HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Thanks erk:). Appreciate that.
    I hear you Moxie, and I don’t think shorts are the right clothes either, like you say.
    That jungle from the search video looks just like my old gulch on my land. Not fun to walk around in off trail. The tall trees part looks great.

Honestly I would not wear knit pants to go off trail either. The sticks and branches would snag and catch. Cargo pants, chinos, jeans that can handle some sticks would be better. Then you take them off to swim.
    Quality yoga apparel costs money and why would she thrash it?

2. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

The more I read from Maui locals on this, almost everyone agrees on hiding their stuff. In my 15 years in Hawaii, I would never never leave my purse in view, especially not in trail parking. Which friends make this claim?

La Louve, jash, cass523 and 7 others like this.
  3. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

on a Toyota all you need to do is touch the handle with the keyfob outside the car near the door and the doors lock.

4. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

When I first watched the police press conference and heard that the purse and backpack were visible in the vehicle, my gut reaction was that it was very suspicious they had not been stolen out of the vehicle, especially while parked there overnight. But upon thinking about it further, it’s a relatively low number of people that would have been in that lot in the less than 24hrs the vehicle was there, and a lower number that might peer into someone else's car, and a lower number that might be tempted to break in, and a lower number that would not be deterred by the likelihood a newer vehicle would have an alarm.
    Amanda was most likely not intending for the vehicle to be parked there for more than a few hours and certainly not overnight.

I suppose with what we know/don’t know at this time, it’s possible her phone was placed in the vehicle by someone other than Amanda. It’s even possible it was placed there closer to the time the police recovered the vehicle. I’m not saying it’s likely - just possible.

5. MauiCare

Regarding breaking into a vehicle for a purse - a lot of people don’t want to steal a phone or credit cards because they can be easily traced. Same thing for a newer vehicle with OnStar.

cass523 and cpeacock1 like this.
  6. SpanishMossAntiques

SpanishMossAntiques Well-Known Member

The police did not name them (they interviewed a number of her 'running' friends) - but I would not be listing their names anyway as they're not suspects in the case (printing their names here would be against the WS rules).

cass523 and human like this.
  7. MauiCare

Reviewing all video in the areas near the Hunter’s trail and as far away as the Hana highway, etc. can hopefully produce a list of vehicles/plates/drivers that left the area and which direction they went, especially in case any had Amanda in them. If there is foul play, video that shows a suspect driving in the area on that date would be good evidence.

8. Mizzamzz

Mizzamzz Member

For some reason I can’t “search” within the Findamanda Facebook page, which is frustrating me to no end.

But it was my understanding that the neighbour said that Amanda’s car was still there at 8.30am, not that she left the house at 8.30am (though I believe this was 2nd hand info from someone who knew the neighbour).

But I can’t search the group to verify this info.

9. human

human Well-Known Member

It is interesting that so many people leave their keys by a tire. I am sure now every thief knows that.

I read an article about burglars in the house. They know every hiding spot such as the freezer.

Anywhere there are tourists is a thieve’s paradise.

Traymar, jash, cass523 and 4 others like this.
  10. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Hoping FBI comes up with some good leads today. Would love to hear that the phone in her car was her work phone and she in fact had a personal phone on her that died but they were able to track her location just prior to it dying. Which hopefully places her in that forest and gives them a better indicator of where to search.

11. Momof4RN

It’s frustrating to me that it’s taking almost 2 weeks to track her phone. I can go into location services today and know exactly where my daughters have been. I just don’t get the delay.

Unless they know and there is an investigation/search going on by LE elsewhere.

Traymar, puakenikeni, cass523 and 5 others like this.
  12. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Well she's an adult and most likely on her own plan (unless she's on a shared plan). I would assume unless someone is able to hack her account, they need a subpoena to the phone company to release the records.

I believe they most likely have the info and it's the reason they are continuing to focus on the forest search.

Traymar, cass523, human and 2 others like this.
  13. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

When I run in certain places I put my keyfob in a plastic pill bottle and hide it under a rock- I am paranoid about losing it somewhere along a 5 or ten mile path.

The day this happened I went on a bunch of running apps and found many people who had run that loop trail at about the same time.

I am sure LE knows about apps like Strava.

Their full names are available to LE on the app, all they have to do is signup for a free account.

I am surprised nobody saw her running.

Traymar, Rural_PC, almagata and 12 others like this.
  14. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

As far as I have seen, the only thing LE has said regarding this is that her friends have said Amanda likes to “unplug”, so it is not odd that she left her phone in the RAV. Nobody has said anything about the likely hood of her leaving other valuables in plain site. I still find that abnormal. I do not think she would do that.

puakenikeni and human like this.
  15. Momof4RN

Except during the press conference LE indicated they were initially concerned when she left her belongings out in the open but then dismissed it after her friends stated she like to unplug. IMO like you I don’t believe leaving your belongings out in the open has anything to do with unplugging but it was enough that LE wasn’t concerned.
    Police: No signs of foul play in Amanda Eller case | News, Sports, Jobs - Maui News

16. Momof4RN

If you have an iPhone location services is in your settings on the phone. Don’t need phone records. Not sure what type of phone she has tho and also not sure if there is a similar feature on Android.
    Guess it would just be nice if LE could give an update on what if anything they were able to find that they stated they were working on during last PC. (Ie phone, car, more surveillance, people and vehicles of interest in parking lot). If nothing more has come up then great she’s in the forest and they haven’t found her yet but if there has been something discovered then all those volunteers are wasting their time (and Amanda’s) searching in the wrong place.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    yankeetiger, puakenikeni and human like this.
  17. msnewzealand

msnewzealand Member

I'm not entirely convinced it was HER phone. It was found with zero contacts in it. Why would you delete every contact?

Ccging, cass523 and human like this.
  18. Momof4RN

I know that has been said before on this thread but where can I find that verified? Don’t believe it was stated in PC. That would have to be the most suspicious thing about this whole thing, if true, because no one has zero contacts in their phone. At the very least she would have her moms who she spoke to the day before.

missingm and human like this.
  19. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

Aren’t they getting to the point now that she is unlikely to be in that forest?

She apparently went for a hike and/or jog without water, phone or backpack which would lead me to believe she wasn’t planning on going very far or for very long.

It sounds like they have searched every nook and cranny deep into this forest.

At what point do they come to the conclusion that she is not in there?

puakenikeni, Rhenish, cass523 and 3 others like this.
  20. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

This is what I am saying.

They admitted to being concerned and suspicious that she left valuables in plain site. Their excuse for no longer being suspicious of that does not actually address the issue at hand. LE is not that stupid. They avoided giving a full answer to that concern.

To me, based on their own words, LE is still concerned and suspicious of the valuables being left in plain view. JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.