HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

I have and probably will again. It’s a mix of being scattered brained and thinking “it won’t happen to me.” My bf on the other hand... he locks everything down like Fort Knox when we get out of his vehicle. All visible valuables go into the locking console, glove box or locking truck bed. I just hop out with my things out in the open and go about my way. So if my stuff was out in the open and I was being sought it wouldn’t be unusual. If my bf was being sought and his valuables were out in the open we would know something wasn’t right.

Just saying that everyone is different.

2. Astro71

They didn’t set the page up as a group (it’s set up as a business which is why there’s an option to leave a review) so the usual search magnifying glass is missing. On a computer you can search posts though. You click on Posts on the left side of the page then on the right side of the page under Send Message you can search key words.

I went ahead and searched and all I found about the neighbor was that she initially said that the police were at Amanda’s house on Wednesday but it was verified that she was confused and it was actually on Thursday. This was a rumor that was cleared up. Could that be what you’re thinking about?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Traymar, Mizzamzz, cass523 and 2 others like this.
  3. HaikuMommy

HaikuMommy Active Member

I don’t know... some missing hikers have been searched for extensively & not found for years — then remains finally found showing they were lost/injured and not abducted. Crevices and cliffs and bodies of water and gulches and dense vegetation and caves where one might have sought shelter... it’s not easy to be SURE you’ve searched every inch. I think it’s important to keep searching and re-searching the same areas during time decomposition smell could be strong (sadly). I don’t rule out abduction though.

Traymar, darmela, altissima and 15 others like this.
  4. poppydarling

poppydarling New Member

I’m new to this thread but have tried to read it- so I apologize if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but were her flip
    Flops found in the car? Or hiking boots/running shoes? The video at the post office shows her in flip flops. I can’t imagine she would hike or run in those- so if she went from the post office to the Forrest, she likely had a pair of alternative shoes with her. If she had a chance to change shoes, we would know based on what is in the car. Example: if the flip flops are in the car we would know she changed into running shoes or boots. Just a thought I hadn’t seen yet.

cpeacock1 and cass523 like this.
  5. CaseyLPC

CaseyLPC Licensed Professional Counselor

@poppydarling it was stated in an article that her flip flops were found in the car and her running/hiking shoes were missing. It is believed that she changed, locked the car, and stashed the key under the tire before disappearing.

Traymar, cpeacock1, jash and 5 others like this.
  6. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Yes, her flip-flops were found in the car and a pair of running shoes is missing.

...which is one of the things that is bothering me. Running shoes just doesn't seem like the right footwear for taking the hunting trails. But maybe it's all she had.

jash, cass523 and Elliot_Alderson like this.
  7. Astro71

Yes. The flip flops she was wearing in the video were found in her car indicating that she changed into athletic shoes.

jash, cass523 and human like this.
  8. Astro71

I agree. I was reading other stories of missing hikers/joggers/adventurers and read one where a man’s body had been passed over s few times by searchers and search dogs. They speculated that it was because he was submerged in a pool of water.

human, Mauig’ma, Suglo and 2 others like this.
  9. poppydarling

poppydarling New Member

Alright thanks! Sorry for being redundant- interesting she had the time/took the time to change into other shoes but didn’t hide her valuables.

jash, human, cass523 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

With nothing new I'm still pondering Amanda making a note about the package to mom and being at the post office on the date she knew it would arrive by Mothers Day. That's so strange to me since Mom was out of the country and would not even be home by then.
    I see they have brought in a new search and rescue group.
    How good are the MPD who are leading this hunt for Amanda. Are they just 'locals' or are they highly trained detectives working this case?

cass523 likes this.
  11. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

We don’t really know when her family was due back from vacation. They left Friday for Maui as soon as they got the news. However, they very well could have been scheduled to be back home Fri, Sat, Sun, or even Monday the day the package arrived.

Suglo and Cardinal47 like this.
  12. Momof4RN

Regarding the no contacts on her phone I have searched and can’t find this information verified anywhere. Does anyone know when and where that was stated?

cass523 and NameUser like this.
  13. FactFinder3000

I believe this to be false information. Sarah said that she wanted to contact the family but there were no phone numbers on Amanda's phone, only emails. I believe she meant there were no phone numbers for the family, not that there were no phone numbers at all. It's still puzzling why she wouldn't have phone numbers for her family, though. It might be because it was a new phone or possibly because her plan didn't include out of state calls and she only phoned them from a home phone.

jash, MerBeach, cass523 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Momof4RN

15. Momof4RN

Thanks! That would make more sense than no contacts at all. Or maybe it was a work phone and she didn’t have personal phone numbers on it.

human and wary like this.
  16. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

Spot on.

That forest has very dense foliage and ground cover. It's impossible to search all of it, even with well coordinated grid searches. She could have been adventurous that day and is out of the search area entirely. I believe she had a tragic fall and is completely hidden under the ground cover. This may sound crazy but someone falling and getting caught up in a tree is not unheard of either. There's also the possibility that she drowned, especially if loved ones said she enjoyed the waterfalls and a swim. Even with all the boots on the ground by very well trained people can still result in her being there but not found. Usually after a long period of time other hikers or hunters happen upon the missing.

I believe she left her belongings exactly how they were found. This will not be well received by some but I would believe self harm over abduction. But I really do think she set off to enjoy her day and suffered a deadly fall, possibly with the ground giving way on her. I'm sure they are looking for signs of disturbed ground or foliage. Needle in a haystack.

Traymar, altissima, La Louve and 14 others like this.
  17. Momof4RN

The self harm theory is a stretch for me. Doesn’t make sense. She originally had plans to be with a friend. When those fell through the night before I can’t imagine her changing her plans to self harm. Nor can I imagine why she would go to market to buy water and power bar if her intent was to cause herself harm. And why change her shoes?

jash, Flurries, cass523 and 1 other person like this.
  18. FactFinder3000

She had a reminder set to mail the package at 10. Was the friend going to come with her?

Cardinal47 likes this.
  19. CoolJ

CoolJ Well-Known Member

I still consider an accident the highest probability. Just not as strongly as i did when this first happened.

20. NameUser

NameUser Well-Known Member

Try using the manual Lock from your passenger side door. That should work to lock the car, with the door ajar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.