HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

When I hike I take two fresh bottles with me and always have 3-4 bottles in the truck, we call them truck water. They do in a pinch when we need to wash our hands or wet a towel, etc..

MerBeach, HaikuMommy and K9Enzo like this.
  2. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Great article full of details, timelines, etc:

Day 13: ‘Let’s Keep This Search Going’

MAKAWAO, Maui–May 21, 2019 0621am

Team leader Chris Berquist described for Maui Now the Makawao Forest Reserve search for Amanda Eller to date, and outlined search plans for the coming days.
    Volunteers conducted 210 search hours on Monday, May 20, 2019; the GPS search saturation map is continuing to fill in.

On Monday, a second dog team relieved the team from Kaua‘i that has worked for the past two days.

The Maui Police Department is also bringing a search-and-rescue dog on Tuesday to help clear some of the lower area on the map where human volunteers aren’t going to be as effective.

snip

Based on what was left in the car (phone, water, wallet), searchers believe that she may be “reasonably close.”

Plans include continuing use use of infrared (FLIR) paired with the helicopter to scan the forest pushing out to Ha‘ikū and Hāna.

“We believe this is going to be one of our most effective tools for extending our search boundary in the known area,” said Berquist. “These FLIR (Forward Looking InfraRed) units are accurate enough to find bee hives from 1,300 feet out.

Although the official search had been called off, Berquist said many agencies are participating in or supporting the search, including the Maui Police Department, Maui Fire Department, East Maui Irrigation, the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, the National Park Service, Maui County Department of Water Supply, Maui Search and Rescue, Kaua‘i Search and Rescue, as well as all of the ranch managers and owners who have been accommodating and cooperative.

“We need to keep this search going,” said Berquist. “When we just stick to the facts, and leave the conjecture and hypotheses at the door, we still have a missing girl in the woods and no facts to point in any other direction… We can’t solve the unsolvable, but we can find people in the woods, of that I am confident.”

“… we have no intention of stopping any time soon… lets keep hammering out the search zone,” said Berquist.

What is needed:

More volunteers: “We still have blank spots to fill in so I still need your help,” said Berquist. “I say it every day and I’ll keep saying it. It doesn’t happen without you.”

Rappellers: A lot of the terrain in the immediate area is steep and not very safe for your average volunteer. Rappellers comfortable in a harness with a figure 8 are needed.

Food: Current needs include sandwiches and wraps—especially breakfast wraps and sandwiches. They are all out of brownies, as well.

Drivers: Drivers are needed to stand by to pick up tired hikers throughout the day and at the end of the day.

FAA-certified drone pilots: While there’s not always a flight plan ready, Berquist said it is invaluable when the team reports an area that needs a drone check, and he has a pilot on standby.

snip

[​IMG]
    Search map key: The yellow circle represents a 4-mile circumference (2-mile radius) centered on the parking lot where Amanda Eller’s car was found on Thursday, May 9, 2019. Red lines are tracking dogs; blue lines are volunteer searchers; green lines are drones. May, 19, 2019. PC: Debra Lordan

cpeacock1, Traymar, cass523 and 6 others like this.
  3. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

Interesting:
    - where rake was
    -SPORT BRA
    - wheel barrow

Traymar, njbchgal, otto and 7 others like this.
  4. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

human likes this.
  5. Bugurl747

Amanda's brother Chris is helping with the search and Elena Pray team coordinator and rappeller:

[​IMG]
    Volunteers check out the most recent search map date, May 18, 2019.
    On the right is Amanda Eller’s brother, Chris.

[​IMG]
    Team coordinator and rappeller Elena Pray gears up for the day’s search on May 18, 2019.

[​IMG]
    Volunteer searchers stop for a food break, May 18, 2019.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/21/day-13-lets-keep-this-search-going/

jash, otto, human and 1 other person like this.
  6. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

I've been trying to search initial news reports on Amanda Eller's missing announcement. I seem to remember that Sarah Haynes also lived in the house with Ben and Amanda. Does anyone else remember seeing that SH was a roommate? I know she says she is good friends with Ben.

7. Bugurl747

Elena Pray Operations coordinator talks about new scent dogs used

Maui Now
    May 18, 2019

cass523, jash, CoolJ and 3 others like this.
  8. rebeccaeee

rebeccaeee Justice for Dylan!

"We can’t solve the unsolvable, but we can find people in the woods, of that I am confident.”- that lead searcher, Chris Berquist, is inspiring. Let us all hope he is right.

