HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Expand the search area? I think they have been. I personally don’t think she is anywhere in that forest but if she is then I think she’s not far from where she started and she’s been missed due to the density. They need to retrace their tracks where she could have been covered by something and missed.
    She stopped for water and snack, she took a backpack, she had this backpack ready to go in front seat next to her. I think her intention was to go hiking. Without the backpack I don’y Think she went far. Perhaps she changed her mind and decided to go for a run instead but then I would suspect she’s not too far from where she started. Just don’t think with her experience she would be too far from the search zone without her backpack.

La Louve, human, otto and 5 others like this.

2. Momof4RN

I don’t Remember that ever being said. In fact, her mom mentioned when she visited her for a month in October it was a location close to her work and a place she went to often for a 5 mile run.

KiKiD72, Alohaj, human and 6 others like this.
  3. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I wanted to pull this post back up from pages back.

[​IMG]

4. T_mar

T_mar Well-Known Member

Maybe this can be answered by someone familiar with the trail.
    But people were saying earlier in this thread that where she parked was not typical of where she would normally have gone for runs in that forest. That there is an upper and lower parking lot. Is it a loop? Could if have been possible that she had her car in this spot but wanted to start up a different area for the hike? Possibly hitching a ride to the other parking area and then making her way down (or up) back to her car?

borndem, otto and Razz like this.
  5. mikeymagee

mikeymagee New Member

I agree. And none of your personal belongings went with you. I’m an avid hiker as well and no matter what I’m doing, i always have my phone and water with me.

Amanda seems like a really bright and smart gal. To me, it seems too fishy for her to vanish without anything on her and have it totally visible in her car.

I know the BF has been cleared but he is the strangest guy when being interviewed. It could all just be shock and lack of sleep though.

6. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

Maybe she likes to remind herself so she does not forget. Jmo.

7. iluvmua

I think it is just a part of his personality. Jmo.

DissociativeFugue likes this.
  8. brookesmith

brookesmith Well-Known Member

HulaMum likes this.
  9. iluvmua

I do not think anyone staged anything.

I think whatever happened to Amanda happened when she was already in the parking lot. JMO.

Mizzamzz, HaikuMommy, HulaMum and 3 others like this.
  10. Momof4RN

Yes still a good possibility she fell while running and injured herself. Ones first instinct is to find shelter so perhaps she managed to crawl somewhere for coverage. Again I don’t think she would be far from where she started so if I were to be searching I would go back and look for places that one would seek shelter.

11. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the trails, other than what has been posted here by searchers, some locals and the police/media articles. So I will try to help you with what I've learned.

Two parking lots - upper has access to a loop trail which is more popular and often used by Amanda. Lower pl has access to hunting trails, where pigs are hunted on weekends with use of trained dogs. Not as popular for hikers, but supposedly used before by Amanda. No way to know if she parked in lower lot and hiked off upper lot, but that would seem like extra walking. IMO Possible she tried hunting trail from lower lot and found it to be too muddy or slippery and then just walked up to the upper lot and that trail. With all the searching going on, wherever she hiked, if she hiked, it's just difficult to understand why no sign, scent, evidence or her on any trails.

Maps are posted here back on thread of the loop and @otto was able to find a map of hunting trails as well.

j_in_c, otto, HulaMum and 2 others like this.
  12. Momof4RN

Looks like FBI is now involved so they must now be looking more into foul play and concerned someone was in car with her. hopefully they can get more information and leads sooner rather than later. I’m not able to figure out how to attach the FB post but info was just posted within the last 30min.

13. Tallulah. Lakkey

Tallulah. Lakkey Well-Known Member

When she standing by the balloons in the grocery store does it look to anyone else like she's texting?

DissociativeFugue likes this.
  14. CA*Sunflower

CA*Sunflower Member

Initially I felt that the bf was suspicious, but he has been cleared. Based on the time that he contacted authorities, I am assuming that he thought 24 hrs was the rule for reporting a missing person. His call was 24 hrs from the last time that he saw her. He is very odd, for sure. Some people are saying that is par for the course with his lifestyle. As someone who used to be an active member of the hippie/spiritualist community (and who spent all of my time in Maui hanging out in Haiku/Makawao, even though most of our family is in Kihei) I would like to disagree, but it certainly is true - if you are socially awkward, being in a counterculture community you find more acceptance. I feel bad for being so suspicious of him initially. I am likely more socially awkward than I would like to admit to myself. ;)

At this point I am hoping that more is being done to look at abduction than is being reported, because that is sounding pretty plausible to me at this point.

15. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

The FBI is digging deep into Amanda‘s car technology and mobile technology . . .
    Findamanda
    [...] VIDEO at link
    32 minutes ago ·
    NEW WIDER FOOTAGE REQUEST
    If you have a security camera pointing toward the street *anywhere* in Makawao or Haiku, or along the Hana highway from Jaws toward Kahului, all major highways (ie 369, 394), we ask that you please save May 8 from 5 AM to 8 PM. Please do not let this footage loop and get recorded over. The FBI is digging deep into Amanda‘s car technology and mobile technology and we hope to have more information on her car’s route soon. Once we do, we’re going to need footage for the corresponding areas - so please save all footage now, no matter what street you live on. A list of streets needed will be provided in the coming days. It will be a huge help if we can figure out locations, but once we do, we we will also need footage to know who was in the car. If your cameras face the street, please do not let your footage get recorded over, please save it asap/now.
    [...]

16. Momof4RN

Thanks! Here’s to praying they find the answers that lead to her soon!

17. brookesmith

brookesmith Well-Known Member

Somewhat odd comment posted by one of Amanda's relatives on FB.

Tallulah. Lakkey likes this.
  18. iluvmua

HLN just said LE does not think Amanda is a victim of foul play and that her live in boyfriend is not a suspect in her disappearance.

19. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Even if she was running or hiking on a less-traveled trail, she would still be on some sort of trail. She seems like a responsible, intelligent person from her family's comments. I can't believe she was bush-wacking herself a new path while running. So if you're on a trail and you get incapacitated, you're still on or near the trail... somebody finds you if hundreds of people are looking at all the trails.

La Louve, Tallulah. Lakkey and CoolJ like this.
  20. Bat Girl

Bat Girl Member

I remember reading a friend that hiked with her did say that leaving her belongings in her vehicle in that manner was not like her. I'm fairly certain she said hiding her belongings inside the interior or the trunk was what she witnessed Amanda doing on those types of outings.

Mizzamzz, jash, GarAndTeed and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.