HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

IMO, this new info changes the timeline only if we know Amanda herself mailed that package. If it had a printed-at-home postage paid mailing label, then anyone could’ve just dropped it in one of the mailboxes or package deposit boxes, without even going inside the post office (or beyond the lobby, where the postage and package deposit machines are typically located).

I noted that the update makes a distinction between the package being “dropped” at the Haiku P.O. and it being “scanned at the receiving counter”—I am interpreting this to mean someone literally dropped the package into one of the receptacles at the P.O. at some point after it’d last been emptied (I’m not sure about HI, but my local P.O. empties its mailboxes once in the A.M., midday, and closing time—the exact times appear on a sticker on the front of each mailbox). Then, when those receptacles were emptied (sometime before 10:19 A.M.) the package was then scanned into the system.
    Is there any way to find out when the Haiku P.O. collects the outbound mail or packages from its mailboxes/postage and package deposit machines?

2. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Or if she received and kept a receipt, with tracking number to follow package to its destination. May be somewhere with her belongings or in her home.

3. MauiJen

MauiJen Well-Known Member

I was suspicious of this and afraid of this. I feel like if she was there that morning, more people would have come forward with positive sightings of her. It’s too busy of an area for her not to have been seen by more people. I don’t know if I’m supposed to say these kinds of things here, but I don’t think she was ever in that forest. I hope I’m wrong. But this entire search in this area seems very orchestrated to me. The entire reason there’s a search there is because Ben “feels” like that’s where she is, and then conveniently her car was found there after he reports her missing and tells police he thinks she might have gone for a hike / run in the forest. She didn’t tell a single person she was going there. If she went there Wednesday morning, more people would have seen her either there or on the way there.

I have to believe MPD is checking into all of this right now and just not sharing it with the public for a reason. I’m hoping MPD learned from mistakes in the Charli Scott case and is not disclosing anything until they are certain about it.

4. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Well according to the update they do have footage of her car leaving “the building” (I am assuming building is post office) 2 min. after the package was scanned in. I wonder if they can see whether or not it was her driving her car.

5. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

On the official FB page, Sarah is the one who says she’d just gotten “time-stamped videos of her car leaving the parking lot” in response to someone asking if Amanda might’ve dropped the package earlier. It seems weird that such footage wasn’t sent directly to the police, no? It’s possible they might’ve given the footage to Sarah...but then you’d think she’d have mentioned it that way on FB.

It seems a little convenient that right after people on that page started pointing out all the reasons that the package’s scan time at the P.O. didn’t necessarily place Amanda at the P.O. around that time, someone (unspecified) happens to come forward with time stamped footage that seems to conclusively undercut these doubts and prove Amanda *was* there...MOO, of course.

6. lucky181

lucky181 Active Member

On the 6pm KHON news, her father said that a dog followed her scent on a trail in the forest and then it ended. Sarah said that she has her laptop now and is looking at it for any information. I don't know if she is the person looking at the laptop but I would hope the police would be looking at it.

The news is still on so there is no link to the report but it should be available later.

Hawaii News, Weather & Traffic | KHON2.com

7. GarAndTeed

GarAndTeed Well-Known Member

Excellent question, @human !

realanastasia, cass523, human and 3 others like this.
  8. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Yes it IS weird! Everything about this is weird and just doesn’t ring true.

9. sassyblue

sassyblue Well-Known Member

If the package was mailed with a printed at home mailing label there was no receipt given to her at the post office...her receipt with the tracking number would be on the computer that she purchased the prepaid mailing label on.

And it would be easier to drop the package in a bin as there is no point in waiting in line at a counter if it already has a prepaid label on it. And when it was scanned would not reflect on when the package was dropped in a bin.

10. MauiJen

If Amanda was at the PO in Haiku Wednesday morning, I want to know where all the people are who absolutely would have seen her there! If she dropped off that package, she would have had to get out of her car and walk it inside. That PO is TINY and I’m pretty sure when you mail a package you have to hand it to a real live person - there’s no package drop box or kiosk thing at that little PO. But that tiny PO services a huge area of rural east Maui - its always busy, the parking lot is always full, along with all the little stores around it. Someone in the community would have seen her at that PO! This is another example of Sarah, who barely knows Amanda, but is really close to Ben, controlling the information that the public has, as well as totally controlling the volunteer side of this investigation. I seriously hope MPD has the laptop, not Sarah!! I have to think MPD is on top of this. Way too many red flags.

11. MauiJen

See my comment above about the Haiku PO. No drop box there. It’s tiny. You have to hand packages to someone across the counter. Unless there’s a literal bin on the floor or counter to place a package into that I just haven’t noticed, but she’d still have to go inside. This is a very small, rural PO.

