HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know who would be over the MPD? That would be a pretty local, small agency I would think and I wonder if they are equipped to handle something like this. We have so many different units that come in local, county, state, FBI. Just wondered how it works there.

borndem and Mistree like this.

2. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Garmin inReach. Worth the money. When I go backpacking (usually 2-4 day hikes) my cell phone goes on airplane mode (cell reception is spotty if you have it at all) but I always have my Garmin.

3. human

human Well-Known Member

Amanda has been living there awhile, right?

I would think she had no illusions of the reality of where she lives.

Paradise always has the real side . Living is tough unless you have money and or family.

House prices in Maui

https://www.zillow.com/maui-county-hi/home-values/

4. avid_dk

avid_dk Member

Everyone who ventures out doors should carry some kind emergency beacon. They are inexpensive and the plans aren't much either. I don't ever expect to use mine to save my life but I carry it and all kinds of emergency gear expecting to save someone else's life.

5. avid_dk

avid_dk Member

It is my understanding that the state of Hawaii has no State Police. Each island's PD is the sole agency responsible.

6. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Each county has their own police dept. Maui County comprises of Maui, Molokai and Lanai. No state police. Yes, we have a small FBI office in Wailuku (or used to). Don’t know of any agency or Police dept that oversees the County Dept.

sassyblue, borndem, human and 3 others like this.
  7. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I went back to read from the beginning. Thought some of you might be interested. https://mauinow.com/2019/05/13/six-days-missing-where-could-amanda-eller-be/

The 35-year-old physical therapist and yoga instructor was last seen by her boyfriend, Benjamin Konkol, who said Eller was meditating when he left for work at around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

“I was the last person to see her and it was Wednesday morning before I went to work,” Konkol said at a press conference that was streamed live on the Findamanda Facebook page, which was set up in the wake of her disappearance.

“We live together,” said Konkol, “And so, we woke up and spent the morning together and she was meditating when I left for work at around–Jerry [spelling?] my buddy picked me up for work at 7:30 [a.m.] and she was still in the house then. Super excited to come home and have dinner together. And it was her day off. So I didn’t–she didn’t have any plans, she didn’t know what she was going to do. And so she didn’t reach out to tell me anything.”

During the press conference, when asked if Eller had indicated if she was going to go hiking, Konkol said ‘no.’ “She originally had plans to hang out with her friend, but that friend cancelled, I think the night before, and so she basically had a wide open day. And so none of it–we went through her phone. None of the texts, none of the calls signified her going on a hike, but it’s not unlike her. She likes to spend her days off in nature. And so when she didn’t come home I figured that she’s by a waterfall, she went to the beach, she went somewhere and that’s how the cops (inaudible) finding her because they asked me where does she frequent, and Makawao Forest was the one of the things that just happened to pop into my mind. And sure enough, they found her car.”

sassyblue, borndem, human and 7 others like this.
  8. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

I wonder how much “out in the open” or “in plain view” Amanda’s purse actually was. Maybe her purse was quite small, and she sort of hid it by putting those two shopping bags over it so it couldn’t be seen.

from https://mauinow.com/2019/05/17/search-for-amanda-eller-highlights-official-timeline-media-qa/

And maybe the backpack was empty, so she didn’t think it needed to be hidden. Maybe it had held her running shoes and socks which she changed into.

Just thinking to myself plausible reasons Amanda left her belongings the way she did.

I know I have concealed from view things left in my car by throwing a jacket or other stuff to cover it from view, trying to make it look like it was casually thrown there, lol. I dunno, maybe it’s dumb of me to think I’d fool a thief, but just sayin’, that’s what I have done!

9. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

I guess he did go to work.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    human likes this.
  10. Ccging

Ccging Well-Known Member

BBM so her calendar showed her plan to go to the post office, at a specific time even, but BF says she didn’t know what she was going to do. Could be nothing but this struck me as a bit odd. IMO Could be he didn’t ask what she was going to do, though he knew her plans with her friend got cancelled.

human and windrower like this.
  11. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

Is it possible that she told him that the plans with her friend were cancelled?

human and CoolJ like this.
  12. Ccging

Ccging Well-Known Member

That’s how I read it, like she told him of her cancelled plans.

I find it strange that if he asked what she was doing that day she did not tell him of shopping and dropping off a package at the post office, when she supposedly had that put on her calendar.

Again, could be nothing, just a thought I had when I read this again.

njbchgal, borndem, HulaMum and 4 others like this.
  13. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

BBM

What a nice statement. And thank u for looking out for your fellow outdoor enthusiasts!

ETA: Oops, I meant to say “welcome” avid!

14. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

sassyblue, borndem, human and 7 others like this.
  15. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

It would be nice if there was even one verified sighting of her at or in that forest. There are an awful out of people out there looking for her to have found nothing.

I know it is harder than I think to find lost people (case in point the 2 year old that was 1800 feet from his house but it took 3 days to find him) but...

There is something about this that doesn't seem quite right.

No cell phone
    No backpack, although she brought one
    Left items out in plain view

One thing is for sure, she isn't within a few hundred feet of any marked trail or they would have her already.

I was wondering, do people set pit-traps for the hogs on the island?

sassyblue, borndem, human and 9 others like this.
  16. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

The search seems to be extremely well organized and thorough. Lots of volunteers, dog teams, experienced drone experts....
    11 days, very discouraging. No sign of Amanda whatsoever, no further scents that we know of, no discarded items, clothing, anything.
    I fear she may have ended up in the water, that is IF she is still in the park. Really starting to consider that she is not there at all.
    My heart hurts for her boyfriend, her family, and close friends.

sassyblue, MntnHiker, borndem and 9 others like this.
  17. riptide

riptide Member

I struggle with this, because I lived in Hawaii for 7 years. She clearly hikes a lot. I actually hike a lot too. She left her belongings out in the open ( inside her car...not the trunk) . No one does that anywhere, particularly Hawaii. You are asking to be robbed, period. The phone is weird too. It may be a quirk but also says how naive she was. You cannot live there, and not prepare yourself for potential injury, earthquake, or extreme rain and flash flooding. Injuries are so easy, as you are always on an incline and due to rain you can slip quickly on volcanic rock. An injury can be very serious, very easily.

18. Curiousobserver

Similar to Samantha Sayers case I fear

19. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

Yes, that has been on my mind too. No one knows what happened to Samantha.

20. Curiousobserver

That is the single thing bothering me most- leaving her things out.

I got to spend a month in Maui on a job a few years back.

Those trails are all over the island and I loved to hike. It is the most beautiful place I have ever visited.

But-

The #1 thing they warn you about at the rental car counter is smash and grab robbery.

There are signs at most popular trails.

I must have seen it perhaps 3 times in the month I was there (where I returned from a hike and a car had a window broken and its contents stolen).

I just have such a hard time thinking she left her phone, her wallet, her backpack, her shopping bags out in plain sight.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.