HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Team leader Chris Berquist calls for volunteers to continue the search.

"We are nowhere close to stopping by any means."

Published on May 22, 2019

cass523, jash, borndem and 2 others like this.
  2. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

Bringing this forward for those that didn’t see the items listed on this map.

cass523, jash, KiKiD72 and 3 others like this.
  3. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

The overlay on the searcher map simply indicates "sportsbra" - we can probably safely assume a sports bra was found there. No inkling what condition it was it, nor any confirmation of any link to Amanda or anyone.

Traymar, cass523, SeattleStew and 6 others like this.
  4. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I must be an idiot, because I don’t see any overlay or marking or indication of a sports bra on that map. It was stated in a previous news article that they did find some shovels and items like that that were used for maintenance on the trails.

MerBeach, borndem and Mistree like this.
  5. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Disregard my previous post, I did see it. It’s in the upper portion of the map. Thank you

6. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

I marked them with yellow arrows

Attached Files:

7. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Thank you

Mistree and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  8. Bugurl747

Note emphasis on Dr. Amanda Eller:
    Two Weeks Missing: ‘We are Nowhere Close to Stopping’ the Search for Amanda Eller
    May 22, 12:17 PM

"Dr. Amanda Eller, a Maui physical therapist and yoga instructor, has been missing for two weeks as of today, Wednesday, May 22. 2019.

Hundreds of volunteers have expended close to 5,000 man-hours of time searching for her in the Makawao Forest Reserve area, but as of the morning of May 22, no signs have been uncovered that have led to Eller’s rescue.

However, volunteer search team enthusiasm and energy remain positive, with a solid plan in place to keep moving forward until she is found.

Tuesday’s volunteers “chased down” a few tips around the area and covered more blank spots in the immediate saturation area. The second search dog team from Kaua‘i worked south from the Olinda gate and then headed west down to Haleakalā Highway.

“We sent a strong team with ropes into another area that had some tough terrain, but the possibility of water,” said Berquis

“We are working in a radius from the parking area where Amanda’s car was found, then extending out into the trail systems,” said Berquist. “There is no reason to move on from this plan until we have thoroughly cleared this area.”

Now that the area is becoming thoroughly saturated with GPS search data, Berquist said the base camp may move in the next few days in order to more efficiently expand. Larger searches will also be organized for the weekend, when more volunteers will be available.

Berquist reiterated that he has been in communication with other search-and-rescue operations across the country who have reported finding missing people of all ages weeks after they went missing, alive and relatively well, in terrain similar to Upcountry Maui—places with “far more predators, much colder temperatures and much scarier nights.” They find people dehydrated, confused and worn down, but alive and well.

“I hope you understand the peace of mind you’re helping bring to the family and the community to guarantee everything that can be done is being done—you as a community are helping do it,” Berquist wrote in his late-night update.

What is needed:

Video footage of the immediate area is needed for data mining by volunteers and the Maui Police Department. (See contact information below.)

Volunteer searchers of all levels, especially strong hikers who know the area and who have good endurance for a six to eight hour trek.

Drivers: Drivers are needed to stand by to pick up tired hikers throughout the day and at the end of the day.

Volunteer administrators to help with registration, logistics and computer work

Volunteers flier distributors for other areas of Maui.

Food, water, ice: Donations are still needed to sustain search volunteers."

snip

[​IMG]
    Team leader Chris Berquist with his trusty flip phone—amid sophisticated search technology
    https://mauinow.com/2019/05/22/two-...lose-to-stopping-the-search-for-amanda-eller/

Traymar, cass523, human and 2 others like this.
  9. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 Well-Known Member

I am so proud of the aloha spirit of Chris Berquist and everyone that tirelessly continues to search for Amanda. I am getting very concerned that if she were in the forest she would have been found by now but maybe she ventured out into an area that just hasn't been covered yet. The not knowing must be the worst as this nears 2 weeks of uncertainty. I can't imagine the agony.

cpeacock1, cass523, jash and 8 others like this.
  10. Bugurl747

I agree, Plumeria! Chris Berquist, Elena Pray, and Javier Cantellops seem like great focused team leaders.