12. book-thinker

book-thinker Well-Known Member

The police and fire ended the search for Amanda after a couple of days. A 72 hour search is crazy unless it's because of their limited resources. Volunteer's are helping with the search. I understand some areas are muddy, if she was running off trail and slipped off a ledge, she could be down a gulch. Rappellers are searching the bottom of gulches,
    nothing yet in locating her.
    This has to be horrible for Amanda's family. This whole thing is strange.

13. MauiJen

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/13/six-days-missing-where-could-amanda-eller-be/?t=1557790184

“Maui Now reached out to Maui Police today to see if there were any suspects or significant leads. Lt. Gregg Okamoto, the Public Information Officer for the Maui Police Department said the MPD has not come to any conclusions yet, and was unable to comment further. He said that at this time, the incident is still classified as a missing person case unless there is any type of new information received.”

Pretty thorough article posted this afternoon. Focuses a lot of BF.

14. proctorelites

proctorelites Well-Known Member

@MauiJen thanks for sharing. I would be insulted if my education & private practice were omitted by my representatives if I went missing. I have no doubt Amanda worked incredibly hard for her education. Feels like she's being minimized a bit, its an entire aspect of her life & she's downplayed as yoga instructor only by S, IMOO. That info could be very important to the case but apparently its irrelevant fact. I dislike the narrative b/c it's the narrative (someone barely known to Amanda) chose to present IMO. LE is watching this unfold & S is leading the way. If she has Amanda's laptop wonder if LE got access?
    I do have a curiosity. Was B a little overshadowed by such a dynamic woman? Does S know she held a Doctorate in PT w/ a private practice? I could see that being a source of resentment for a man of a relationship IMOO
    Please somebody encourage Amanda's family to get Amanda's office, house & car keys & especially her laptop if its in the possession of anyone other than LE. I blv her bf & S would want the family to have those possessions in an effort to promote transparency. Where is the car? Did I miss that? Is LE taking evidence at all?
    Edit to decrease post & it ended up longer..eeeek sorry.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  15. MauiJen

MPD did tow the car Thursday morning, presumably to be processed for evidence, but there’s been NO info disclosed to the public from MPD.

16. proctorelites

proctorelites Well-Known Member

That gives me some measure of relief.

La Louve, GarAndTeed and Alice253 like this.
  17. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

So, apparently Ben was given a polygraph by the police very early on and passed, and has been ruled out as a suspect by the police, at least according to Amanda's grandmother.

Missing Yoga Teacher’s Boyfriend ‘Polygraphed’ By Police

“He has been questioned and polygraphed,” Ann Eller told Radar.

Ann said Amanda’s boyfriend was questioned “early on” before the missing woman’s family even received word of her disappearance.

“Husbands or boyfriends are always the first suspect, so apparently that was done before the family found out,” Ann explained. “The family didn’t find out until Friday afternoon.”
    Amanda’s grandmother told Radar that the boyfriend has since been cleared by police and is not considered a suspect.

18. Loio

Loio Active Member

This.

My husband went up there to search today. Felt like he was wasting his time. First of all, I get that Amanda’s car was found in lower first lot and that’s base camp for her search party HOWEVER volunteers are being asked to park at the upper lot, a good 500 yards up a rather steep incline. Volunteers then head BACK UP to hike it out. In true volcano fashion, please understand that Maui’s Haleakala mountain is south on the globe. To hike “north” on this mountain, you are actually hiking downhill. So my husband says why not start SOUTH/UPHILL and head north where gravity is our ally? Anyway, just a local’s perspective.

Maui Jen... thanks for the info on Sarah and Ben. I felt like something was hinky from the beginning. Especially since Amanda’s former running mates from FL and beyond seem to contradict what Ben and Sarah are saying about her running habits. And for the record, the trailhead she was parked at is not really designed for running. Hiking, walking and hunting, yes!

19. R.bread

R.bread Active Member

I am very suspicious of sarah and the bf. I'm on maui and saw the press conference on a live fb feed. I instantly thought it was strange that right off the bat she was adamant that the bf could not have had any involvement in her disappearanace due to his gentle nature and logistical impossibility of him getting her car there. What a strange thing to say... suggestive that the car was staged there... contradictory to their belief that she went for a run.

Then watching the bf's posture and body language, coupled with his "strong inner guidance" that she is alive and well in the ne area of the parking lot was extra strange... not to mention the plug for a "fundme" account... to then to have sarah shut him down and contradict that statement... weird

At the time i saw it i assumed sarah was a long time maui resident and close friend to the family, so after learning that shes new here, didnt know amanda, but knows the bf well makes me more suspicious of their earlier statements and her involvement as spokesperson. Another weird thing she says at around 8:40 of the press conference, was "if you know who did this" to call crimestoppers.

20. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

this. this is all i could concentrate on during that press conference. bf's body language and that arm strongly across his chest (blocking out danger/building a barrier) caused me to google it and read up on what it can signify. i know body language is not foolproof, but it's certainly interesting, as is insisting he is not a suspect from the get-go. wut? but he lead them to her car based on a soul connection aka a hunch? hmm. MOO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.