Traymar, cass523, jash and 10 others like this.
  9. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

10. Bugurl747

I wonder if we will hear any follow up on those items. They are a bit suspect considering the location.

Lots of litter/items found on trails.

Could be randoms...or not?

MOO

11. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

The key was found under the front driver's side tire.

12. Bugurl747

I agree. Right now he is a beam of light in the shadows.

I appreciated his knowledge and positivity that came through in that article.

MOO

SaintGirl and HulaMum like this.
  13. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

With lawful subpoena, court order ... they have to use their access powers strictly within the agreement they have with the account holder, otherwise as ordered by the court.

If the holder of the account has executed a financial power of attorney (not common for a healthy adult not expecting to go missing), has a joint account, mead designated authorized users.

For the person who mentioned online banking, we may not remember this, but when we sign up for using these services, the bank has a TOC.
    A person who signs is and is not the account holder or authorized is committing some variation of fraud. Some rules protect the bank from liability, while others protect the account holder, but there are rules.

Hawaii has some odd rules. For example the rule on who can have info on a person’s status medically if the person can’t communicate. They use an ohana model, one designated person (designated by the patient) receives updates and is to distribute to the ohana. No particular relationship like spouse has rights to know. That is not an issue here, but if she were found in a bad way and hospitalized, it would be.

Re the computer, you can hear at the end in one of the base camp short videos, her father saying he now has gotten the laptop from SH, so she did have it.

cass523, kay74, windrower and 2 others like this.
  14. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Hi, I’ve read the article twice and see no mention of these items. Where did this come from? I try to read all the replies, but I missed this. They didn’t find her sport bra, did they? Seems like that would be front page news.

15. Bugurl747

It is written on the image I posted in post #1242

It seems they are items found and the location during the search.

Nothing has been mentioned on MSM regarding said items.

MOO

cass523, jash, sassyblue and 4 others like this.
  16. almagata

almagata Well-Known Member

I did not include Steven Murphy because it is likely his body was found and it just did not make the news in a confirmation.

" A body was recovered Wednesday afternoon from the shoreline near Ohai Trail in Kahakuloa, a fire official said.Firefighters aboard the Fire Department’s Air One helicopter located the body and airlifted it to a landing zone near Kahekili Highway after firefighters were called to the area at 12:50 p.m., said Fire Services Chief Rylan Yatsushiro. He said a diver discovered the body.Yatsushiro said the Fire Department had no information to release about the identity of the body.On Nov. 13, police asked for the public’s help in locating a 58-year-old Steven Murphy of Haiku, whose van was found near Ohai Trail at Mile Marker 40 on Kahekili Highway."

This body was discovered in the right area in the right time frame to match Stephen Murphy.

I did not search back to the 1980's for missing people on Maui. Greg Prescott Farmer is also on the California missing person list. Personally, I believe Greg Farmer is alive and well.

I did look at quite a number of other people that were reported missing and most had been located alive or deceased or there was good evidence that they were lost at sea. Here is the list of people that I looked at that I did not include.
    Sage Barron - alive
    Winston Kalani- alive
    Dezarae Gest- alive
    Tyahra Hashimoto-Kekona- alive
    Todd Ripplinger- presumed lost at sea
    Steven Murphy- likely body found near Ohai Trail near where he was reported missing
    John Thomas Madigan III- alive (information sent to Maui PD by me to confirm)
    Roger Brittain - presumed lost at sea
    Robert Amaral - presumed lost at sea
    Amber Langdon- alive
    Tony Castro - presumed lost at sea
    Greg Prescott Farmer - alive (information sent to NaMus by me to confirm)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    cass523 and puakenikeni like this.
  17. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

Under the tire? I think you mean, on top of the tire, under the fender area? If not, please share the link where you saw otherwise. Sadly, this is how rumors get started and we must be careful to be accurate. Not scolding you, I promise - we just want to make sure we are being factual here.

realanastasia and Mistree like this.
  18. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

Great to post that here and draw attention to that map, @Bugurl747, thanks. And those items (sports bra, wheelbarrow, rake, area where leaves were moved) must be significant, or the searchers think they are - enough to make note of it. Nothing else noted there in the areas searched earlier.

cass523, jash, Momof4RN and 4 others like this.
  19. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

20. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

The items are indicated on the map (click to enlarge) on post #1242

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.