HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almagata

almagata Member

I'm not sure why there are so many more people who live upcountry that have gone missing but with the sparse population, rough terrain, dense foliage and ocean, I can understand why they are less likely not to be found.

I did check Namus for unidentified bodies on Maui as well. I did not find any records listed so Maui PD must not be entering the unidentified people cases in the national database yet. I believe they just started entering the missing people in Namus recently.

The homeless population is a hard one for all communities to manage. Many have mental health and substance abuse issues. Many have lost contact with family and when they pass away, they often do not have id and are known by only nicknames or first names. If the homeless don't have finger prints in a national database or if they are too decomposed to obtain finger prints, it is hard for the coroner to find their names. The good news is that with Social Media, many of these lost souls are being identified by scores of volunteers that work to identify them. Hopefully, Maui will start entering these unidentified people in Namus so these volunteers can go to work.

HaikuMommy, j_in_c and Suglo like this.
  2. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

It means "at".

3. iluvmua

I have never heard of a case where LE has never called a person a suspect and then said they were cleared when they actually were not.

4. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Agree, and it needed to get there before MD because no Sunday delivery.
    These tiny rural post offices in Hawaii only have outgoing mail picked up once a day, which is at the same time they bring the incoming mail, from my experience.
    If you let it slip your mind, and miss the pickup (many are at 11 AM, but I don’t know the Haiku hours), then it’s either drive to Kahalui or Wailuku or it goes out next day.
    So she needed to get it done before going off to enjoy her day off, not sure why that would be odd to note so as to get a reminder.

Rural_PC, HaikuMommy, HulaMum and 7 others like this.
  5. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned that the mother and father were in the Caribbean, I wasn’t aware of that so that could explain it easily.

I’ve been on cruises to the Caribbean (and elsewhere), and although I bring my phone with me I do not buy the Internet package onboard, partly because it’s expensive and partly because I just want to relax . I keep my phone on part of the time to take pictures and videos, but I turn off data/roaming & put my phone in airplane mode, otherwise if you pick up signals in international waters you can incur outrageous charges even for incoming texts. If I go onshore when we dock in Port, then there’s usually coffee shops and restaurants that offer free Internet, & I might check it, but on the days when there’s just cruising and no ports then I am unreachable. I let people know beforehand that I will not be available to be reached during the duration of my cruise, because I also have clients that might contact me and I don’t want them to think I’m not getting back to them.

So that doesn’t surprise me at all that someone would not be able to be reached for a couple days if they were on a cruise/or out of country. And I believe that the time difference would be six hours, same as East Coast, from Hawaii, in the Caribbean? Maybe Actual time difference would vary if it’s east or west Caribbean? That also could be a factor In any communication or lack of.

Just my experience & opinion, everyone is different.

6. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Good point, but if she knew her parents were out of town then it wouldn’t really matter that it got there exactly on Mother’s Day, but I know I would certainly do it on my day off versus a day when I had other obligations like work.

7. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

so what is the significance of putting (or not putting) the P.O. errand in her calendar? What am I missing? That is is so odd to do that it must have been someone else who did it? to throw off whom? What is the significance when we know she was there for sure (at the P.O.)? If she did not enter it, but someone else did, why? Are we re-hashing every single detail? (which is ok too, that's how we find the dependencies)

Maljako, wary, Simply Caustic and 2 others like this.
  8. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Well, I don’t know if I agree with that. And one of the other missing cases here on Maui, someone involved was a POI, but they were allowed to leave the island. I heard that they were recently either brought back to the island as a suspect or are being sought.

Traymar and Mistree like this.
  9. darmela

darmela Well-Known Member

Quick question guys, and my apologies if it's already been answered:

Has it been said exactly WHERE Amanda's cell phone was when they found it? I'm assuming it was in her purse but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

10. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I have a definitive answer for you, but an example usually goes like this.
    -LE says family is cooperating then one becomes POI.
    -LE says we don’t have any suspects or POI at this time, then later a person or persons well publicly suspected becomes a POI.
    I am not an attorney nor LE but I believe there is careful consideration given for legal reasons before naming someone as a POI or suspect.
    LE May very well suspect a person or people, even polygraph them, but either don’t or can’t name them suspects or POI until a certain point in their investigation.

11. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you’ve read all the posts, but many on here including myself have posted that we do put mundane errands & things on our calendars. I do it all the time so that I can be sure to remember. For things far in the future I put them in my calendar, but if they’re in the next week I will often put them in my alerts. I will then go back and clear my alerts so that I don’t get an alert the next week on that same day for an item I’ve already taken care of. For instance, today on my alerts was post office, and make a lei for my grandson. I put the time on my calendar that Aren’t necessarily WHEN I am going to do them, but at a time I would be inclined to not forget to do them.

Different people do things different ways, And some of us have better memories than others. Mine is not so good LOL

Traymar, CoolJ, MerBeach and 4 others like this.
  12. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they have gotten any information on where the car Amanda was driving went that morning? It's a new vehicle with all the latest GPS information so that should be coming in soon. I noticed they have also picked up their request for homeowners with video cameras on their homes to please save and turn them in. A needle in a haystack. I also wonder where else they have searched. I'm sure LE would never tell just where they have gone or are going with search warrants if they are lead elsewhere by GPS info.

13. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Agree absolutely. And some of the people on Maui with missing family, one of their big complaints is that LE here on Maui does not keep an accurate webpage that is up to date or accurate at all ... some people are never listed, some are listed that have since been found, etc. It’s been unfortunate. Perhaps that has been resolved and that webpage is better, I don’t know.

HaikuMommy and Suglo like this.
  14. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 Well-Known Member

Amanda's mom said Amanda carried a flask with her when she went hiking. I'm not a hiker but if she went for a run would she carry it with her ? Water gets heavy after a while. Flask sounds to me like metal but maybe she had a lighter weight one.

Traymar, Mistree, Suglo and 1 other person like this.
  15. AzPistonsGirl

I absolutely have read everything here, and I understand what you are saying but what is the significance to Amanda? If she did enter it onto her calendar, what significance is that? If she did not enter it, what significance might that have? I don't need to know everyone's habits, just need to know what the significance is so we can move on. What scenario plays out either way that is significant to finding Amanda?

16. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I honestly don’y Remember anymore what the significance of that was. I think it came up prior to us knowing that she’s actually was at the PO that morning in the 10am hour which changed the initial timeline of when she was thought to have arrived at the forest. There was speculation someone added the PO stop after the fact to throw off the timeline. But we now know she was there so it’s a mute point IMO

17. AzPistonsGirl

exactly. Thanks.

18. iluvmua

Purse

jash, KiKiD72 and darmela like this.
  19. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Yes in her purse on floor of passenger side

jash, darmela and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  20. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

Good question. It sounds like Amanda and mom hiked together but didn’t run together. I will carry water hiking but not when on a run.

Traymar, HaikuMommy, CoolJ and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.