HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. Everyday I hope i’m Wrong and that maybe today is the day she is found and in the forest all along. But i’m Happy to hear the family has hired PI’s That may be able to investigate alternative locations she may be.
    'I miss her voice' says Raleigh woman, former roommate of missing Maui yoga teacher :: WRAL.com

cass523, borndem, human and 8 others like this.
  2. R.bread

R.bread Active Member

I believe i know the van in question... i started seeing a van matching this description a few weeks ago at one of the beaches that i frequent, off the beaten path. White van, 50's-ish dark toned man with 2 dogs. He was kind of staring at me as i walked by so i threw a shaka and a head nod... as soon as i made eye contact he was ready to engage me but i could tell i didnt want to strike up a conversation with this guy so i just kept walking. The kind of guy that tries to engage everyone that he can. Im a guy btw. He was smiley and seemed friendly enough but i didnt get the best vibe from him and have avoided him since. It wasnt a bad vibe, per se, just a weird vibe. I will contact the tip line with the location ive seen it and will get the license plate next time i see him.

3. brookesmith

brookesmith Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, she is seen on video last around 10:15am. Not sure how we know that her car actually arrived at the hiking area around noon, but if it did, what happened in those two hours prior?

4. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I’ve wondered the same. Isn’t there a way to track her phone’s locations from post office?

Hazelnutty, human, MerBeach and 4 others like this.
  5. brookesmith

I assume so, yes. Hopefully.

Hazelnutty and human like this.
  6. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I don't believe we know that her car actually arrived at noon. Do we? Rather, I thought it was seen at 12:19 in the parking area, so we might not know exactly how long it had been there at that time. Also photo timestamped at 10:21 of her car leaving the post office in Haiku. 20 minutes (about) distance to drive to that trail area. 10:21 + 20 minutes gives us 10:41. Seen at 12:19 is another 1 hour, 40 minutes. Time to park, change her shoes and head to the trail..she could have started the hike by 10:45, or so, and car may have been there all that time before the 12:19 sighting by off-duty firefighter. JMO

cass523, Razz, MntnHiker and 12 others like this.
  7. brookesmith

Sarah is really 'large and in charge' imo.

windrower, MsArk, soap mama and 2 others like this.
  8. brookesmith

Yes. I'm not sure if we know exactly when or if she arrived.

9. MuddyTires

MuddyTires Well-Known Member

Not weird!

10. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

I don't understand leaving your cell phone in the car -- what if you were running, jogging, fell and got a bad injury, or if you found someone with a bad injury and you were unable to help that person by yourself, or the person needed an ambulance? An animal or snake bite (are there snakes or other bad critters in Maui?), seizure, or broken bone, etc., etc. That's a bit worrisome for me. Was she surprised, in a bad way, when she was getting out of her car and told to leave those items in the car? Keys and phone?? Worrisome.

cass523, MerBeach, KatzEye and 2 others like this.
  11. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

Some quotes from Amanda’s mother in this May 13, 2019 Maui Alert interview

“knowing what I know about Amanda and what she likes to do, that is one of her favorite places to go. And in fact I visited her last October. I stayed here a month. And at that time her office was right down the street here in Makawao, and I dropped her off, and she suggested that I go to that particular park because it was a beautiful walk. And that was about the distance that I would like to walk too, was five miles.”

“Based on my experience when I was here last October it was about a five mile run that she was looking for, which makes that park ideal distance wise.”

“When I was here in October she always took, we always took water when we went for long hikes, so that spoke to me too, (that she left her water in the car) that she was literally out for her little five mile run and then she was going to be going home.”

“She always had a big water bottle and it’s a hydroflask kind of water bottle that we always carried with us when we went hiking.”

sassyblue, njbchgal, Traymar and 17 others like this.
  12. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

Wonder what information in known, that has not been released to the public, that makes her boyfriend Benjamin keep asserting "she is definitely in the forest.”
    (Otherwise wouldn’t you want them to look everywhere else too just in case?)

Video of ABC News, May 16, 2019 story about Amanda with a few clips of Benjamin.

13. borndem

Maybe I missed it -- trying to get caught up, not quite there yet -- did anyone see her leave the house that morning? Did anyone besides her BF see her anywhere that morning?
    Just wonderin'...

Steffannieg and Tallulah. Lakkey like this.
  14. almagata

almagata Member

I made a map of people that have been reported missing on Maui. Surprisingly, most of the people that have been reported missing and never found, went missing on the Hana, Haiku, and Makowao side of Maui rather than the more populated areas like Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kahului and Kihei.

Maui Missing - Google My Maps

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  15. borndem

Hmmm, interesting -- I understand about the vibe -- sometimes we just get those feelings for a good reason.

It's probably a good thing to contact the tip line -- you never know -- someone else may have posted something which might make your tip all the more useful, or vice versa.
    And one more thing,

Welcome to Websleuths,
    R.bread !!

16. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

No. Not that I’ve read anyway.

Tallulah. Lakkey and borndem like this.
  17. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

I’ll admit I’ve leaned toward each scenario at least once. Today though this is the one I was leaning towards. But tonight seeing the recent video footage and photos of the search area (posted on the Facebook page) makes it seem very likely she’s out there and they just haven’t found her yet. I hope they do very soon.

18. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Honestly, I’m not surprised. Thank you for that. This is the part of Maui where there’s some room for alternative lifestyle, newcomers (called transplants) arriving without millions in the bank, free spirits, any lost souls, drug issues, art and music.
    My husband moved to Kula and Makawao back in the early 70’s. He knew people, who helped him find a way in. My kids have friends in Kula.
    Upcountry and Haiku for country life. Some people come with a lot of baggage. Some come with warrants in other states. Start w new life. Bring your dreams. Some dreams don’t work out, some do.

19. borndem

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks, and

Welcome to Websleuths,
    Astro71 !!

20. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Only in the store and PO, as shown by cameras. No one has come forward who saw her after she left the post office. No one who saw her hiking that day or in the parking.
    It’s important to remember that the thing tying her to this search is the BF suggested the area to the police, and they found her car had been locked in there all night. That’s it. She herself told no one she was hiking on her day off.

Also, her running buddies have said they ran in this forest with her on the upper loop trail, which has more people, where tourists hike, and which has its own parking area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.