"The search is based on facts, he said, leaving out emotional aspects, and social media criticism and conjecture.

“We are here to search for a missing girl in a known area,” said Berquist, adding that the volunteers are leaving the investigative work to the Maui Police Department. “We’re not here solve a crime, draw any conclusions or work off any hypothesis at this point. We’re just trying to work off the facts and do the best search possible.”

I have been scouring photos (included below) and can't get over how dense the forest is.

I don't underestimate how challenging the terrain is.

MOO

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/22/two-...lose-to-stopping-the-search-for-amanda-eller/

Attached Files:

cass523, Minou, jash and 12 others like this.
  11. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, first thing I did is check out her credentials. She's not a medical doctor but she does have a PhD in Physical Therapy from the University of Maryland East Shore in 2010, according to her linkedin.

Traymar, cass523, jash and 5 others like this.
  12. Plumeria5

Plumeria5 Well-Known Member

An ominous combination as well as the scrape/drag marks where leaves were moved. For what purpose did someone leave a rake/wheel barrow out in the forest?

cass523, jash, borndem and 7 others like this.
  13. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

I think this may be because I recall people being upset she was being referred to as “yoga instructor” in he beginning and making her sound unaccomplished when she in fact is educated with a PhD in physical therapy and runs her own practice.

Traymar, jash, otto and 2 others like this.
  14. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Really kinda creeped out about this. Could she have been buried? Would cadaver dogs still pick up a scent?

15. Bugurl747

Right, I emphasized that because initially she was referred to as a missing yoga instructor in the media.

PR matters in my opinion and it is stepping up.

I am thoroughly impressed with the recent articles written by Debra Lordan, and the search team they have in place.

The team leads are organized, motivated, clear, and concise and they are relaying information in a proactive effective way, IMO.

I'm glad the family and friends have this support at this time. They are no longer in the forefront trying to handle it all, a relief I am sure.

MOO

cpeacock1, Traymar, jash and 9 others like this.
  16. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

It’s an incredibly beautiful place. It is vast though and dense with vegetation. Anywhere off the main hiking trails though are difficult to search thoroughly. Looking for someone lying down unresponsive is very different than looking for someone upright and vocal. Easy to miss something even 10 feet away visually unfortunately. The dogs become the best resource in this case and we’re in the time window for that and there is still great likelihood she can be found soon. The searchers have been incredible.

cass523, jash, human and 6 others like this.
  17. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

If I ever go missing please have this man search for me. He really brings the search for Amanda in focus. I like that they are covering the same ground over and over. It's dense and how many times have we heard searchers were ten feet away from where bones or remains were found. A real needle in a haystack but he soldiers on. God's speed to this wonderful man.

Chris Berquist
    "The search is based on facts, he said, leaving out emotional aspects, and social media criticism and conjecture.

“We are here to search for a missing girl in a known area,” said Berquist, adding that the volunteers are leaving the investigative work to the Maui Police Department. “We’re not here solve a crime, draw any conclusions or work off any hypothesis at this point. We’re just trying to work off the facts and do the best search possible.”

Traymar, Plumeria5, cass523 and 17 others like this.
  18. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

Also, no description of the sports bra. Amanda's had multiple crossed straps on the back

cass523, human and Cardinal47 like this.
  19. MauiCare

MauiCare Well-Known Member

Regarding spokesperson Sarah Haynes and Amanda’s boyfriend Benjamin, it’s very unfortunate that there have been so many trolls and mean comments. I think a positive thing about the suspicions and speculations though is that it got more people’s attention and interest in finding Amanda, which is the priority no matter the circumstances. I think the Find Amanda page is actually doing a great job of giving information that elicits help while not leaking information that could compromise a foul play investigation.

20. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I'm curious and you seem familiar with the area. How far from the main trails would the drop off's be? I'm wondering if one needed a restroom break and left the main trail to venture say 10 - 20 ft into the brush could they fall off?

Also how familiar with these woods would hikers and runners be?
    When I was young we played in the woods all day. We knew every inch of them.

I'm still kind of pondering that no search dogs caught any scent of Amanda beyond her car. That troubles me.

cass523, Mistree, jash and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.