HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I know LE said they were processing her car. Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get results of someone else’s dna or fingerprints from back seat if there was a random person there at any point during the day?

2. book-thinker

book-thinker Well-Known Member

Reason I’m asking, she seems like a good person and would pickup someone
    hitchhiking. Not realizing he preys on females.
    Interested to know how many
    people live off the radar on this this island.

Tallulah. Lakkey, human and cass523 like this.
  3. R.bread

R.bread Active Member

Hitchhiking between haiku/huelo and paia is very common for people living in those areas. The bus route just runs along the main rd(hana hwy) and ends at haiku community center so many bus commuters have to walk/hitch the rest of their way home. Not suggesting that's what happened, just that hitchhiking is common on maui.

Traymar, Flurries, HulaMum and 11 others like this.
  4. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

What I meant is, if this scruffy guy seen in the white van or anyone saw her wallet, felt for the key under her car, got some money out and locked the car back up, his DNA would be on the wallet. Someone said they thought he was casing the parking lot before this happened. Easy way for him to get some money especially since she left the wallet out for everyone to see.

Traymar, jash, HelpingHeart and 4 others like this.
  5. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I’d have to go back over LE statement again. I know it was said she paid for her stuff at market with cash. I know LE said her credit cards and ID were in her wallet. Not sure if they mentioned any additional cash.

jash, human and cass523 like this.
  6. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I don’t think people that live here would necessarily agree with you, I know I don’t.

Of the 10 on the map the poster provided (which was awesome by the way), only 1 has had any remains found (and those were partial, without going into details), and only 1 conviction. And the finding of those body parts was in large part, IMO opinion, because of a phone app the deceased had that shares your location with people you’ve connected on the app to (Life 360 app), so they knew what general area to look.

Some personal belongings of another were found, and she was the only one not last seen in either “upcountry” (That’s what We on Maui call Kula, Makawao, Olinda, Haiku area) or Hana Area. Why so many in those areas? They are remote, there’s lots of jungle, and they are much more likely to never have somebody be found.

Additionally, there’s not much publicized about the people who disappear that are homeless, Or have no family or friends to report the missing. In our local newspaper, there are periodically notices that there are anywhere from 5 to 10 unidentified and/or unclaimed bodies held at the morgue. Some they have identified, and have a list of their names, and some are John or Jane Does. The other day there was a notice with five of them, with their height, age or approximate age, Eye color, any other distinguishing things (like tattoos) unless the body was too decomposed, which had been listed on a few of them the other day. The articles will also include a date at which the bodies will be disposed of (cremated) if they are not claimed. I’ve seen these notices many times.

La Louve, jash, Flurries and 15 others like this.
  7. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

I'd be likely to lock my purse on the floor of my car, but I'd never pick up a single male hitchhiker to take with me to a quiet trailhead. Everybody's different.

HaikuMommy, sassyblue, human and 4 others like this.
  8. otto

otto Verified Expert

If she finished her shopping at roughly 10:30 and it's a 20 minute drive to the trail, it's possible that she arrived at 11AM. If a white van was seen at the park at 12:15, and no one saw her on the trails, doesn't that mean that if something happened at the moment that she arrived, then the white van had nothing to do with her disappearance?

9. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

So agree

10. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

BBM: Just because a white van may have been seen at that time, doesn't rule out it being their prior or after IMO.

Tallulah. Lakkey, cass523 and kay74 like this.
  11. FlamingoLady

FlamingoLady Well-Known Member

She also went to the post office which, I believe, was after shopping. That would put her at the trail later.

12. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

My daughter hikes that forest regularly because she lives in the area, and has never hiked it without seeing at least one other person.

13. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

Correct. Shopping, then PO

Tallulah. Lakkey and cass523 like this.
  14. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

My phone alarm just went off to remind myself to make a lei today for my grandson’s music performance tonight. So I don’t find it odd either, I put all kinds of things in my phone calendar and alarm so I don’t forget

15. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Agree with all of your post, mikey -- I don't know her BF, and we're seeing him under strange and possibly very sad circumstances, but his affect seems off -- but mine would be too, I'm sure. Unsettling.
    No water -- it doesn't weigh much, it's not uncomfortable -- always, always -- you never know when you or someone else might be struggling and need a drink. Some other hiker might have dropped his/hers or drunk all of it and is in bad shape. Same with phone -- there could be a family emergency, or one on the path you're taking, or you could be the emergency.
    It's just odd, isn't it?

And another thing,

Welcome to Websleuths,
    mikeymagee !!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  16. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Depends on the queue in the lab. The actual time to perform the test is roughly 3 hours if the sample is easy to prep (hair or saliva etc...). What takes so long is getting it to the lab, identifying what is a sample, and getting in line with all the other samples.

17. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I admit to kind of getting lost in DNA conversations. I know it's a hot topic because many cold cases are being solved because of it and convictions happen based on it. But I also don't think it works like many people think it does (I blame tv :))

If my wallet was swabbed (fingerprints), you of course would find mine, and that of a few family members. But you would also potentially find the woman at Target who scanned the wallet that I purchased, along with the very nice man who picked my wallet up when I dropped it going through the checkout line. The inside of my car would have loved ones and friends, along with the man who drove my car for a maintenance check last week.

Now, if you looked in my car and found traces of blood or other bodily fluids, now we're talking about something different. All my opinion.

18. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

19. otto

otto Verified Expert

She finished her shopping and post-office errands by 10:30.

20. otto

otto Verified Expert

Without an identified suspect, DNA is useless.

Flurries and AzPistonsGirl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.