HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

I just read that story for the first time today. Heartbreaking.

2. Advocate4

Advocate4 Well-Known Member

Amanda appeared to have been wearing yoga pants. Someone upthread had commented that the pants she was wearing in the video shots would have been "too long" for hiking or a run, would have gotten wet, muddy at hems, etc. Was she known to hike or run in yoga pants? If not, then maybe she had running shorts on under the yoga pants.

Where are the yoga pants?

jash likes this.
  3. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

Maybe once she placed the key on/under the tire, she went ahead and pushed the lock button on the still-open doors, so that the doors would lock *as soon as they were closed* -- and then if she were interrupted and someone else closed the doors, they locked. I might do something like that as I'm getting my things ready, just to make sure I remember to lock the doors -- and with the key hidden outside the car she could always get back in if she inadvertently closed the door before she was ready.

Traymar and puakenikeni like this.
  4. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

I keep asking this same question. I'm hopeful the FBI is asking this question. Surely, they are. Right? Right?

Bat Girl, CoolJ, HulaMum and 6 others like this.
  5. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Yes, he stated that about giving the list in the Mother’s Day Q&A video.
    In a more recent video, he describes going to this forest with Amanda, his first and maybe only time with her, could have been at any time since they got together, because he didn’t specify. This is where he commented that Amanda didn’t yet know the place. That doesn’t mean she didn’t get to know it well after this trip.
    It’s a little hard to parse the way he tells a story.

What I heard was she was figuring out he place as she drove. I know there is one way to drive into a place I know by heart, know exactly where a I want to turn to get to the parking I want, and another way if it’s new or almost new to me and I’m looking around where to turn and where is the parking I want.

Clearly from what her mother said, the two women explored it quite a bit during Mom’s visit, which I’m guessing was after the visit Ben described.

6. puakenikeni

I didn’t recognize this neighbor report when I read it. Does anyone know the source? Prior official reports said that she was last seen at 7:30 am when Ben left for work, by Ben. This was the last personal report, not counting the video found later.

There was a neighbor who said she saw police at the house on Wed., who was confused on the date, which was Thursday for the police. But where is this statement about Amanda seen leaving the house? I admit I haven’t read all the new comments on FindAmanda. They are getting harder for me to find.

windrower likes this.
  7. cluciano63

cluciano63 Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine an abductor leaving car key anyplace hidden, perched, etc...sounds like she did that. If she was grabbed at or near car, the keys would be in ignition, or on the ground, imo.

I can’t say for sure I would hide my items inside my car, if it had an alarm especially. Most cars seem to, so maybe she figured no one would smash her windows...seems like people were about, since she was seen, I think? Anyway...not seeing anything weird in any of that part. Seems more likely she is lost and/or injured but jmo.

SaintGirl, sassyblue, Suglo and 3 others like this.
  8. T_mar

T_mar Well-Known Member

Possibly writing the Mother’s day cars in the car? Checking emails? Gas? But an hour and a half is a long time. They’ve got to be on it

Rural_PC and human like this.
  9. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

More than likely she had an accident and they have just not found her yet. Jmo.

10. puakenikeni

I was well aware of Maui’s rep for smashed car windows if you go for a hike, twenty years ago. The theft problem in Hawaii has only gotten worse.

However, if a person believes that not recognizing the bad in the world is a form of warding it off, which she might, then maybe she wasn’t concerned. I don’t know her personally.

The key was under the tire. MPD said under, Sarah H said under, the media report said under. So can we please just write off the “top of the tire” comments which are more based on what posters do themselves, as in, O yeah, I always do that, top of the tire.

All the police and media reports say car key, singular, not her key ring, keys.

11. Auntie Cipation

I'm wondering about her being remembered by the post office staff. Earlier in the thread a local said that's a very small post office. I would think that in addition to the video sighting, the postal employee would have remembered/confirmed seeing her, making that the "last seen" rather than the bf at the house in the morning.

