching links, but DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources) website shows this hunting area is only open to hunting on Saturdays, Sundays and state holidays. Of course, that is assuming people will observe the official rules.

20. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

If memory serves me right I believe it was Ben that told the police she had been there just once but he 'felt' she was there.

I am kind of surprised at the number of Yoga, Meditation and Psychic tips I am reading about so maybe it's something the locals take seriously.

I would like the cell phone if for nothing else but to maybe help find me if I did fall down a ravine. I have mine set up so my two daughters always know my location and I know theirs.

Something else I have been thinking about. Along with not leaving things in plain sight in her car I would also be most worried somebody would break into my car and do damage to the car it's self. Automobiles are huge expenses and it looks like Amanda was driving a nice, new one. A $500 or $1000 deductible is a lot of money to come up with if a lock is broken or window jimmied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.