HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

I've been on websleuths for over 5 years. Not exactly new to this. There is absolutely nothing pointing toward the boyfriend at this point. Folks want to suspect him anyway, apparently, based on their own personal prejudices. But there is nothing at all to implicate him at this point. Nothing.

2. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

I agree.

Nothing points to him right now. Jmo

Traymar, SaintGirl, j_in_c and 4 others like this.
  3. Mizzamzz

Mizzamzz Member

@Astro71 thank you for that!
    I had a look via desktop yesterday to see if I could find a search option & had no luck, so I’ll try your suggestion.

I also saw the post about the neighbour being confused about when the police were at the house, but that’s not what I was thinking of. So I’ll do some searching around and post a link if I find what I’m after.

Astro71 likes this.
  4. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

From looking on Gmaps and a park trail map Makawao Forest - Kahakapao Trails

the reserve isn't that large, probably just 3 sq miles or so. The terrain is complicated, so you can't cross easily from one area to another, but there are quite a lot of trails. I can't imagine Amanda, after all this time, to be still wandering around those trails and not have been found.

From Gmaps and the images we've seen of search maps, the reserve appears to be adjacent, on the east side, to a truly vast forest, as far as the coastline. I don't know what would be involved in crossing the boundary of the forest reserve onto what I assume is private land

I've learned several things from following many lost hiker cases:

-They can be found in locations that were inconceivable to the searchers. My first WS case was the Dutch girls lost in Panama. No one knows why on earth they went off the already remote trail they were on, or where, but they did. They then wandered in completely the wrong direction, for 11 days.

- Sometimes lost people become extremely irrational. Panic or despair can overwhelm them. They can end up, as Gerry Largay did, basically hiding from searchers, because they've given up hope.

- Searchers can repeatedly walk very near a body that blends into undergrowth. This has happened numerous times. Searchers can't walk every inch of terrain, they can't be looking in all directions at once, and they probably get distracted more often than they admit, being out there for hours.

-very often, hikers have an accident by falling. It doesn't take a long fall to become too injured to move very far.

Finally, I've learned that missing female hikers are assumed by the majority of people who comment on social media, to be the victim of foul play. Perhaps it's simple sexism, that a female can't possibly be adventurous and take physical risks that have negative consequences.

5. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Yes, Jon Haynes that has a short thread is, I believe, her brother.

6. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Didn’t know another person missing on Maui, in Iao Valley, authorities say unrelated.

7. otto

otto On Time Out

Hello. No one cares about social media troubles.
    Good luck, but not here.
    Seethe elsewhere with face book social media.

8. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

9. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Update on FB today says there is still no evidence of foul play but they r following up on all leads and theories. Also appears they are still in search of the white van and blue truck and have requested anyone who was at that forest that day to contact MPD. Search continues. Gosh where r u Amanda?

Mistree, iluvmua, cass523 and 4 others like this.
  10. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

11. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Only allowed to quote admins of the official page with link to that page. (We all know that page anyway.) Also can link victim page and a suspect page, if one is named by LE. If there ever becomes a suspect, but FYI in case you follow other cases.

12. Maljako

Maljako Active Member

Just a quick note regarding the question why SH or the Eller family are looking through Amanda's laptop/banking records etc. They might not be. Look how SH uses "we" here (this is from Findamanda on 12 May):

"We are very actively searching in the forest, and we are also leaving no stone unturned in terms of foul play. We are investigating those close to Amanda, any problem people in her life, we are pulling her credit card use, we are investigating her cell phone, her Facebook, everything."

At this point it was definitely the LE who had Amanda's phone, and I'm sure it would also be LE who would do most of the investigating into Amanda's near and dear. SH seems to use "we" interchangeably, here and elsewhere, for a) the forest search b) Amanda's friends and family c) the people with access to post on Findamanda and, importantly d) the police team working on Amanda's case.

If the police keep her in the loop and communicate with her and the family regularly it's not perhaps strange that she feels like they're all part of the same team (which is absolutely not always the case between LE and a missing person's family!). It just might confuse us onlookers when she says "we" about something only the police are physically doing but she expects them to share the results with her/family. BF handed his electronics to the police early on, so it would be rather crazy if the family was instead holding on to Amanda's.

SaintGirl, cass523, Momof4RN and 9 others like this.
  13. HelpingHeart

HelpingHeart Well-Known Member

Ok, so probably not a big chance of her being lost in they type of terrain, more so injured, or not in there at all.
    Wow, just looked up the Dutch girls story, that does seem like foul play to me.

bradfordsleuth and CoolJ like this.
  14. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Exactly. Initially people on the internet refused to believe they even went hiking and were convinced they'd been abducted from town, and then even though their phones and camera were recovered PROVING they'd been hiking and gotten lost in the jungle, the internet is still full of conspiracy theories, that they can't possibly have gotten lost hiking. I don't know why, people wouldn't believe that if they'd been young men, I think it's only because they were attractive girls.

Many people on here and the internet were convinced Gerry Largay's husband must have off'd her. When she was recovered, her journal was found, she'd spent her days writing loving thoughts and goodbye to her husband. There's probably people out their convinced he forged it and left it behind.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  15. cpeacock1

cpeacock1 Well-Known Member

Checking in this morning. Always hoping for a good outcome for AE.

16. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Men abduct women. Not so much the other way around.

HaikuMommy, tigerteeth, human and 7 others like this.
  17. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

Sorry. It’s literally the only place to obtain details from those searching. It’s frustrating combing through the commenters offering nothing but troll like behavior. Apologies for my previous rant and this one. :)

Traymar, jash, HaikuMommy and 7 others like this.
  18. Cagle

Cagle Well-Known Member

I may have missed this, as I'm not keeping up with it as much as some of you, but have they brought in cadaver dogs yet?

Mistree likes this.
  19. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

They have.

IMO, they may need to start tying these HRD dogs in and start rappelling with them. Totally possible they are already doing that. The search area is pretty large.

They have also secured FEMA dogs. That's a big deal.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Suglo, Mistree, cass523 and 5 others like this.
  20. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

I hope they also have somebody in LE looking for suspects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.