Now maybe that is the case and it's just not been released to the public...

sassyblue, human, KiKiD72 and 2 others like this.
  12. puakenikeni

Something I don’t understand is the manual locking people keep mentioning, after placing the key (theory).

I always lock my Honda with my key fob. And my car will absolutely not lock if any door is ajar in any way. It’s a feature to prevent locking the keys in the car. Her 2015 Rav4 would allow manual locking?

Regardless, all the analysis makes me feel like she didn’t get grabbed at the car by a stranger. I think someone who knew her habits could have left the car like that, but there’s no evidence that happened either.

Giving the wrong person a ride could account for it, maybe. Being taken by surprise shortly into the trail, could happen.

If giving a ride, that person didn’t have a car, but yet didn’t steal her car or her stuff.

sassyblue and human like this.
  13. puakenikeni

One would think. I was puzzled someone in her friend group didn’t go follow that up and post any result as soon as they got the video and time stamp on the package.

I’m also surprised there’s no statement from the Haiku store.

Traymar, sassyblue, human and 3 others like this.
  14. Auntie Cipation

I have two vehicles of recent vintage; neither has a fob (to my great delight as I don't like them).

One of them I can physically push the lock column on each door while that door is open, and it will lock that door when I close it.

The other vehicle is more electronic, and has a lock/unlock button on the driver's door console. If I hit "lock" while the door is open (ie as I get out), it will lock both doors when I close the door.

I'm sure there are a million configurations of vehicle lock styles, and I've never had a car with a fob-key, so I can't speak to that. Can only say that the above is possible on at least some vehicles.

15. SpanishMossAntiques

SpanishMossAntiques Well-Known Member

Amanda's trail-running friends were interviewed and they all stated that they simply leave their belongings in their cars, and that they all hide the key under a tire - this is standard, everyday practice for them. The police verified this. Now, can we move on from the key/backpack locations please?

16. SpanishMossAntiques

SpanishMossAntiques Well-Known Member

Others have said that she couldn't possibly have gone running because she did not bring a water bottle with her. Personally, I know many runners who don't bring one with them - especially if they're going to be running a trail that they're familiar with that is only maybe 5 miles or so.

Traymar, Rural_PC, cass523 and 6 others like this.
  17. puakenikeni

I don’t think the recent question was whether she would hide the key, but whether an abductor would know to stage it that way.

Did the police interview all her trail running friends? The only ones who seemed to be talking to police around when they found the car were Ben and Sarah, and then later her mother. Not that I’m questioning Amanda did it when hiking.
    Or whether the car would be locked if she were attacked in some way after hiding the key but before locking the car.

CoolJ, human, MerBeach and 1 other person like this.
  18. puakenikeni

that was me except I wasn’t saying they were too long for run or hike, no clue wha she ran in. I was replying to someone who was talking about going off trail to scramble through streams. I just meant if I intended to walk through streams I wouldn’t wear below the knee pants.

Walking in close-fitting wet pants can give one an irritating rash pretty quickly in this climate. But sure it can happen without a plan. I just didn’t think it would be planned that way to wear this to go stream wading.

The yoga pants in the video don’t appear to have room for shorts underneath.

sassyblue, Advocate4 and CoolJ like this.
  19. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

I have never hiked around Makawao, but I know for myself, whenever I've hiked near streams off Hana Hwy, like Waikamoi Stream, and worn shorts, I've always gotten covered in mosquito bites, just horribly, on my legs. I would always try to wear cargo pants, leggings/yoga pants, or even jeans just to have my legs covered for that reason.

I really hope we get some information soon. This case is super emotionally exhausting, day after day, wanting so much for this poor girl to be found. And just...nothing. Something's got to give soon. So many people are so invested in her welfare. It's starting to become crazy-making.

Traymar, HaikuMommy, cass523 and 12 others like this.
  20. erk

erk Member

Regarding the car locking mechanism... I'm pretty sure some newer cars have the ability to lock themselves as a safety mechanism. I just researched this and 2010 models of the Rav4 will lock itself, so it wouldn't surprise me if her 2015 model could lock itself, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.