HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

This is a perfect way to explain it one sentence. Thank you!

Flurries, otto and Suglo like this.

2. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

It doesn't work like TV unless you have a defined sample like cheek swab, semen, blood, tissue etc. For those samples, where you have lots of 1 kind of DNA, you can have a result in 90 minutes and a complete sequence in a few hours (assuming you have the labs full attention). If you have to go sifting through the detritus in the backseat of some random car looking for fibers that don't belong then you can be looking at weeks of a fully dedicated person and results that will be mostly disappointing.

Razz, cass523, K9Enzo and 2 others like this.
  3. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

If they get a stranger's DNA they run a scan on it for anyone that has a record. If they suspect someone, they can get their DNA off a napkin, cigarette, etc to match it.

human and cass523 like this.
  4. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson Well-Known Idiot

Do you know if they said the wallet was left out in the car for everyone to see? I know I read that her wallet was in the car, but I hadn't seen mention made of where exactly. She could have had it in the center console or glove box and it wouldn't be visible from outside of the car.

cass523 and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  5. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

I thought it was mentioned it was left out.

cass523 likes this.
  6. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

Regarding the water, we don't know if she had another bottle or a small flask with water when she went on the hike, run.
    And maybe she didn't plan on being out there very long.

Also, seems to me that if she picked up a hitchhiker who harmed her, or that someone at the parking lot abducted her, then that perp would have stolen the wallet as well. I dunno...

7. Elsa Johanssen

Elsa Johanssen Well-Known Member

Can you tell me where you saw this reported? Wonder if there was any foul play in her neighborhood..

cass523 likes this.
  8. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Yep, it's very frustrating -- could this whole thing be a set-up, and she's many miles from the search site? Certainly possible.
    The only argument I could give you on this would be that there are probably a lot of scents in those hiking areas. Dunno. A search for a 2 year old child, using locals, other people from farther out, LE and SAR teams and dogs got nowhere for 2 days, and then a bloodhound got a scent and they followed it, calling for him and they heard him crying, and finally found him alive -- but the other dogs could not get a scent. The big deal of it was that they did not give up.

This one is worrisome to me, too. It's been a long time...

Found Safe - KY - Kenneth Howard, 22mths, Salyersville, 12 May 2019

9. FlamingoLady

FlamingoLady Well-Known Member

I wonder if she bought anything that needed refrigeration during her shopping trip. If so, you'd expect her to make a quick trip home to drop it off before her hike, IMO.

10. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

SandBBM: I am giving this theory more and more of my energy.

11. ocleary17

ocleary17 Member

Guilty people have passed lie detector tests, innocent people have failed. It depends on the type of person you have in the chair. Also, a common technique used by LE is to publicly say a certain POI is “no longer a suspect” or “has been cleared” it gets the person to relax, let their guard down, which allows LE to get closer to the person and surveil them, and may stop them from lawyering up. Not saying bf is guilty, just a theory. Just hope they find that poor girl.

12. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

She didn't get anything that needed refrigeration.

She bought an energy bar and a few boxes of dry tea from what the Findamanda fb page said.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    jash, cass523 and borndem like this.
  13. iluvmua

They have never come out and publicly called the BF a POI or a Suspect, at one time, I am sure they looked into the possibility of him being one.

But at The PC, LE said that he took and passed a polygraph test and said he has been cleared for now.

That is good enough for me.

14. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Same here, not Facebook account and can’t see comments. Can only see posts, pics, video

15. erk

erk Member

I don't have an account either. I clicked the link in your post. Underneath the image it says "168 comments" - click that and it will (should) open the comments.

cpeacock1 likes this.
  16. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I have never seen anyone who looked like A tourist hitchhiking. Any tourist that would hitchhike would be more of your camper/free spirit type of people. I’ve been here on Maui over 40 years, and we used to have a lot of hitchhikers. I believe we still have some, but very few that I see compared to back then. In the old days we also had no bus system, and now we do, it’s only two dollars per ride (unless it went up recently)

17. iluvmua

Has anyone made a timeline?

dmcbrickster likes this.
  18. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Police said it was in the purse along with credit cards and phone, purse was on the floorboard and was visible to anyone who looked in the window. They specifically mentioned the car did not have tinting and it was visible if someone looked.

CoolJ, jash, Flurries and 6 others like this.
  19. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

20. Bat Girl

Bat Girl Member

I've tried to remember. I heard or read that a few days ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.