HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

2. borndem

bbm
    So have I, but I always take my keys and lock my car -- but I live in a city of half a million people. I hope I would never be in such a hurry that I would just leave my phone (never) and my keys (never) in plain sight. Maybe it's just me, but leaving things in plain sight like that (if that's reliable info) is difficult for me to believe. Maybe she was getting ready to put her keys and her phone in her pocket, etc., and someone scared/chased her off before she could do that. Could it be a staged scene? Or am I just a paranoid biggish-city person?

3. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you definitely missed it. There has been pictures posted of her shopping around 10:00. She then went to the post office.

4. borndem

Wow -- thanks for the great map!
    Ten people on there. Oh, my. Too many. Of course, some don't want to be found, but 10 people??

sassyblue, HaikuMommy, CoolJ and 2 others like this.
  5. borndem

Thanks for the info -- very informative to me who has never been to the islands. Seems to me, she's been living there long enuff to know to hide her stuff if she's not gonna take it with her -- put it in a backpack & put it under the seat, at least.
    And another thing,

Welcome to Websleuths,
    riptide !!

6. borndem

Excellent -- a big Thank You! That makes me feel a bit better, but I'm not sure how/why...
    It does look like her bf was indeed not the last person to see her that morning. Oh, who was?? Where is she?

cass523 and FactFinder3000 like this.
  7. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

In a way, the search like this one for Amanda is a search for all the missing on Maui. In the process, evidence could be turned up of others missing. Other than what could be buried, if they clear a search area for Amanda it can usually be cleared for the others as well. Also with each search the community gets more experienced, better procedures, and faster at responding about missing persons. This one has been amazing.
    And remember, Maui Search and Rescue is a volunteer organization. Maui Search and Rescue

8. almagata

almagata Member

I tend to believe she was abducted from the parking lot since she has not been found on the trail.

Amanda changed her slippers to running shoes and had hid her keys but she did not take her backpack, water and snacks. You don't leave your pack, water and snacks behind. I agree with riptide that a longtime local would know better than to leave valuables in plain sight at a trailhead.

I think she was interrupted by someone who may have asked her for something like to use her phone maybe because they feigned a mechanical or medical problem so she pulled her purse out from its probable hiding place under the front passenger seat to help them and then her purse was left in plain sight. She may have been grabbed from behind when she turned to get her purse.

The last thing she likely was planning on doing was putting on her backpack and shutting the car door before she hit the trail.

I hope I'm wrong......the only thing that does not make sense to me is why you would leave your keys on the tire when you were taking a backpack. Keys don't have significant weight so why not just put them in your pack?

Maybe she dropped her keys and her attacker put them on the tire after closing her car door so the scene would look normal.

This is all conjecture. I'm just running through scenarios based on the info we have to date.

sassyblue, Traymar, Flurries and 11 others like this.
  9. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Up early this morning hoping to see she was found as I slept. Unfortunately not the case, but I came across a beautiful piece on the FB page. My heart goes out to each of them. Amazing to see so much good out there when we have been overcome by so much evil in recent times. As it appears many volunteers have to return to their homes and jobs, I am praying today more than ever is the day Amanda is also brought home.
    Yesenia Estrada D'Alessandro

sassyblue, cass523, KatzEye and 3 others like this.
  10. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. All of them on your map were Caucasian, Not what would be considered “local”, except for Billy Oliveira. Just an observation.

11. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

there is video of her at the market and post office later that morning.

human likes this.
  12. human

human Well-Known Member

sassyblue, cass523, La Louve and 2 others like this.
  13. brookesmith

brookesmith Well-Known Member

Yes. An off duty firefighter apparently saw her car around noon at the trail. This seems like a red herring or something to me. It just doesn't ring completely true. JMO

14. DissociativeFugue

DissociativeFugue Well-Known Member

I really think this was some type of accident. I’m thinking the reason she hasn’t been found is because she is somewhere like in a crevice or something that is hard to get to that searchers haven’t come across or missed. Poor thing. I feel she is no longer alive; but hey, we have seen miracles happen before. The fact that there has been no response from searchers calling out is not good though. I think the BF is quirky and perhaps awkward but my gut tells me he isn’t involved. RE: The creepy White Car Dude ... I don’t know what to think about that.

15. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

Although like I have mentioned previously a few things have made me think more and more that it may be foul play, in keeping an open mind to other possibilities, I am reminded of people like Sam Sayers (mentioned above) and also Paul Miller. He went missing in Joshua Tree NP last July and has not yet been found. There was actually just a recent search for him again. A witness passed him on the trail and it was a popular, pretty straight-forward trail but...no Paul.

I don't want to make this about other cases, but just bringing in an example of other hikers who actually were spotted on the trail (there was a video taken by hikers with Sam Sayers in the background) and haven't been found. Of course, foul play can't be totally ruled out in either of their cases, either. I don't know, just something to think about. I hope whatever has happened to Amanda, that she is found soon.

16. HelpingHeart

HelpingHeart Well-Known Member

Is that forest heavily populated with hikers all day? If she were injured, would someone have heard it?

17. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

She must have arrived..her car was there. I'm not buying the sometimes mentioned theory that someone staged her car by leaving it there. For that to have occurred, it means someone had to come across Amanda sometime after she left the PO at 10:21am and before her car was spotted in the parking area just after noon. Also someone had to take the time to take off her flip flops (slippahs as you say there), and then put her sneakers on her..plus leave her flip flips, cell phone and purse on the front floorboard and backpack and water bottle on the front passenger seat, take her keys and put them under her front tire and then....after that, what did this person do with Amanda? I do believe if something nefarious happened to her, it happened after she drove to the forest persevere, either in the parking lot or on the trail. All IMO

sassyblue, Mizzamzz, cass523 and 8 others like this.
  18. brookesmith

brookesmith Well-Known Member

But we don't know that she was there. (at Noon) A fireman said he saw her car, apparently. Maybe he was mistaken or worse, lying.

The only time police are vague in the press conference is here

WAS THERE ANY RECORD OF REPEATED CALLS THAT EVENING?: “We’re still in the process of going through her phone and parsing the data,” said Det. Clifton.

and here

IS THERE A POSSIBILITY SHE WAS NOT IN THE CAR ALONE?: “We’re considering everything that we can at this point,” said AC Ramos.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/17/search-for-amanda-eller-highlights-official-timeline-media-qa/

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

You make good points about these two being seen. Sam Sayers and Paul Miller have had tons of people, dogs, drones, etc searching for them almost from the moment they went missing. At least by the end of the same day for Sam and within a few hours for Paul. Nothing - no clues, no evidence of clothing, camera, backpacks...Sam seen on video and Paul by a witness coming back on the same trail Paul was hiking out on. Dogs found his scent all the way to the Oasis he was hiking to according to a statement made recently by family.
    I still believe in both those case, (as well as Amanda for the most part), that these hikers were lost on the trails they were traveling...either by going off trail and becoming lost, or by falling into an area that is difficult to access. All JMO, on all 3 cases.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  20. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Her car was still there at the end of that same day, noticed by a park employer when he was locking the gate. In fact, he called it in as is protocol to do when someone's car is still there and gate is about to be locked. I even read on official FB page that he walked to the trail head and up a bit to see if anyone was returning. Seems he didn't want to lock someone's car in there for the night.

IOW, how else did her car get there? Do you have another theory? I can't see (what I mentioned before) someone planting her car, there as well as someone else changing her shoes . Flip flops seen on her in grocery store were in the car and her running shoes were missing.

La Louve and almagata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.